OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Broken reticle on IOR scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken reticle on IOR scope
    Posted: August/06/2013 at 10:36
Hi

A college of mine gave me an IOR 4-14 x 50 scope for my .223 rem.  It's isn't my main rifle and I haven't got one for backup at the moment so I'm glad to use it. If I like it, he would make me a good offer..

The problem is that there is a black dot, I asume on the reticle layer. It's a FFP scope.
So I'm asking my self what went wrong, I cant image that the quality control at IOR failed that bad, do you thing its possible to fix it?

Thx

riffer
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 11:06
They use etched reticles, so it is not a broker reticle.  It is a piece of annodizing from inside the scope tube that has bounced up onto the glass.

Take the scope and whack it on a phone book a few times and see if it breaks it loose.  They put grease inside the scope tubes to catch that but sometimes they still fly up.

I have had that happen to several brands of scopes, IOR included.  On all but one smacking it on a phone book took care of it.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 11:28
That is interal debris from inside the scope.

Exactly what Supertool explained. There is a grease inside that is supposed to catch minute things like that, and while it can be anoying, sometimes if you shoot another round, it will break loose and drop.

If it doesn't, I would contact IOR in Colorado and see what they can do about having the scope repaired.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 11:46
Yep. Had the same issue on a USO. Bumping, as suggested, didn't fix mine, but it's an excellent place to start.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 11:46
Welcome to Optics Talk.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2013 at 05:50
[ "debris"..........sounds like My Life!! ]    Laugh
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic