OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage Weaver Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Weaver Scopes
    Posted: August/05/2013 at 20:20
I have a dozen or so vintage Weaver scopes and was wondering where I can get information about them.  For an example I have a K4-F.  What does the F stand for?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 20:30
Originally posted by 303Lithgow 303Lithgow wrote:

What does the F stand for?

Just a guess..."fixed" power? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
303Lithgow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 20:37
That might be a good guess.  I know W is for wide.
303Lithgow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 20:42
Any idea what the objective distance would be?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 12:24
Originally posted by 303Lithgow 303Lithgow wrote:

Any idea what the objective distance would be?

I wouldn't know that. You might try contacting Weaver and asking them, friend. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2013 at 05:41
The F was just a series designation.  It's from the late sixties, early seventies.  Then they went to just plain K4 and then they improved things and had the K4-1, and finally they had the K4-II....They had other series designations all the way back to the fifties.....( the K4-60----the K4 60B----The K4 E....etc...)   
Visit the Ed Show
igotta40 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igotta40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2013 at 13:09
I have a Weaver J 2.5
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2013 at 16:40
That's an oldie.....pre-1965 stuff....
Visit the Ed Show
claimbuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claimbuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 06:36
Had an old K8 that I gave to a friend that my dad bought in 1953.  Still made in El Paso.
My wife says I don't listen to her....or something like that.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 09:10
What does the E stand for?
We had a K4-E, but I have never seen an E. I thought maybe it was modeled after a European design?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 10:11
No....E is just another model designation.  The K (whatever) -1s started like in 1974. Everything with a letter designation was prior to that.  The K 60's and 60B's and 60C's were 50s and early to mid 60s.  From 1974 till the end of the company, in 1983, they were all marked as -1s and, later, -II    (Steel-Lites on the box....) 

The 70s and early 80s Weavers were excellent scopes. Way better than the money they were asking for them.  I had several of them over the years.  I still have a like new K6-1 Micro Trac ( from 1979 ) that I am saving for a rainy day....and a rifle to put it on.  It weighs a whopping 15 oz!!  Stare

They were steel, so they were HEAVY....( about like all the Sewer Pipes they make today!! )  Shocked

What ever happened to a 9 oz scope??!!   

Visit the Ed Show
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 10:12
Thanks Ed, I was trying to figure out what the E signified.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 10:50
rifle-scope-weaver-micro-trac-k6-1-duplex-6x-power

Weaver K6-1 Micro-Trac

Here's one from ebay.  Mine is like Mint....

Here's a K6-II Micro-Trac Steel-Lite.....the last El Paso series ever made....my scope is shiny like this one...( This one also happens to be the optional WideView as seen by the flat ocular..)  

Visit the Ed Show
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 10:50
Dang, that's nice.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 10:52

The Weaver K4-1 Micro Trac is one of my All-Time favorites.  You can never have too many of these in your closet for rainy days....

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 10:56

....You never know when you're going to bump into a bunch of 300 Savages or 257 Roberts' while poking around...

Visit the Ed Show
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 10:58
They are very nice scopes. Here's the one we had up for auction.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 11:00
It was testy. The finish is such a high gloss every time I touch, you could see the evidence of handling while trying to photograph it.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 11:03
Those old Weavers were blued like your rifle.  They always matched!!  Thunbs Up

( You can also touch them up with Dicropan T4 from Brownells....)

Visit the Ed Show
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2016 at 11:07
Brady has a micro fiber towel I was using to wipe it down, but my camera picks up a lot of detail that you can't easily see with the naked I, until you load the image in photoshop. Then everything is more definitive and sticks out. I almost wanted to trash all of those pictures and re-shoot.  Loco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic