OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Brass: Your top 3 and bottom 1.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyalarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brass: Your top 3 and bottom 1.
    Posted: August/03/2013 at 21:26
If you had to pick your top 3 brass for reloading, and also pick the bottom 1. Who makes your list? (Ex. Norma, Lapua, Lake City, Remington, Winchester, Nosler, Federal, Hornady, etc).

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 21:27
N
L
F

REMINGTON
No one
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 21:29
norma, lapaua, do you need any more??Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
garyalarson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyalarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 21:48
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

norma, lapaua, do you need any more??Bucky

Pyro, what's your bottom 1?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 21:49
ive gotta say that remington has given me more troubles in my shooting career than any other brand has.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 22:25
For the top, for me at least, it's Lapua and Norma. I haven't had real long case life with Remington and Federal brass. From what I understand, Nosler brass is mostly Norma. If you can find RWS brass, it's also supposed to be real tough.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 12:29
Lapua #1  Love it have to special order it from Midway so I dont get much very often.
Remmington #2   <====<<<  what I usually buy they usually have 51 in a bag of 50 which is nice.
Winchester #3   what I buy if I cant get the Rem but it usually looks like factory seconds or thirds the reject brass that they did not use to load their ammunition, usually bent sometimes unuseable.

Military Brass   5.56 is the worst to deal with due to the crimped primer

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 12:43
Nosler
Norma
Remington

Winchester
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 13:36
Lapua all the way for me. Not even sure I even know or care what #2 or #3 might be, but Lake City is OK, I guess. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 13:50
#1. Lapua

#2. Nosler/Norma

#3. Winchester

#58. Federal
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 14:34
I've never had any trouble with Nosler, Rem, Win, Hornady, or Federal in getting great groups/loads for hunting rifles. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyalarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 20:32
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

#1. Lapua

#2. Nosler/Norma

#3. Winchester

#58. Federal

That's hilarious. Overwhelming boos for Federal.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 20:51
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I've never had any trouble with Nosler, Rem, Win, Hornady, or Federal in getting great groups/loads for hunting rifles. 

My knock on Federal isn't group size, it's longevity. Reload it it twice and the primers fall out.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 20:56
Thats interesting. I have some federal .308 i have load 8 or 9 times and it still works just fine. You must be loading it pretty hot to ruin it that quick
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 13:42
I have very limited experience with brass other than Winchester, probably because of the caliber I have the most experience reloading for is 300WSM. I have tried Fed and Remington, but like Winchester better due to the primer pockets lasting longer.

With my 7-08, it came with 100 pieces of brass. One box of 50 Remington, one box of 50 Lake City match(77). Both are head-stamped 308, but it works. LC definitely has better primer pockets than all the others I have tried.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 14:03
I've used a variety of brass, but generally have stuck with Lapua as my precision brass. It's been a while since I've checked, but it was always cheaper than Norma and just as highly regarded. Lapua has worked well and lasts a long time. There's no need to weigh or sort cases or deal with some of the other chores you get with lower quality brass.

A few years ago, I was given a variety of .308 ammo that was surplus and saved all the brass out of habit. But I rarely bother loading any of it. One thing I did early on when I started handloading that I wouldn't do again is buy used brass where I had no idea how many firings it had been through. I picked up a bunch of LC brass - some pre-primed - from an estate sale. The previous owner had no words to say on the subject. It shot fine, but I discarded it after two firings.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 14:57
I use a fair variety of brass and aside from differences between manufacturers, there is also a difference between calibers for most manufacturers (don't ask me why).

Overall:

#1. Lapua
#2. Norma (my Norma 338LM brass is so close to Lapua it is hard to tell the difference)
#3. Lake City 5.56 brass has been good to me
#4. Jamison brass has worked well, but in a very limited sampling
#5. ????
#100. Hornady and Winchester has worked OK in some calibers
#700,000 Remington, Federal, etc.
#900,000 PPU

As a general rule, I try to use Lapua when available.  For higher volume cartridges, I can't afford Lapua, so I use Lake City for 5.56 and occasionally a few others.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyalarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 15:06
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

#900,000 PPU

For rating for PPU is that for rifle brass? I ask because I've bought .308 PPU Match 168 and love that brass. No problems at all.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 16:22
Originally posted by garyalarson garyalarson wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

#900,000 PPU

For rating for PPU is that for rifle brass? I ask because I've bought .308 PPU Match 168 and love that brass. No problems at all.

Yep.

I have seen a lot of PPU brass and it varies so wildly that I have to rank it low.

ILya
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 17:53
I have done the PPU .338LM, the .308 Match, and the .223PPU and was not impressed or unimpressed, It is an alternative, I am on my 3rd round of .338LM brass and it is still in spec and no issues.

I will however start looking at the .223PPU closer now that you say that about the Spec, I had some issues with primer pockets if I remember I thought it was the Cheap Tula Primers, during the Primer Craze...
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic