OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

marketing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marketing
    Posted: August/03/2013 at 12:45
It is funny how an retail outdoor store teaches it's employees on sales. The recommend caliber size keeps creep'n up for even whitetail. I over heard a salesman talk a fella into must have 375HH for hunting the eastern US a year or two ago. Also with scopes you know; "spend more on the optics than the firearm" pitch. I suppose it is part of our capitalistic based government in which I applaud the capitalism part that is.
It too also being in the social acceptance of hyper sue happy population - one can be liable for just about everything.

I say make a buck where and how ya can. Its just money ~~~~ their printing more and more everyday. Wink

Edited by pc4life - August/03/2013 at 12:50
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 13:00
I know someone on here who would think that is a small caliber they prefer the .458LOTT or similar.

They use the 375 for squirrels and crows if I remember...

No one
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 13:23
Ya, the wacky'ness 458 is OK but, 223 on an hundred pound whitetail is "unethical". Someone needs to tell those bears, moose, etc. in Alaska that the 22lr the survivalists are shooting them with CAN NOT KILL THEM!!!
AND the simple plex they are using is inadequate they NEED a Christmas tree with edge to edge clarity.

Both of the above have something in common ~~~~ moderation seems extreme.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 13:44
i love shooting whitetails with my .375H&H.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 13:50
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I know someone on here who would think that is a small caliber they prefer the .458LOTT or similar.

They use the 375 for squirrels and crows if I remember...

Elmer J. Fudd?
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 13:51
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i love shooting whitetails with my .375H&H.

How many do ya line up to shoot at a time?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 14:01
i count the success by how many trees  it goes through after killing the deer, my record so far is 4.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 14:04
Brush gun?
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 15:38
you can tell a "greenhorn" around these part by how overgrown his firearm is.

do you really need a 300 wb mag to shoot a white tail under your deer feeders 50 yards away?

but hey a good salesman can sell ice to an eskimo and rocks and sand to tango.

pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 15:52
Originally posted by JD548 JD548 wrote:

do you really need a 300 wb mag to shoot a white tail under your deer feeders 50 yards away?

No doubt. I saw on one of the high end glass sponsored hunt'n shows a guy was using a 30-378 on a mule deer and pronghorn hunt.

Between his glass and rifle AND caliber ~~~~ he must have been make'n up for an inadequate confidence or something physical, just a guess. Wink

Got to hone that image!

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 15:56
SSK 950JDJ OR might do the trick though...

2400GR BULLET or 3600GR BULLET 25k or 36k of lb/ft  Energy

Was submitted as a rabbit or deer hunting long gun.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - August/03/2013 at 16:01
No one
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 16:51
I have more than one yuppie come into the store here with a coon eye. Sport'n high end glass mounted on "the game I am shooting at will never come out of it alive" caliber.

Noth'n like jones'n to get people to buy something they will grow to hate.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 21:05

thats interesting, cause i also shoot the .300wby mag. while i dont shoot deer under feeders ( its illegal in minnesota) and i think that takes some of the fun out of the process. call me what you want, but when i shoot an animal i want to go down right now. i dont want to be chasing it, even if its less than 100yds. the .375H&H does absolutely no damage to meat, because the bullet is constructed for dangerous game, and its not moving at 3200fps.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 22:19
I could use my 17 and kill by aiming for the eye ball but, that would be showing off.
Also, no damage to the meat.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 22:47
not legally in most states...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 05:25
I say POPPYCOCK. Shoot what ya want that's legal. Who cares what everybody else thinks?  Hippie
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 08:17
hell i know an urban hunter out here that started off with a .243 on white tail deer .

next year hes back with a 280, then a 30-06, then a 300win mag, then a 300wb mag and now hes looking to drop a few grand on some 338 mag and i figure in a year he will be saying--

damn arkansas white tails the toughest damn thing there is --  i shot this giant buck and he just hopped off like nothing happened!

same  story every year.

he should learn to SHOOT before he starts hunting.

i not sure he can hit a barn from the inside , the bigger the iron the bigger the miss and the less excuses hes got--

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 10:08
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

thats interesting, cause i also shoot the .300wby mag. while i dont shoot deer under feeders ( its illegal in minnesota) and i think that takes some of the fun out of the process. call me what you want, but when i shoot an animal i want to go down right now. i dont want to be chasing it, even if its less than 100yds. the .375H&H does absolutely no damage to meat, because the bullet is constructed for dangerous game, and its not moving at 3200fps.

Yeah!!!  Ya need a 270!!!   

Shocked

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 10:10
I sure do want a couple of AFRICAN calibers!!!   ( can't buy 22 ammo anymore!!!  Might as well get a 404 Jeffery!! )    Big Smile
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 10:25
try bulkammo.com
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic