OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Member, Rifle and SS Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member, Rifle and SS Scope
    Posted: August/02/2013 at 21:39
Just another newbie! 
I purchased an Olympic Arms UMAR in 22-250 and decided to give SWFA SS a try.  I called SWFA Tuesday morning 7-30-13 and spoke with Skylar.  I ordered the 10X42 Mil-Quad Reticle and S.S.A.L.T. 30mm mount.  Everything showed up this morning 8-2-13!!  I mounted up everything and put the laser bore sight in and adjusted the scope to match at 100 yards.  It took .7 mil right and .2 mil down.  Sadly I ran out of daylight to punch paper. 
One of my good friends was there during the whole process and thought it was a very nice scope.  Then I showed him the invoice and he was blown away!  Thought it was a very clear scope and really like the reticle.  I informed him that it was the cheapest scope in the SWFA lineup. 

Hopefully tomorrow will hold more good news at the range because I really like this scope.  I will post pics when my account allows.

SCREAMINXL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 21:56
I changed my avatar so you can see the new AR with the SS on top. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 02:49
Nice looking, you've done well.  Welcome to the OT. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 05:34
Good deal! 

I  have had my old SS 10x Mil Dot on a variety of different firearms and even though she's got a bunch of miles on her, still performs as good today as the day it arrived. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 07:19
Thanks.

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Good deal! 

I  have had my old SS 10x Mil Dot on a variety of different firearms and even though she's got a bunch of miles on her, still performs as good today as the day it arrived. 

Nice rig and a lefty too........unless the pic is reversed!

I will post back with results.

Later
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 08:07
He's a lefty.

What that one saying he made all the rest Right Handed...

No one
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 17:42
Well the rain finally stopped and the sun came out!  My first shot at 100 yards was .3 mil right and 1.7 mil low.  I adjusted the scope and shot the last 4 rounds out (mag holds 5) for a .52 - .22 = .30 group on the bulls eye.
Wish I was a high roller and could swing a 5-20 but I'm going to try a 3-15 and hope for similar results.

Thank you SWFA. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 18:06
That is the best grouping I have ever heard in the 1st 5 rounds.
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 18:07
It's true what they say He made the rest right handed...

No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 18:19
That is fine shooting with an Olympic Arms AR.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 21:59
My buddy took his 22-250 Olympic Arms (new and same as mine) to the range with the same scope I have (I talked him into it so we ordered two) and it shot like crap!  Couldn't get it sighted in at 100!  He was thinking it was the scope so we swapped scopes and the problem remained.  We swapped the scope back on my rifle and I fired off 5 rounds in about 1 minute resulting in a 1.2 inch group after -.224 and we didn't touch the scope at all. 
I think/know the .3 group was just luck! I'm no sniper and struggle to shoot 1" groups off bags.

The dealer that sold us the AR's is going to the range with us tomorrow with two scopes to verify the other AR's issue.  We are taking a shooting vise so I will give my AR another shot and see how it groups clamped down.  I will let you know the results and hope it will shoot >1" consistently.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 08:52
I struggle to shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with my Bravo Co middy and hand loads.
My upper is a chrome lined, 5.56mm, 16" barrel.

Glad yours is fairing better.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 09:10
I've read the horror stories about Olympic Arms but we wanted a 22-250.  It's my friends first AR and he is so disappointed and I feel like sh*t for recommending it.
I hope mine will continue to shoot well.  It has only been feed 50gr Vmax, 35.5 varget, WLR primer and R-P Brass with 2.35 COAL hand loads. 
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. - Tecumseh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 09:16
Your very fortunate. I haven't been around many OA's.
I did use a OA 9mm upper at a gun class once.
Ran great, but we were shooting CQB and only shot out to around 30 yards max.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 09:29
I had to look up what CQB is. 

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. - Tecumseh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 09:38
Sorry. We were shooting steel plates from roughly 20 feet out to almost 30 yards.
Plates were moving via a timer, from concealment.

Rogers Shooting in GA.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 09:49
No need to be sorry.   I didn't know so I searched. Big Grin 

Sounds like fun!  I would be jacked up with anticipation doing something like that!  My guess is it takes a lot of control (mental & physical) to make safe, precise shots in an environment like that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 10:06
Bill Rogers Shooting School is one of, if not the best shooting school in the country.
Bill is the best shooter I've ever seen and his system breaks you down and then builds you up.

Shooting static paper targets on a "range" doesn't induce the stress that Bill's reactive shooting system does.
Your heads on a swivel for the entire, gut wrenching, humbling, 5 day class. Targets are on timers and only come out of concealment for seconds, or fraction of seconds to be shot.

I literally bawled the first day......in private, of course.

If you want a challenge, or just want to see how good or bad you really are, then check out Bill Rogers class.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 15:59
Originally posted by SCREAMINXL SCREAMINXL wrote:

Just another newbie! 
I purchased an Olympic Arms UMAR in 22-250 and decided to give SWFA SS a try.  I called SWFA Tuesday morning 7-30-13 and spoke with Skylar.  I ordered the 10X42 Mil-Quad Reticle and S.S.A.L.T. 30mm mount.  Everything showed up this morning 8-2-13!!  I mounted up everything and put the laser bore sight in and adjusted the scope to match at 100 yards.  It took .7 mil right and .2 mil down.  Sadly I ran out of daylight to punch paper. 
One of my good friends was there during the whole process and thought it was a very nice scope.  Then I showed him the invoice and he was blown away!  Thought it was a very clear scope and really like the reticle.  I informed him that it was the cheapest scope in the SWFA lineup. 

Hopefully tomorrow will hold more good news at the range because I really like this scope.  I will post pics when my account allows.

Welcome! Plus one was your scope selection. Plus two was working with Skylar (a fine gentleman but don't let him know) and SWFA. Plus three is continued positive posting. Excellent You done good son.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2013 at 17:41
What can I say   WhistlingI have a friend named Dan who I talked into buying an AR and he's had some problems with it.  They are machines and some take a bit of precision gunsmithing to refine them into all they can be.   It's always a little awkward when you suggest something and it doesnt work out as planned.  I kind of like the idea of an AR in 22-250 and I think a 204 Ruger might also be a lot of fun.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic