OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1 inch or 30mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 inch or 30mm
    Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:03
Any advantage to 30mm as opposed to 1 inch tube other than more adjustment? Or is it like wheels (15-16-17-18inch-etc.) You know, making up for other "deficiency's".
A show of status seems to have trumped all sorts of common sense in this age of political correctness.
Hunter22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:16
30mm will allow for more elevation and better durability opposed to a 1inch. Some will say light gathering ability, I wouldn't mind hearing why people think this. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:18
30mm tube scopes allow for more W/E adjustment room, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have additional adjustment in reality. It all depends on the erector assy diameter, erector spring design, adjustment mechanics, and how much room is in the turret saddle.

30mm is technically a stronger main tube than 1", but in actual use, that "advantage" rarely, if ever comes into play.

30mm tubes in some cases permit slightly better resolution by allowing the designer to use larger diameter erector lenses and therefore less lens curvature.

Some scopes with complex optical designs simply aren't possible to manufacture with 1" tubes (extreme zoom range, for example).

The fact that some high end manufacturers only offer 30mm tube scopes and/or they reserve their best technologies for their flagship models (which are usually 30mm scopes) sometimes means you're getting a higher performance scope when you buy some mfg's 30mm versions.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:18
It looks cooler... Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:23
Originally posted by Hunter22 Hunter22 wrote:

30mm will allow for more elevation and better durability opposed to a 1inch. Some will say light gathering ability, I wouldn't mind hearing why people think this. 

Because a couple scope manufacturers at one time were making that claim for marketing reasons, and certain gunwriters were repeating this fallacy. On its surface, that sounds plausible when you compare scopes to other items the consumer can relate to, ex: larger diameter pipe = greater volume of water, etc.

30mm tubes offer no light transmission advantage vs. 1" tubes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

30mm tube scopes allow for more W/E adjustment room, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have additional adjustment in reality. It all depends on the erector assy diameter, erector spring design, adjustment mechanics, and how much room is in the turret saddle.

30mm is technically a stronger main tube than 1", but in actual use, that "advantage" rarely, if ever comes into play.

30mm tubes in some cases permit slightly better resolution by allowing the designer to use larger diameter erector lenses and therefore less lens curvature.

Some scopes with complex optical designs simply aren't possible to manufacture with 1" tubes (extreme zoom range, for example).

The fact that some high end manufacturers only offer 30mm tube scopes and/or they reserve their best technologies for their flagship models (which are usually 30mm scopes) sometimes means you're getting a higher performance scope when you buy some mfg's 30mm versions.

^^^^^^^^
Best Answer   Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:33
Are all manufactures eventually going to a 30mm or larger? Planned obsolescence seems to be the future.
Hunter22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:42
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Because a couple scope manufacturers at one time were making that claim for marketing reasons, and certain gunwriters were repeating this fallacy. On its surface, that sounds plausible when you compare scopes to other items the consumer can relate to, ex: larger diameter pipe = greater volume of water, etc.

30mm tubes offer no light transmission advantage vs. 1" tubes.

Thanks Ted, makes sense. Kind of what I thought, just didn't want to post anything that I wasn't 100% on.
Hunter22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:46
Originally posted by pc4life pc4life wrote:

Are all manufactures eventually going to a 30mm or larger? Planned obsolescence seems to be the future.

30 mm tube is not needed for Varmint scopes in my mind you sight in your scope at 50 or 100 and rarely touch the turrets after.  Also, they are generally low recoil guns so durability is not as big of a  factor.  It  would only add to cost.  I don't see 1" tubes going away anytime soon. IMO
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 16:20
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

It looks cooler... Bucky

That is why I only purchase 30mm scopes.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 16:23

30 mm tube is not needed for Varmint scopes in my mind you sight in your scope at 50 or 100 and rarely touch the turrets after.  Also, they are generally low recoil guns so durability is not as big of a  factor.  It  would only add to cost.  I don't see 1" tubes going away anytime soon. IMO

To each his own. I prefer to dial corrections.
Hunter22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 16:50
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

To each his own. I prefer to dial corrections.
May have been misunderstood, I was more specifically referring to something like a .22 used on rabbits or squirrels.  You sight in your gun at 50/100 and leave it.  I can't imagine someone with, lets say a 2-7x35 trying to dial to kill a rabbit with a .22 at 50 yards.   A 30mm tube would be pointless when a 1 inch can accomplish the same thing, in this case specifically. Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of a 30mm tube, just trying to point out a 1 inch tube is not necessarily obsolete. Like you said, to each his own (:
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 19:06
Depends on your definition of "varmint" and whether you dial in LR drops with turret or dope drops with BDC type reticle. I frequently use my "varmint rifles" to shoot prairie dogs, where shots well over 700 yds is very common.
Ted

pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 10:40
I suppose 30mm or larger will make what I have obsolete and if that doesn't. Digital scopes or something like it will make everything else I am going to purchase in the near future obsolete.

Can't beat the MAN.
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 12:22
i would say never worry about what is technically obsolete provided it is still good for whatever duty you have planned for it.

i'm sure 30mm tubes have some advantages , but very limited advantages over a 1".

if it comes down to it a better glass 1" is better than a 30mm.

i like 30mm mainly because they fit the AR-15 mounts i have --so that is the big advantage to me.

not of enough advantage to prevent me from buying 1" scopes though.

we will probably see some even bigger tubes in the future  --with very high price tags on um.

personally i don't see spending a lot of money just to get a 30mm, if it just happens to be a 30mm , that is also fine by me.

i got a very nice burris euro 30mm scope , but the 30mm tube is not what makes it tick --it is the good glass, coatings,  lenses and turrets that make it shine.

in some whys this is the same as the discussion about 50mm lenses , they do help in some areas but a good 40mm can certainly hold is own with it in most situations.

claimbuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claimbuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 06:46
When it comes to looks, I am just the opposite.  On a nice light, trim rifle you mount that big old globby 30mm scope and it looks like chit!
My wife says I don't listen to her....or something like that.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 07:35
Huh??

The difference between a 1" tube and a 30mm tube is .18 inches.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 12:33
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Huh??

My thoughts exactly!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 12:35
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Huh??

My thoughts exactly!

musta got a bad clam!

Whacko
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 22:39
Most of the top quality tactical rings are available in 30mm but a lot of those are not available in 1 inch. 
We are seeing an increasing number of new tactical optics in sizes larger than 30mm also.

Also just because a scope has a 30mm tube doesnt mean that it is big and clunky.  I have this 30mm scope and love it.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$892.50 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic