OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another newbie...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Ott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another newbie...
    Posted: May/22/2006 at 11:31

...lost amongst the rifle scopes.  The more I look at them, the more confused and indecisive I become...

I'm looking to outfit a Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 with a 3-9x40 scope that's not going to be a waste of time or break the bank.  Basically, I'm looking to spend $100-$200 to get me going, and then perhaps in a couple years make an upgrade as necessary.  I've seen some nice scopes on the "Sample List", such as a Nikon Buckmaster for $149, and the Burris Fullfield/Spotting scope combo for $189.  Additionally, the Bushnell Legends (which I've read nothing about) from SWFA are a little under $150.

Any recommendations?  Considerations?  Any brands/good buys that I'm missing?

Is a 20x spotting scope even useful for 100yds at the range?

How do I figure out if I want low or medium rings?  I've seen charts for some scope, but not others.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 12:14

20x spotting scope is certainly useful for looking at targets at 100yards (and probably abit beyond that as well).

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 is your best bet I think and easily one of the best for the money.  It is beeter than the Buckmaster (not by a whole lot though, but better nevertheless) and certainly better than Bushnell Legend and Elite 3200.

Another good scope that can be had for ~$200 is Sightron S2 3-9x42, but I think a free spotter that comes with the Burris makes it a better deal for you.

As for the rings, different manufacturers have different height rings.  It may be labeled "Medium", but the heghts will be different depending on who makes them.

Some of the best bang for the buck rings I've used are Warne Maxima (both rings and bases) and I think you'd need medium height rings there.  I've also had good luck with Burris Zee Signature rings and inexpensive Weaver Grand Slam rings and bases.

ILya

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 16:26

Why get distracted by the offer of the spotting scope? 

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 16:28

At $200, Fullfield II is certainly at the top of the list, with spotter or without it.

ILya

B Ott View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Ott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 16:37
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Why get distracted by the offer of the spotting scope? 

What's your suggestion then?  Seems like you think another is better...

It appears that the Nikon has a substantially higher retail value, which in many cases implies a "better" product.  Is this not the case?

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 17:05
I am saying take fifty dollars out of the deal to factor into the value of the spotting scope and see what you think.  I question why somebody has to "give" me something to make the deal work.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 17:20

>>>

I am saying take fifty dollars out of the deal to factor into the value of the spotting scope and see what you think.  I question why somebody has to "give" me something to make the deal work.
>>>

Using a bundle offering of some sort is a very common way of getting some competitive advantage.  It tends to increase volume enough to accept a slightly lower profit margin on each individual product and make it up in volume sales of the bundle.

If you are not interested in the spotting scope, you can get a FFII riflescope alone for about ten bucks less, I think.

ILya

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2006 at 02:56

Koshkin has it right!  I can't answer for the other scopes, but:

1.  The Burris Fullfield II is an excellent buy.  Its quality and features are considerably better than some of our "best" scopes used to have.  I have three of them.

2.  The spotting scope is a welcome add-on for $10.  You can toss it in the range box, and you won't cry if it hits the concrete.  You will need to get some sort of a clamp mount (or tripod), though, to make it really usable.  At 20x, you need to be steady.

3.  There is also a  binocular offer with this scope (at SWFA, of course!!!), which you might consider as a possible alternative.

4.  It's hard to find even a child's toy for $10 nowadays.  Enjoy the deal!

5.   As for mounts and rings, my personal favorite is the Leupold quick release.  They return to zero, and lock down tight at both ends.  I have Burris Fullfield II 3x9 scopes  in low rings and QR mounts on two Remington rifles.  The low rings align my eye very nicely with the scope when I mount the gun with a proper stock weld.  This is important to good, quick shooting!

6.  The Weatherby Vanguard stock has a higher comb.  You will want to pick the ring height which best aligns your own eye with the scope.   Usually, this would mean the low rings.  However, you may find that the Weatherby's higher comb works with medium rings.  (Every time I try to mount a Weatherby rifle, the high comb on the monte carlo stock bangs my cheekbone!)

Hope you find this information useful.  Almost everyone on this forum tries their best to be helpful. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic