OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which Diamonback Reticle is Best for Low Light?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Diamonback Reticle is Best for Low Light?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Diamonback Reticle is Best for Low Light?
    Posted: August/01/2013 at 13:24
I have been trying to narrow down a choice for a new scope for my muzzleloader - you guys were no help at all.CoolCool

I have settled on picking up a Vortex Diamondback 3-9X40 and have only one other question.  Which reticle is best in low light, the Dead-Hold BDC or the V-Plex?  Most of my shots will be less than 100yds so the BDC is of little value to me.  However, I do a lot of early morning, first light hunts, so I need something that I can see well.

Thanks,

Steve
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 14:03
If memory serves me right the BDC reticle is a little bolder than their standard V-plex.

ILya
Hunter22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 15:03
They are the exact same thickness, the V-Plex will be thicker closer to the intersection of crosshairs.   Looking through both, they both would work for your application
Hunter22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 15:05

BDC
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-3-9x40-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle/reticle

V-PLEX
http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_dbk_s_3-9x40_vplex_moa.jpg

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 16:04
Apparently, my memory is faulty.  Then again, the BDC reticle appears to be a bit different since I tested the diamondback.

I went and looked at the reticle specs and the thick bars are a little thicker on the V-Plex.

ILya
Hunter22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 16:22
The BDC use to have dots instead of hashmarks.  As far as the reticle thickness goes, it is still the same.   To my eye the V Plex is the slightest bit easier to pick up, just because the thick bars come in close to where the reticle intersects.  If that makes sense.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 16:40
Originally posted by Hunter22 Hunter22 wrote:

The BDC use to have dots instead of hashmarks.  As far as the reticle thickness goes, it is still the same.   To my eye the V Plex is the slightest bit easier to pick up, just because the thick bars come in close to where the reticle intersects.  If that makes sense.

It does.

Last BDC reticle I tested had dots, so that was the one I remembered.

ILya
Hubby11 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 17:13
Thanks, looks like it s V-Plex for me.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic