OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox BL series of binoculars?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox BL series of binoculars?
    Posted: July/31/2013 at 05:32
I am looking to upgrade from an older pair of Nikon Monarchs 10 by 42 and am interested in the Minox BL line of binoculars. First question what other brands and types of binoculars would I compare to this series in the same price range. I don't really want to spend more than $400 on a pair of binocs, which brings up question two. Am I kidding myself thinking I'm upgrading from my Nikon's. I will use the binocs for hunting both midwest hardwoods and mountain hunting. Thanks for the advice.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2013 at 20:23
The Kruger Caldera, Zen-Ray ZRS and ED3, Zeiss Terra HD, Pentax DCF BR, Vanguard Endeavor, Bresser Everest, and Leupold Hawthorne will all easily out-class your old Monarchs. All can be found under $400, with the exception of the ED3 which costs just a bit over $400. I have a feeling that the Kowa SV42 will also out-class your Monarchs too, but I haven't tried them.

Every single Minox I've looked through has been a disappointment, so I would not recommend any of them.

Edited by PhilR. - August/01/2013 at 10:17
bonesmalones View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonesmalones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 14:43
I don't have experience with the Monarchs, but I own a pair of Minox BL 8x56 BR. I like them. A nice bright sharp view during the day. Nice ergonomics, very light. I do think they are overpriced, but I got mine on clearance and don't regret the buy. For your budget, you might do better looking at a porro prism bino. 
If you can keep you expectations tiny, you'll go through life without being so whiny.
scottyd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 06:52
Spent some time looking thru a multitude of different binoculars a few days ago in my price range and not one of them made me say wow. However looking thru a pair of Meopta 10 x 42 hd's did make me say wow. May have to save up a few more pesos and look at purchasing next year.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 08:03
Scotty,

Which models did you look through?
Frank
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 08:43
Yup... the Meopta HD is one of the best bins for under $1k. However, since you are now considering a higher budget, you might also look at the Leupy McKinley and Zeiss Conquest HD too. Each has it's pros and cons, but all are quite good. I would go with the Zeiss myself, but as always - YMMV.

Even the Nikon Monarch 7 is very worthy of consideration too, and it is about half the price of the Meopta.
scottyd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 20:33
I spent time looking thru the Zeiss Terra ED (nice and almost purchased, but really not that much nicer than my Monarch ATB's), Nikon Monarch 5's (close second), Leupold Mojave, Vortex Vipers and Vortex Talons. Also looked thru Meopta Meopro 10 x 42 binocs that were nice for not being ED glass. The downside is your looking thru all this glass in a store setting. Really doesn't test them all that well other than clarity under ideal conditions.
jakedeaver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakedeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 17:00
Anybody heard anything about the Minox German BL?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 21:08
Originally posted by bonesmalones bonesmalones wrote:

I own a pair of Minox BL 8x56 BR. I like them. A nice bright sharp view during the day. Nice ergonomics, very light.

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
jakedeaver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakedeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 09:50
Thanks BW.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 13:05
My pleasure. Big Grin
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
scottyd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2013 at 10:18
Update on the binoculars. Found a closeout on some Steiner HD 10 x 42 binoculars and snatched them up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic