OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Quality vs. price

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosiscoming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality vs. price
    Posted: July/30/2013 at 20:52
Hello Guys I'm new to the site..   Anyway I have a question.. I see the the SWFA SS 3-15x42 and it seems great for the price. yet I do like the nightforce F1 3.5-15 x50. I like med/ long range tactical . Whats your opinion on the 2 scopes and price difference? Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 21:12
Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2013 at 09:56
This comes up quite regularly here. Rather than address the overarching question (which is much more complex than it, at first, might seem), let us address just the 2 scopes you have mentioned.

Both are 3-15X, both are built on 30mm main tubes, both have matching turrets and reticles, both are FFP.  My experience with SS scopes is that their internal adjustments are very good and quite robust - the same is true of the Nightforce.  The adjustment ranges to both are adequate for anything most will ever shoot, easily getting beyond 1,000 yards with a 0 MOA base (for those calibers capable of 1000 yard shots.) Both have side parallax adjustment SS says 6m to infinity, I think the F1 is 50 yards to inifinity.)

Looking at stats on paper (I own neither scope at this moment, but own many SS scopes and have owned several Nightforce), their lengths are within about an inch, their weights are within about 4 ounces, and their makers stand behind both with great warranty and service.

Differences:
F1 is illuminated, SS is not.
F1 has a zero stop, SS does not.
Nightforce lists the F1's eye relief as 3.15", that's a little short, especially for a boomer. The SS is listed as 4.2 - 3.8", which is much more in my comfort zone.
F1 has many reticle choices, SS has 1 reticle.

And... price.

I won't address glass quality as that is very subjective.  It is safe to say both will have serviceable glass.  And both scope makers are known for putting out a very reliable product.

Personal preference, I like the turrets on the NF more than the SS.  I have run almost all the previous SS scopes and have spent considerable time behind them.  I don't mind the older SS turrets, but they aren't my favorite.  The F1 turrets seem a little more substantial. I also prefer the click feel.

There is no free lunch, the F1 has more stuff and can do more stuff than the SS, but you gotta pay to play.

Last, and most important:  if buying the F1 means less time on the trigger, get the SS for sure.  No glass compensates for lack of time on the range.  Don't spend so much on optics that you can't afford to send rounds down range.

Hope that helps.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Carlosiscoming View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosiscoming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2013 at 13:42
Thanks Rancid. ggod points and notes taken. appreciate it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2013 at 15:48
I have a 3-15SS on the way, should be able to answer better by/on Friday regarding glass.
Carlosiscoming View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosiscoming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2013 at 17:14
thanks again and please let me know about the 3-15SS
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2013 at 21:18
I dont have the 3-15 but I have the 5-20 and like it very much its more but its illuminated and I like the style of knobs better.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2013 at 21:25
For clarity, I have owned a few of the SS5-20, a few of the 3-9, the old 10X, and a 1-4. I too much prefer the newer knobs, they are near Nightforce in click spacing and click feel. I fully appreciate that more robust knobs cost more money to make, and the SS3-15 is much less expensive.

Range report to follow.

Full disclosure: it'll be running opposite some stiff competition. I have high hopes.

It is going on a Tikka 223 which is a tack driver, it'll endure a few boxes and ladders; if the mechanicals aren't up to the task, we'll see it quickly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 04:06
I like the USO EREK knob above all others I have used. 

Looking forward to your AAR, RC. 
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 12:03

Same here RC +1

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 12:13
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I like the USO EREK knob above all others I have used. 

Looking forward to your AAR, RC. 

Try the new Kahles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 12:56
Love to

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 19:38
I got the scope, like the glass, and the size. The eye box isn't as easy to get as a Hensoldt (nor should it be, at 1/5the price), and I detect a hint of CA at the top, but not enough to matter. Glass is clear edge-to-edge, very good resolution for a $700 scope.

I spun the turrets a little and like the feel, clicks are clear and well defined.

No tunneling, which is nice. Reticle is sime and easy. I would prefer a Christmas tree, but can make do.

I'll have it on the range shortly. More to follow.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 00:12
Nice Ive been wanting one.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 09:56
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I would prefer a Christmas tree, but can make do.

+1

Looking forward to your review.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 11:13
Anticipation...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic