OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30mm Tube or 1" Tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30mm Tube or 1" Tube
    Posted: June/04/2006 at 02:04
Anyone who thinks they are capable of hitting an Antelope at 600 yards is either irresponsible, a fool and has never hunted them. Want to see how far you should shoot? Put up a 9" pieplate at 100 yards and start shooting and moving back (no benchrests!).
When you cant hit it every shot, that's your limit. For 99% of shooters it's about 300 yards. Antelope are not hard to hunt, of the ones I shot the closest was 107 yards, the farthest 327. All measured before shooting with a laser and shooting with a tight military sling and a hiking stick. If I draw this year, I'm hunting with a 50 caliber round ball flint lock as I know a well selected hide will get me within 50 yards of one.My neighbor has killed 27 Antelope with an old 721 Remington in 30-06 with a Weaver K4 and Remington factory ammo.His "9"plate" limit is 200 yards and he's never shot one over 85 paces. I see the idiots every year with their magnum monsters and 6-20x56 mm scopes... mostly they shoot legs off elk and blame the guide. Watched one 3 years ago miss a standing broadside elk 3 shots a 125 yards resting over a pack with a 340 Weatherby and a huge 56mm euro wonder scope. The elk was exceptionally dumb. The guide's wife finally shot him (the elk) with a circa 1935 94 winchester 30-30! So much for magnum whatevers! If you want a 7mm get a 7x57 you'll be much happier and your ears and shoulder will thanks you.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 08:58
Urimaginaryfrnd- That is good to know- is your wide duplex etc. a mil-dot and are using 308 168 BTHP around 2650? If so I'll check it out save a lot of time here.  thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 18:28

Leupold 30mm tube 4.5-14 has 100 moa internal adjustment significantly more than Leupold 4.5-14 with a 1 inch tube. The Boone and Crocket and Varmit reticles are quite helpful. Under 600 yds the 30mm tube probably wont make a difference but get out a little further and it will. The side focus is quite convenient and l like the scopes I own that have this feature.  The reticle is probably a more important issue and I like the varmit reticle but dont have one yet, My 4.5-14x50 30mm is a wide duplex range estimating model but the range estimating gap works like a hold over point and with my rifle the bottom of the gap is on at 600 yds. This is my favorite power range.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 14:06
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 13:11
Lots of good information in Chris's Rifle school under that topic,. Basically 30 mm tubes allow larger erector sets. Thus a variable with a 30 mm tube can have something like  a range of 3x12 instead of just 3x9 as in a 1'" tube. The only Leo scope having a 4x erector set is their LPS, their 30 mm tubes only have 3x erectors and I guess they need the extra room inside for the side focus. Doesn't seem to bother zeiss however, they do it with a 1" tube. One would guess also that leo would be just be using 1" tube parts in their 30mm as a cost saving device. Personally I would go with their new 4.5x14 1" with the front AO.
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 13:08
Check out the MP8 reticle and Bullet Drop Compensation that most manufactures have in their scopes today. The IOR MP8 has been the most friendly I used. Tried the Burris, Nikon and placed with Leupold Boone&Crockett.

Diggerdan4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diggerdan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 11:21

I would consider Long range 250- 500Yards for deer and even longer for Antelope.  I will be hunting blacktail Deer along with Antelope.  The range I will be shooting will be from around 75 yards clear out to 600 yards.  I would guess the average shot would be 200-300 yards. 

Diggerdan4
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 06:24

Originally posted by Diggerdan4 Diggerdan4 wrote:

Is it worth paying the extra money for a 30mm Tube over a 1" Tube?  What about side focus?  Does it make that much difference if a scope has focus or not.  I am looking at getting a Leupold VX III in a 4.5-14x50mm.  Will be shooting both long and short range.  Thanks for any help.

What do you consider long range??

Typically, a 30mm tube is superior to a 1".

The 30mm gives you more elevation/windage adjustment to shoot long range. 

For deer hunting out to 200-300 yards, you wouldn't need a 30mm tube.

For 600 yards and beyond, I would go with a 30mm tube.

And yes, with that power range it would benefit you to have side focus or a parallax adjustment of some kind.  

Could you be a little more specific on what your going to be shooting and what ranges?? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Diggerdan4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diggerdan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 00:40
Is it worth paying the extra money for a 30mm Tube over a 1" Tube?  What about side focus?  Does it make that much difference if a scope has focus or not.  I am looking at getting a Leupold VX III in a 4.5-14x50mm.  Will be shooting both long and short range.  Thanks for any help.
Diggerdan4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic