OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

375H&H thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 11:01
Actually, the Brinkmann has been replaced with a Komodo Egg.  I like it better for cooking, but cannot use it for picture taking... that sucks.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 12:46
If I were to buy a 375H&H (and it is on the list of guns I plan to get, but not near the top), I would be going for a CZ.  This version seems to fit me pretty well:

ILya

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 13:34
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

If I were to buy a 375H&H (and it is on the list of guns I plan to get, but not near the top), I would be going for a CZ.  This version seems to fit me pretty well:

ILya

Ilya, I just found a Action Arms catalog from 1994 and with it was a dist. price list. BRNO 602 Magnum Mauser barreled actions  in .300 Win. Mag, .375 H & H and .458 Win. Mag cost $371, $371 and $389.00.My CZ-85 Combat 9mm$479.00 and my 600 was $435.00 and my Timberwolf was $204.00

Skip

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 14:06
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

ILya

Ilya, I just found a Action Arms catalog from 1994 and with it was a dist. price list. BRNO 602 Magnum Mauser barreled actions  in .300 Win. Mag, .375 H & H and .458 Win. Mag cost $371, $371 and $389.00.My CZ-85 Combat 9mm$479.00 and my 600 was $435.00 and my Timberwolf was $204.00

Skip

In 1994, I was in the process of graduating from high school and my primary purpose in life was to entertain myself as much as I could before starting college in the fall.  I think  I had succeeded since I do not remember that summer at all.

As much as I hate to admit, at that point of my life I had never heard about CZ or 375H&H...

ILya
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 17:18
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Some very nice rifles! So far it seems CZ and Winchester are the favorites.

Why no love for the Browning X bolt?

And is the 375 Ruger a rare cal? And how does it compare with the 375H&H?

The 375 Ruger is no longer rare and it will be chambered in more and more manufacturer's rifles as time goes by. It started in the Ruger rifles and I believe now you can get it in Howa rifles and CZ Safari Classics

It has a little more powder capacity, is unbelted and will fit in a 3.4" action (win mag size)

Mine has a 24" barrel (a rebarrel and not the Savage I posted a pic of) and I have loaded a 260 gr Accubond to 3000 fps and my normal load is a 270 gr TSX at 2850 fps

The 375 Ruger and 375 H & H have about the same relationship that the 300 win mag and 300 H & H had in the past. Care to guess which will win out?

Don't get me wrong, the 375 H & H is a fine caliber. I just prefer the added oomph and unbelted standard action bolt throw

Edited by sakomato - July/30/2013 at 17:24
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 18:07
I was looking at 375 Ruger when I got my H&H.  Only reason was I could not find anything suitable at the time except lever guns.  I like the levers, but thought it was a waste of potential for that caliber.  I currently wish I had held out for the 375 Ruger.  I like the 375H&H, but it is just so-so to me.  I also have a 300H&H... I like it, but it has no real advantage over my 30-06s. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 21:08

I have been looking for a new rifle that would be adequate for hunting in Alaska. And I was thinking either 300 or 338 mags, but was able to shoot a Dakota 76 in 375H&H. I shot 300gn at 1600ft/sec and was surprised that the recoil was not that bad. I would rather shoot this than my buddy's Rem in 300wsm. Plus I was told you can down load it for smaller game. The shop can get me any of these four. A Rem, Browning, Winchester or a CZ. Thoughts on this cal and which rifle?

The velocity should have been 2600 not 1600.

Sparky just my humble opinion. The 375 is a wonderful round. Its at the top of my list for someone hunting dangerous game in Africa. I love the different versions made by Sako in 375.

But you don't need that much gun in Alaska. A 325 wsm will kill anything cleanly in North America. Like the 280 delivers a similar wallop of the 30.06 without the 06's recoil, the 325 wsm delivers a similar wallop to that of the 338 without losing your teeth in the process.

Aside from common predjudices and not a whole lot of available ammo like the 280, the 325 wsm is specifically designed for a light weight short action rifle that would give similar energy and knock down power of the 338 minus the 338's recoil.

I know people who rave about their 325s and killing the biggest of brown bear with them.

Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi - July/30/2013 at 21:14
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 22:45
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I currently wish I had held out for the 375 Ruger.  I like the 375H&H, but it is just so-so to me. 

A 375H&H is just so-so?? I am getting more interested in the 375 Ruger. So what does the Ruger have over the H&H?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 23:08
MORE POWER... arrhhh, aaarrhhh, arrrrhhh, arrrrhhh,  aaaarrrrrhhhhhh....

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2013 at 23:51
The  375 H&H has been around forever so there is ammo in all kinds of odd places but it is a very long case and a belted case so the action of the rifle has to be long enought for the cartridge and a lot are not.  375 Ruger is a newer cartridge and a shorter case which is not belted.  When resizing a case reloading the belt does not get resized and I have had some stick in the chamber in a tight chamber. I really like the rifles Savage is offering in stainless in .375 Ruger the cost is several hundred less than a blue winchester and the rifle just comes up perfect for me I have almost bought one several times and probably would have already if I didnt have stuff in the H & H already.  But I may have to have one before too long I really like the one with the 20 in barrel and iron sights.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 09:24

Some very nice rifles! So far it seems CZ and Winchester are the favorites.

Why no love for the Browning X bolt?

And is the 375 Ruger a rare cal? And how does it compare with the 375H&H?

The CZ, Winchester, Mauser, and Ruger, etc. are controlled round feed....so in 375 that eliminates the Remington and Browning....

....I don't mind push feed in a deer rifle, but I would not get one in a Dangerous Game rifle....even if I wasn't going to shoot anything dangerous.  

....other than that factor, I don't care too much for Remingtons.....and Remingtons are terribly short on me....I'd have to add three inches of wood to the butt......

Never had a Browning.....too modern for me!!!  I like the ancient FN Browning High Powers.....but that's a whole different rifle.....

Visit the Ed Show
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 10:05
The M16/M4 are push feed Big Smile
Doug
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 11:19
.....didn't think of that.......I was thinking of snarling fur bearers with big teeth and stuff jumping on my neck....    Shocked

....on second thought, maybe I oughta get a Double rifle so I don't even have to work the bolt!!  Smile
Visit the Ed Show
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 13:38
The CZ and the Win are still high on my list. Thoughts on the Ruger?

Since I have shot the 375H&H I know what to expect. But a friend thinks he knows someone who has a 375Ruger not sure what it is though. I have looked for 375 Ruger ammo but have not found any yet. If I do go with the 375Ruger the Savage looks nice as well.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 14:57

I would get the Winchester or the CZ because of the H&H.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 21:59
i love my m70 semi custom H&H i wouldnt trade it for anything, and its a push feed.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 13:14

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Mine is a Remington 700 classic and I could not be happier. I use both 270 and 300 gr bullets and the recoil is not bad at all.

Ah, Remington.  That barely qualifies it as a firearm.

The scope is nice though...

ILya
You would certainly know about that Kahles Big Smile. But, the Remington, I have a bunch of them from 22-250 up through the .375. I have never had a problem and they are all accurate.
Doug
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 13:37
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The M16/M4 are push feed Big Smile

Bet that would make you feel a lot more comfortable with on standing in front of a Cape Buffalo.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 13:39
Remingtons are accurate sure enough.  I had two, I believe....maybe three.  I had a really nice M 725 270, and a nifty little M 722 300 Savage!!   Big Grin

Gone but not forgotten.  The 270 had a pad added and the LOP was 14".....the little 722 was a little short, but it was a 300 Savage.  That 300 was my all round 'shoot-something-off-the-porch' rifle for years.  Varmints beware.    
Visit the Ed Show
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 14:11
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

CZ550... after $1000.00+ of work...

What the what?

That sounds outlandish...
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic