OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My First Blue Wildebeest Bull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Blue Wildebeest Bull
    Posted: July/28/2013 at 10:36
My first Blue Wildebeest Bull, I hunted him by foot or should I say wheel chair

Willem Basson our host and PH catching an African Rock Python

This is what an Elephant can do to a tree,gives you a glimpse at the strength they have

Nice Warthog

Big Nyala Bull

Edited by Glock - July/28/2013 at 11:42
Regards Chris
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 11:30
Wow! That's fantastic!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 11:43
Thanks Cheaptrick
Regards Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 12:27
Thank you, Sir! 

Tell us about your rifle/scope set up, if you would please. 
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 12:37
Cheaptrick it's a S&B 2.5-10x56 with a FD7 recticle. I have been really happy with it, it's mounted on a Ruger 30-06. I have had one shot kills on Springbuck up to 320m with that Combo.
Regards Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 12:43
Outstanding, Chris! 

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 13:05
Great pics Chris, congrats!!!  Cheers
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 13:27
Chris, thank you for allowing us to"see" with your eyes... amazing, wonderful. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 14:35
Fantastic, as always!!!   Nice photos!!  
Visit the Ed Show
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 16:16
In a wheelchair, that is impressive.  I was laboring all over South Africa, can't imagine how much tougher it would be in a chair.

Nice animals.

And hunting suppressed, my PH loved that.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 17:25
Awesome
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 20:08
SWEET     Congratulations. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 01:48
Thanks guys it's always nice to share my photos, especially with people that are in to guns and hunting as much as I am.
Regards Chris
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 04:25
Congratulations Glock, great pics.

Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 07:43
Great 'beest and great pics in general. Congrats and a big thumbs up from Florida. Thunbs Up
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 09:57
Congrats Glock Excellent  thanks for sharing..... 
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 13:18
Awesome and hope one day that I can make a trip like it

Eagle
garyalarson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyalarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 13:52
It's like the Lion King out there! Thanks for sharing!
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 14:27
I had a fantastic trip managed to get 30m from that Wildebeest, it was quite a struggle as it had rained the night before. As you can see in the photo I had to hose my chair off back at camp, everything I had with me was covered in mud. It was worth it though made for a very memorable week. I didn't take as much photos as I would have liked, and seeing as we where hunting in Big 5 country. Sometimes you had to keep your rifle ready and forget about photos.

Willem and his neighbour have removed the fence between their two properties, although we are only allowed to hunt on Zeekoepan. But it allows you to hunt in a true Big 5 country as the Lions, Elephants, Buffalo, Rhino move between both farms so you have to be alert. I seen less Impala than we normally see at Zeekoepan, I guess due to them having more room to move. Both farms are 5000 hectares and due to the fact that there are Lion as well as Leopard and Cheetah around. I did have a few wake up calls, firstly when I could hear the Elephants trumpeting about 100m from me just over the river. Never seen them though probably just as well, as there is now way I could run away.

My best moment came when I was hiding in a bunch of trees looking at 2 Buffalo Bulls, wishing I could afford the $11000 to shoot one. Next thing a herd of Buffalo Cows and Calfs pops up not 8m from me, and one off the cows spots me. Its amazing how quickly you can turn to face a threat, luckily for me they decided flight was better than fight. It was the first time I have been so close to a Buffalo on foot, but it was an amazing experience. I didn't see any Lion or Elephant wich was a pity, we drove around with Willem on Saturday looking for them with a radio antenna. One off them has a radio tag on, but they where deep in a Tambotie grove. And Willem wisely didn't want any one to walk in there.

It was another fantastic week of hunting in Africa, I manged to bag 3 Impala and my first Wildebeest Bull. I seen some amazing sights and have some wonderfull memories to tie me over till next year. I already can't wait to go back, think I need to organize a family weekend in summer. Maybe Willem Willem will let me bring my bow.
Regards Chris
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2013 at 19:05
    Congrads! I'm going to S.A. for a retirement gift to myself in a couple years. Great Pics, looks like you need a four wheel drive chair though. You must have ice water in your veins, I'd be a nervous wreck being in an area like that and unable to run or climb a tree.  I think it's great that you don't let you'r disability keep you from doing the things you enjoy. Tell us what ammo you used and post more pics if you have them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic