OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

why will my scope/rifle set up not hold zero?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benhepworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why will my scope/rifle set up not hold zero?
    Posted: July/26/2013 at 13:37
Hi! This is a beginners question... I've zeroed in my scope several times now but everytime i go back to the range i have to repeat the process. I'm getting through a lot of pellets! I am zeroing by sight but once I've done it the accuracy is really good but as i said by the time in at the range again its pretty poor. I'm being as gentle as i can be with the rifle too. Its a .22 break barrel rifle which i got brand new recently. I've fitted it with a Richter Optik 3-9x50AO scope. The scope was not brand new and had been used a few times. Is optically centring the scope the way to go? Any advice would be appreciated!   
waiting for that one pefect shot
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 13:57
Hard to say what is going on without actually being there.  That said there points to check and a process of elimination to take to determine your issue.  What do you mean once you sight in the accuracy is good?  As in you can shoot all afternoon once sighted in and it will group fine? This indicates a barrel issue being irratic.  Possible, not sure.  Maybe try a different type of pellet.

other options -
First would be to make sure your mounts are secure.  Torqued to the proper specs and not moving. 

Second would be to try another scope on the rifle to see if it was the scope or the gun.  A scope you know works would be my suggestion simply due to that helping eliminate the gun. 

Third option is try that scope on another rifle you know works to see if it groups and holds there.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
benhepworth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benhepworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 15:01
Once sighted in at 25-30yrds i can fairly consistently hit my mark at 30yrds and out to 60yrds. When i next come to the range this isn't the case and when sighting in again groups start out pretty of centre at 25-30yrd. Thanks for your response
waiting for that one pefect shot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic