OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scoping an M-1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bootjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoping an M-1
    Posted: July/26/2013 at 00:06
Thinking of scoping a fine M-1 that spends too little time at the range as shooting "irons" through corrective glasses just doesn't cut it.

Seem to recall a scout type rig for sale a few years ago, but it's gone.

B-Square makes a mount, but research indicates it doesn't hold zero.

That leaves Griffin and Howe, of which I own several on bolt guns and one on a 99 that all work perfectly.

Looking at their website's photo of a mount and scope on a stripped M-1 receiver, the one thing that is not clear is how the clip release (absent in the photo) still functions as designed.

I have five unmounted G&H mounts (7/8", 1" and 26mm) so all I really need to buy is the base that goes on the rifle and the ring set.

Has anyone done it with modern (not M-1C) G&H parts ?

Thanks.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/26/2013 at 08:48
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 08:52
Not sure why you have all the extra code in your post.
so you are from Australia - I thought they confiscated all the guns there?

M1 and M1a rifles are just horid to try to scope so I suggest you just use the irons.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 08:54
Dont you have a compact ACOG on an M1 UF?  That would be a good combo.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 09:15
I dont have and M1 Garand,  Ive  wanted one for a long time though but have never bought one.  Pretty sure the mount for M1 Garand and M1a are different.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 11:53
Since you are talking about a clip I am assuming that you are talking about a M1 Grand. So I would talk with the CMP people. They have M1 Grand sniper rifles and I would think could help you with scoping yours.

http://www.thecmp.org/sales.htm

Also there is a M1 Grand collectors assoc.

WWW.thegca.org
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I dont have and M1 Garand,  Ive  wanted one for a long time though but have never bought one. 

If you even think you might want one I would suggest ordering one from the CMP right now!!! They are selling out and they are getting harder and harder for them to get. Last January there were about four or five more choices than there is now. I purchased one to shoot military issue cast bullets and it is a shooter.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm#M1C
bootjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bootjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2013 at 14:19
I don't need a "sniper rifle" as both the Cs and Ds were nothing special. The cheapest C is $1600 and comes with nothing but the base. ($125 new from G&H). 

Mine is one of the 1963 type II undocumented National Match models (see Harrison, pg 192/3).  The stock has been redone very well but the cartouches are gone. Everything else is "correct". 

G&H will install the whole mount for $650 and it turns out, that the levers are a bit different from a standard over bore mount. This is done to clear the scope as it sits directly above the part housing the levers. The rifle being "undocumented" is just a fine shooter and I want to shoot it.
I was hoping some member of this site had G&H add the mount and could report results.

Thank You.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/26/2013 at 21:55
atp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2013 at 03:49
For mounting optics on a Garand, what you most likely want is the Ultimak, c. $172. Plus a red dot or a Scout Scope. The similar Amega scout mount is also fine, but sits higher.

For conventional rather than scout scopes, there simply aren't any good options for the Garand. Original M1D barrel mounting blocks are very scarce and expensive, the available clones were all crap, and no one makes an M1D-like scope mount for modern scopes anyway. The closest I've seen was this crude but very cool custom scope mount. The Griffin & Howe M1C-style mount is incredibly expensive, $400 or $500 plus $250 installation, and sits quite a bit higher than the WW-II era M1C mounts. The GunsAmerica M1 Garand Sniper Variants M1C & M1D article had some good info and pictures on this stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic