OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22 scope recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22 scope recommendation
    Posted: July/05/2004 at 08:49

Hi.  After spending an inordinate amount of time, I admit to being confused.  I have a Ruger 22/10 rifle I use for pest "re-education" (squirrels, beavers, etc.)  Due to eyesight limitations, I need a scope to make accurate shots in the common range of 25 to 100 yards.  On rare occassions, I might take a maximum shot of 300 yards.  My number one priority is to make the shot, but it seems silly to put a $300 scope on a $100 rifle.  I know Chris has recommended the Simmons 3x9x40 Whitetail and the Busnell Elite 3200 sometimes.  I see the Leatherwood Uni-dial 3.5x10x50 & the 4.x12x50 for about $200.  I also see something called the Nc 6x24x50 Lit range finder for less than $100.  What magnification and scope models would you recommend?  I greatly appreciate your advice!

Gary S 

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 09:46

i think the burris FF2 with the free spotter would be a great choice. it has the ballistic plex reticle so you can compensate for those long shots. i would steer clear of that NcStar, they seem to be nothin but trash. thats probably one reason why i dont see them on SWFA. if your up to spending the extra 100+ bucks, they also have the 4.5-14 with the B-plex, and the free spotter, and it will give you more power, and a adjustable objective, but either of the scopes would be a great choice.

cory

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 11:59

When it comes to .22s I want the smallest, lightest fixed 4x that I can find.  I personally use the old Redfields with the 1/2" tube.  I don't understand why people take a light and handy .22 and mess it up with an overly heavy and bulky scope.   300 yards seems a bit optimistic with a .22, at least for my shooting skills.  I don't think that anyone still makes a 1/2" tube, so I would just search for the smallest and lightest scope yopu can find.

ranburr

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 12:06

thats what i was thinking too, 300 yards with a 22lr, thats ALOT of drop. i think i have just about worn out using the FF2 with the free spotter for recommendations, lol . i have seen the tasco rimfire/airgun scope at galyans with a 1/2" tube, but i honestly know nothing about them. yeah, a lightweight scope is definently handy on a 22. if thats the case, i would get nothing that weights more than 13 ozs. and i would keep it under 10 if i could. but if it has a bull barrel, i would jsut try to keep it under i pound.

cory

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 12:07

i would liek to jsut add that ive seen a bushnell with a 1/2" tube in galyans also, but again, i dont know how they hold up. and the old redfeild scopes are awesome

cory

Gary S View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 14:48

Thank you Cory & Ranburr!  Two followup questions and I will leave you in peace.  All the scopes you talked about appear to be less than 13 oz.  First, I looked at the FF2 and like it.  Do you think it is a better choice than the Leatherwood for the same money?  Second, I looked at the Burris scopes trying to find a 4x.  I see some VERY inexpensive 4x 22 rimfire scopes.  Are those the ones you mean and are you suggesting the much cheaper scope will meet the need I described?  In the meantime I will go to Gallayans.

Thanks again for your time and expertise.

Gary S

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 14:59

i think you would appriciate a variable power scope on a gun for small critters. the FF2 would be my first choice, and a simmons whitetail expidition 4-12 from the sample list would be a good choice, i beleave it is 150, and it gives you the adjustable objective for parralax correction, which would be a great ideer, and you also have the nikon prostaff 2-7, and 3-9. im not sure what the parralax is set on, on the prostaffs. i would still stick with the ballistic plex in the burris thoguh.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 15:41

Simmons makes a line of competition Air Gun scopes called Pro-Air that work very well on rim fire applications.  They have 1/8 moa target knobs so you can really dial your groups down tight.  They have an adjustable objective that will focus inside of 10 yards and fully multi-coated optics.

Check 'em out.

Gary S View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 17:02

Good job.  THANKS GUYS!!

Gary S

.280 fan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .280 fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2004 at 09:44

Guys,

Why not the Leupold 2X7 rimfire???    Light.   Attractive.  Inexpensive.  Leupold!!!

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2004 at 10:11
I did not recommend a Leupold because of his comments about putting an expensive scope on a $100 gun and taking into consideration the brands and models he was already looking at.  So if you wanna go $240. and up let me know?  Then we can talk about a whole different class of scopes.  I still feel the Pro-Air is the best serious .22 scope for the money.  1/8 moa target knobs, adjustable objective for parallax, lots of magnification, very reasonable price, etc. etc.
mr.mossyoak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.mossyoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2004 at 09:46
what about a simmons aetec cheaply priced but very well made excellenct scope for a .22
if john kerry's wife does not trust him with her money, why should i
geordie gun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geordie gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2004 at 06:42

HI GARY , GOT 2 RUGER 10/22'S BOTH FITTED WITH SIMMONS SCOPES (WHICH I PICKED UP S.H.) THE ONE I USE FOR HUNTING HAS A WTC 3.5X10X40 THIS HAS PARALAX ADJUSTMENT ON THE FRONT WHICH IS HANDY FOR RANGE FINDING AND GOES OUT UP TO 500.ALSO GOT A LAZER FITTED ZERO' d @100.

BUT AS FOR A LONG SHOT WITH THE .22 , A KEEP TO 100YDS MAX TO BE SAFE . 

THE OTHER RIFLE IS FITTED WITH A 4X28 FIXED WHICH I USE ON INDOOR RANGES OR SHORT

RANGE HUNTING UP 75 YDS .

geordie gun
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic