OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 4 x 24 tactical

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 4 x 24 tactical
    Posted: May/19/2006 at 12:22
Does anyone have any experience with this line from IOR. I have been toying with the idea of one of these for my AR, but haven't heard any feedback about them. I like both reticles offered for the .223: NATO and CQB. I have also thought about the 6 x 42 tactical which is only about $100 more, but 4x would be enough magnification for my purposes and I like the compactness and light weight of the 4 x 24. Thanks in advance for any info....
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 13:24
I've had had a dozen or so of these at one time or another.  Great glass.  Personally, I like the CQB reticle more but MP9 (NATO) is also good.  M2 is a little lighter, but M1 has a little more eye relief.  For a 223, go with a lighter M2.  BDC works well.

One word of caution is that the reticle moves within the field of view when you adjust Windage/Elevation, so in order for it to appear in the center of the field of view to start with you may need to adjust with the scope mount a little.

ILya
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 13:36

Thanks for the input, koshkin, great info. The eye relief isn't an issue on the .223 and I thought it would be a great little scope for the AR. I'm looking to replace my ATN 5 x 33 with this in the future. I haven't had any problems with it, except that it is just too heavy. I assume the IOR's you had held zero and tracked accurately?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 14:27
Yes, I think I had four or five M1s with three different reticles and at least a couple of M2s and a couple of early models without focus ring.  THey all worked well as far as tracking and holding zero goes.  Much better glass than any ATN I've ever seen.

ILya
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 05:42

So how do these IORs stack up against an ACOG TA-04?  I know they don't cost as much.

Reliability issues?  Warranty issues? 

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 11:33

Veru different scopes, really.  I've never had any reliability issues with 4x24 IORs, but IOR customer service is not very well regarded.  They do fix it, but it is seldom a pleasant customer service experience.  On the other hand if you buy from a reputable dealer like SWFA, they will help you deal with IOR customer service.

The advantage of an ACOG is primarily in terms of a reticle illuminated without batteries and ability to use Bindon consept aiming.  I do not think that the IOR  illumination is sufficiently bright for that.  Optically, I've been very happy with my IORs and I do not think ACOG is any better.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic