OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.17 WSM Rim fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hscess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .17 WSM Rim fire
    Posted: July/23/2013 at 23:32
I have the new .17 WSM Rim fire that Savage calls the B-Mag which is the new 17 WSM rife pushing a 20 grain bullet a 3000 FPS. I was wondering what will be a decent magnification for shooting small varmints here in Texas. Realistically shooting 300 max yards. I was thinking the SS 6X or the SS 10X. I know these scopes are very tough and for $300 to $400 they are hard to beat. Any help will be appreciated.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2013 at 10:43
I'd go with the SS 6X over the 10X would give you better FOV and plenty of mag to max out the potential of that round.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
hscess View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hscess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2013 at 14:53
That's kinda the way I was thinking. I have the 10X S.S. with side focus and it is a great scope. I was also looking at the Vortex line as well last night. It seems they have good scopes as well, but I am leaning toward the 6X S.S.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2013 at 21:40
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope
Stock # - SS315X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • First Focal Plane
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Side Focus (6m-infinity)
  • OK for .50cal
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
$699.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
krmcne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krmcne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2013 at 18:36
I had been using a 4.5-14x scope on my .17HMR for prairie dogs out to 150 yards. I switched scopes with another gun and put a 3-9x scope on it for a while, but 9x just didn't have the magnification I liked with prairie dogs, so I switched it back. The SWFA scope listed above looks like a good choice for me.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2013 at 21:37
I've been using a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5 with BDC on a .17 HMR and it really works well for small varmints.  I just put an SS 3-15x on my 6.5 Grendel AR and am very impressed with it so far.  That reticle should be even more suitable for .17 HMR or WSM than the Nikon BDC.  When Savage, CZ or Volquartsen makes a .17 WSM in a light varmint rifle I will be a player and definitely try the SS 3-15x on it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic