OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Koshkin in Texas

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Should Koshkin move to Austin?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koshkin in Texas
    Posted: May/18/2006 at 20:39
I think he should go.  Austin is by far the most liberal city in Texas, so it wouldn't be too much of a culture shock.  Austin's a fine place with a lot of fine country around it.  I believe you'd love it there.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 03:56
Well, I am probably the most conservative guy in California, so the most liberal city in Texas should be about right 

I also think I would enjoy Texas.  However, I still have two years of business school left and my wife has two years of nursing program left.  Although, I am currently working for Raytheon, I am considering a switch to financial services, so I'll need to look at the job market very carefully.

ILya
mary View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 08:20

Koshkin,

Have you considered Dallas?  There are a lot of business opportunities around here.  Baylor hospital, downtown, is one of the best hospitals, along with Children's, to work at.  I have several nurse friends and most of them tell me the same thing,  Baylor is one of the top paying facilities around.  Also Baylor has a nursing program available.   Just a few things to think about!

Mary

I thrive on knowledge...Help me learn....
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 09:07

Don't forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HOME OF THE

GO DIRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 13:09
I've considered Dallas, but people keep on telling me that the climate is aweful.  I am not especially sensitive to that, but my wife is.  This is all a fairly theoreticla exercise, for now.  We plan to get in the car and drive across America, so to speak, when we are done with school and visit the plaves that are of interest to us.  Well, in all fairness we'll probably fly to the east coast and drive along the coast.  I am not all that interested in the Midwest.

As for the Mavericks, I am really not into basketball, I am afraid, so I do not get very excited about a bunch of overpaid crybabies (same goes for NFL, NHL, etc.)

ILya
bill47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 14:16
Careful, there.  They may be overpaid crybabies, but they're Stephanie's overpaid crybabies!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 14:29
I was actually referring to all of NBA, but nevertheless I offer my apologies to Stephanie.

When I said I hadn't had my coffee yet. 

ILya
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 14:34

Originally posted by bill47 bill47 wrote:

Careful, there.  They may be overpaid crybabies, but they're Stephanie's overpaid crybabies!

YEAH!!!     

Koshkin, Thank you for the apology, and I agree about the overpaid part, but crybabies? You must be referring to Michael Finley, which now plays for the Spurs!!! "losers".  Mavs may be overpaid, but it doesn't change the fact that they rock!

I will apologize to you for stealing your thunder here, I just wanted to let you know what a great team we have here. I was trying to convince you to move here!!

bill47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 14:53

For those that could find 6 f's

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 16:08
If I do move to Dallas, Mavericks will not be the deciding factor.

But being able to go to SWFA store and look at different optics might be the clincher though
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2006 at 13:18

Got this e-mailed to me today.

>Moving to Texas from the North
>(nothing personal now lol )
>May 30th:
>Just moved to
Dallas. Now this is a city that knows how to live!! Beautiful
>sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I watched the sunset from
>a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I
>love it here!
>
>June 14th:
>Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an
>air-conditioned home, drive an air conditioned car. What a pleasure to see
>the sun everyday like this. I'm turning in to a sun worshiper.
>
>June 30th:
>Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and
>rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me. Another
>scorcher today, but I love it here.
>
>July 10th:
>The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to
>this kind of heat? At least it's kind of windy though. But getting used to
>the heat and humidity is taking longer than I expected.
>
>July 15th:
>Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3
>days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to
>respect the ole sun in a climate like this .
>
>July 20th:
>I missed Morgan, our cat, sneaking into the car when I left this morning.
>By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Morgan had died and swollen up
>to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $2,000.00 leather
>upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like
>Kibbles and sh*ts. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.
>
>July 25th:
>The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot as
>hell. The home air-conditoner is not working and the AC repairman charged $
>200.00 just to drive by the house and tell me he needed to order parts.
>
>July 30th:
>Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. $1,500.00 in damn house
>payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I come here????
>
>Aug. 4:
>It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost
& gt;$700.00 and gets the temperature down to 85, but this freaking humidity
>makes the house feel like it's about 95.
>
>Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid city.
>
>Aug. 8th:
>If another wise ass asks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to strangle
>him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my
>clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!
>
>Aug 9th:
>Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and sat on the black
>leather seats in the ole car. I thought my ass was on fire. I lost 2 layers
>of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and ass. Now my car smells
>like burnt hair, fried ass, and baked cat.
>
>Aug. 10th:
>The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny! Hot
>and sunny! Hot and sunny! It's been too hot to do sh*t for 2 damn months
>and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever
>rain in this damn desert? Water rationing now, so my $1700.00 worth of
>cactus just dried up and blew into the damn pool. Even the cactus can't
>live in this damn heat.
>
>Aug. 14th:
>WELCOME TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Temperature got to 115 today. Forgot to crack
>the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came
>to fix it and said, "Heyyyy, hot enough for you today?" My wife had to
>spend the $1500.00 house payment to bail me out of jail.
>
>Freaking
Texas!!!! What kind of person would want to live here
>anyway?????????????

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2006 at 14:21

Funny.

I am a desert rat though. Can't scare me with hot weather.

ILya

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2006 at 17:31

Koshkin,

Its not the heat that kills you here in the South. Everywhere gets hot, But the South gets Hot and Humid. Think of being out in the Palmdale, Lancaster area or Pearblossom in August. Now, throw in 99% RH. You'll swaet like a pig, and because there is so much water in the air you'll get no evaporation to cool you down. I've lived here over 15 years and can say if anyone tells you "you'll get use to it", ITS A LIE. But, it beats L.A. Whenever it gets blazin' hot and you start to sweat the second you turn the water off in the shower. I just remember the I-10 and I-101 interchange and then the commute to the I-57. That brings a smile to my face and I say,

" GOD, I LOVE the SOUTH. "     

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2006 at 14:37

Of course, the winters are a whole different story.  I lived in Waco for two years and the saying was the only thing between us and North Dakota was one barb wire fence, and it didn't break the wind much.  Then in the spring the Blue Northers roll in; you go from sweating to freezing in about 15 minutes.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, though.  Texas has everything I need.

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2006 at 00:28

Koshkin: I was unaware that you were moving from this west coast zoo called California.  However, I can see why you and so many others are leaving (soon as I retire ....Im gone  but that is 18 years away

Personally, I hate the heat so Im heading north Idaho perhaps. 

However, I am sure you will miss the little things like $600 year vehicle registration, and average house for $700,000 little stuff like that LOL

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2006 at 00:54
I am not moving yet.  In a couple of years I might, but I think my wife and I will start scouting out locations in the meantime.  So far North Carolina is the place most recommended to me, with Austin, Texas being in the second place.  I've been to neither so far.

ILya
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2006 at 13:52

Funny you should mention North Carolina.  I have a friend who is planning to move there and he has relatives who already sold in California and moved back there.  my brother has also showed and interest in North Carolina....Humm maybe they are on to something.

I was also thinking of Kentucky...what I plan to do is take some summer and winter trips and stay for a couple weeks, get a feel for the climate (both personal and weather).  

Good Luck

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2006 at 16:02
Apparently North Carolina is very business-friendly and a bunch of companies are starting there or are opening offices there.  Then there is the Research Triangle and several financial/investment companies are opening offices for people who do not want to live in New York...

I even heard that the people there were warm and friendly (that is until I found out that cheaptrick hails from North Carolina).

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2006 at 14:57

Koshkin look before you leap.  Austin does have some redeaming qualities, lake Travis is fairly nice Conan's pizza is top quality and Grins hamburgers in San Marcos as well as the BBQ in Luling are driving distance as is Chris Madrids in San Antonio. So I'm familiar with the area but my pick of central texas is Kerville. The gulf coast is driving distance from Austin and San Antonio which is a big plus recreationally. Houston and Dallas are a mad house. Dallas though is not close enough to the coast to be convenient and San Antonio is a much more plesant city to live in as long as you live on the north side. Having lived in Montana, Texas, California, Maryland, New York, Iowa and Washington State, I would have to say my personal favorite is Washington State. I currently reside in Iowa which has terain similar to central Texas farm fields rolling hills rivers trees only diffenence is we have winter here. The plus side to Iowa is you can still afford to buy at least some land but its going up in price. There is public hunting available all over Iowa where in Texas if you dont own it you dont hunt on it. The deer hunting in Iowa is the best I have experienced bar none, but it is not a friendly system to out of state hunters and is more friendly to bow hunting than anything else. North Carolina might be a consideration for you but I would not entirely rule out the midwest because it has a excellent educational system and enviroment to raise children. As for Washington State it was very fun to ride motorcycles throught the mountains and kayak the clear water in Puget Sound and fun to visit Canada. the weather in Washington was like having air conditioning outside in July and August but without the ice age winters of the midwest. As for Texas the best time of year is Mar & Apr when the wildflowers are in bloom there after that you need to take a vacation untill Sept or so and enjoy the winter there.

Now in a perfect world as a resident of Iowa I would say live in Rockport, Texas (with occasional visits to San Antonio) Dec 31 though April 20th go to Iowa plant soybeans  and corn the last week of April and May 1 go to Sequim, Washington through Sept. 1 returning to Iowa to harvest and to prepare for hunting through December 31 then start over.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 04:12

The hunting in Iowa is, as Ufriend stated is outstanding.

The deer are HUGE!! 

I believe the world record non typical white tail buck was taken outside of Albia, IA.

Both my mother and my father's parents lived in that town, so I spent a lot of time hunting in that area.

I was born about 20 miles from there, in Ottumwa.

(Yeah, the same town Radar O'Reily was from on MASH.) 

I grew up in and around Burlington which is on the Mississippi River.

I miss pheasant hunting the most!

Exceptional quail, duck, goose as well.  

Coyotes are a plague, so varmint hunting is not only accepted, it's highly encouraged.

All that said, Iowa sucks for excitement.

VERY BORING!!!.

Iowans pride themselves on being behind the times.

Too slow an enviorment for cheaptrick!

Cold winters and hot summers.

My recommendation?? Buy some hunting land in Iowa and keep looking for another place to live.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic