OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage Model 12 LPR 6.5 Creedmoor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage Model 12 LPR 6.5 Creedmoor
    Posted: July/20/2013 at 16:48
Hey Guys!
Well I just got a Model 12 Long Range Precision in a 6.5 Creedmoor, its built like a small tank . Comes with a Target Accutrigger, Over Size Bolt New Designed HS Precision Stock, 26" Bull Barrel, weighs in at 11lbs Naked.. It aint pretty but its gonna be a shooter from what everyone says, still waiting on a mount for the SightronIII 6x24x50 2 MOA Scope...

So then I want to buy another barrel that I can swap out myself (with prop. tools) So I can either shoot my favorite the 7mm-08 or what sounds pretty fun! 6.5 x 284 round and I think it will work without changing bolt as well.
The other rounds its capable of as I undersatnd is-
22-250
6, 6.5, 7 and 30br
6 Dasher
6.5x47L
And the list goes on. Basically, any short action cartridge that has a 0.437" rim diameter will work with this bolt.

So the question is who or where is the best place to get a Savage barrel for this rifle?
Thanks!
J...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2013 at 19:10
Hey Julio

These guys sell alot of savage stuff. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Shilen, PacNor, Lothar Walther, also sell prefit savage barrels. I am sure there are others as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2013 at 19:23
Having had Encore rifles with multiple barrels I suggest you just stay with what you bought -- it will do nicely each time you switch out you just lost the caliber you had so I find it pointless to have multiple barrels unless you have multiple rifles.   If you want to pick up another rifle in a different cartridge I suggest you pick up a .243 in a Tikka stainless T3

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2013 at 19:43
Just wondering, but what are you trying to accomplish with changing the barrel to a different caliber? And how often do you think you would change barrels?
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2013 at 12:08
Thanks Supertool73 Jason Dude!
I received rail mount today, looking forward to shooting this rifle...These barrels swap out easily on the Savage, might even build one now. The way you do your AR's.Smile

Wes, I already have a Weatherby (Howa) Vanguard II in 243, although it could never hurt to have another one. Right now Im getting into LR target Shooting.

Edited by JF4545 - July/21/2013 at 15:39
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2013 at 22:20
Honestly Julio every time one adds a different caliber or a different weight bullet it gets more complex.  The guy who uses one caliber with the same weight bullet all the time should over time know where that bullet will be at known distances.  I recommend against adding barrels and suggest you use it like it is until you wear out that barrel then  if you want to change calibers at that point that is the time to do it unless you really cant find ammo for the caliber you have then I could see buying a different caliber and selling the old barrel.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2013 at 10:07
Swapping calibers is equally (if not more) complicated as moving scopes between guns; you have to maintain 2 sets of zeroes - which differ by conditions and may wander based on mounting repeatability.

If you have 2 calibers that shoot similar, this will be easier, but then the overlap of calibers becomes somewhat purpose-limited.

Your list goes from .22 up to .30, so there are similar velocities and close BCs to be had in that mix, but selecting bullets and velocities to accommodate barrel swaps make it even more complicated.

I agree with Wes, run it as a dedicated caliber till it needs re-barrelling, or run as a swap barrel only when you really need to swap - and only when you have the time to completely retool for a new caliber.

This is one of those things that seems, at first glance, to be simple and awesome, but ends up with one barrel always on the gun and another sitting in a closet unused.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2013 at 10:30
Build it, get it dialed in and then use the crap out out of it to learn it.

Swapping stuff back and forth sounds great on paper until you run into even a minor issue one day that will screw up your confidence.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2013 at 12:32
I see your point guys....She is almost done now, having a good friend/gunsmith bed her in... He does such great work!   Anyway, since I could not find a heavy target rifle out of the box in 7mm-08 I settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor, which Im sure will be fine..     Ive also learned lately how easy it is to just buy a Stainless Savage target type action and add a barrel and stock, I may just do that instead down the road ...  Ive come to a place where I just like tinkering with rifles it seems, kind of a hobby...I will however leave this one alone and shoot it for now.... Bandito  I may be moving to Pueblo, CO. and there ought to be alot of flat places to shoot this rifle, should be fun!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2013 at 13:43
If Julio is like some shooters, they never stop tinkering.  Never find a perfect load and stick to it, because they are always changing powder/bullet etc trying to find something better. 

So Julio if you look at it in that aspect and you just wants to tinker then I say have at it.  Thunbs Up  It is fun to build your own guns and swap parts out all the time.  If it forces you to shoot a lot more because you are always having to re-zero, then the plus side is you get to shoot more. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2013 at 14:29
Although it's easy to switch barrels on Savage rifles with a spanner wrench due to the barrel nut they use, keep in mind that in order to do so, you would also need go/no go gauges for each different chambering you plan to use to insure safe headspacing. Also, if you change barrels often, you'll start to get some wear on the barrel threads, making the fit sloppier over time. It would take a LOT of barrel changing before that would happen, but it's worth noting nevertheless. This (along with the need for a vice, barrel wrench, and headspace gauges) is why firearms systems specifically designed for interchangeable barrels don't involve unscrewing and re-torquing the barrel, UNLESS it has interrupted barrel threads, such as the Browning SA-22.

I look at the "easy barrel exchange-ability" of the Savage rifles more as a convenience feature for when you shoot out a barrel or decide to upgrade to a better quality barrel later on than a "quick change" feature. But, regardless of how easy it is to change out the barrel, NEVER, EVER do so without setting, checking and re-checking headspace with gauges! The consequences of not doing so can cause case head separation, resulting in serious injury or death.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2013 at 15:41
Yep I like to tinker, always have Jason. I simply enjoy it and like always learning new things..... Im just not gonna argue my point with anyone thats all, don't have to.... So its more simple to say, yeah you are right and just move on.. We are all different, that does not mean that mean there is only one correct or proper way of doing things, sometimes maybe but not always..Smile
I always appreciate Teds views as well, you have way way more experience then I and thats why I still belong to this site, to just learn more through others experience.  Ted knows I blew up a barrel once and it was my own damn fault too!! Thanks Excellent   J.....

Edited by JF4545 - July/22/2013 at 16:00
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2013 at 22:44
Julio think about having an Encore with some Bullberry barrels if you want to switch calibers on the same rifle. http://www.bullberry.com/encore_barrels.html    Then just set them up with a picatinny rail and use La Rue quick detach LT719 rings to switch the scope around.  I guarantee you can shoot as much ammo out of a single shot Encore as you can afford to reload.   And when you take it hunting you wont feel like you are carrying a piece of train track.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/22/2013 at 22:50

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2013 at 12:59
Good Idea Wes, I will look into the Encore!!   Im not planning on packing that Savage anywhere I have Lightweight Rifles just for hunting. This is a rig that will be used for target (bench) and sometimes set up a little ways from the truck or on the edge of a draw to shoot varmints at a distance with a bi-pod...This thing is gonna weigh around 14 pounds when its done.....Should be Fun!
7magmike View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7magmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 23:15
Nice rifle, I am wanting to get one in 260rem.
aim small miss small..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic