OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

installing mounts & rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldTimeHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: installing mounts & rings
    Posted: July/19/2013 at 22:33
OK, so I recently purchased a cooper 30-06 and it had Leupold bases, so I bought Leupold rings 30mm size mounted the scope, bore sighted it, had everything tightened nicely, and three days ago I came home from the range confused because the rounds were flying all over the target. 

I pulled out the bolt and started to get my cleaning stuff ready when I noticed the rear scope ring had broken loose from the mount and the "ears" on the ring base were kinda shredded, and moved forward about 15mm from the mount point so the scope was wiggling all over Loco

So, I ordered talley bases and talley rings 30mm, the tactical rings and just realized from the on-line pictures of the ring bases bases that they are different heights.
So, any suggestions on how I should mount the bases and the rings; honestly I only want to do this once - and I'm really irritated that I had spent several hundred dollars on a rifle and scope and the rings blew out - I think this might have also hurt the scope too; not sure yet.

Long story short which base gets mounted in front position on the rifle, the high one or the low one???Whacko
Thanks for your help.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2013 at 07:59
Welcome to Optics Talk.

So, you have a canted rail, I assume?  20 MOA, perhaps?

If so, thicker or higher end of the base is to the rear of the rifles action

Here's my 30mm Badger low ring, on a 20 MOA EGW picatinny set up.   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2013 at 08:02
Here's the same ring/scope combo on a 20 MOA Badger rail. 

OldTimeHunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldTimeHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2013 at 14:01
Those look like the Tally rings I bought but the bases are these:
http://swfa.com/Talley-2-Piece-Base-P4885.aspx
and the rings are
http://swfa.com/Talley-Tactical-30mm-Rings-P42116.aspx
see, the bases, they look to be different heights ..Sad
my '06 gives a bit of a bump for recoil, this cooper is the first bolt action I've ever owned and my two other rifles don't have scopes, so this is new for me. I cannot figure out why the bases have different heights, but if that's the way they come then I suppose I'll have to work with them. I just wanted a set of quality rings and bases that would be less of a hassle than those Leupold rings, which seem to me to be a silly set up. I'm going west next year to hunt for mule deer and previous experiences say that the 200-400yd shot is more likely than the 75-125 yard shots I get in the Adirondacks, so I need a scope and solid mounts I can count on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2013 at 13:34
Oh OK. 

I haven't used those particular bases. I've used the vertical split Talley's and the light weight rings, which I love, as do others on here. The LW's are $40 and strong as heck. 

I'd guess the the thicker base goes to the rear, but I'd suggest calling Talley in the morning and ask them directly. They are very nice people and can help you get squared away.
Sorry you've had such a bad time.    
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldTimeHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2013 at 18:00
Thanks for the help - I'll give the Talley folks a call, they should enjoy this on a Monday morning, start the week off with a a little help and some grins. The mounts and bases should be here by Wednesday, then I'll remount the scope and figure out if it's buggered up too or still works. But at least the problem is something I can fix myself. Wink Thanks again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2013 at 18:35
I thought you already had the bases in hand. They may come with instructions.
I'd still give Talley a call and ask them any questions you may have and they will be glad to help you, I'm sure.

Let us know when you get that Cooper up and running and post some pics for us.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldTimeHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2013 at 15:56
My order arrived today,

BUT ---- the Talley Bases have FOUR (4) different size screws in the Box/ bag.  looks like they are stepped in sizes from 5mm to 11mm and I tried to install them three different
orderings but they are too long and the bolt does not retract.

Called Talley - they are sending me out new screws tomorrow; - good for me. But I'd like to know how that would happen, it doesn't seem like it would be accidental; if either a machine or person were packaging the product. Nope, not happy, not at all.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
--- Mark Twain
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2013 at 16:54

More than likely that base assembly is also used on other receivers requiring different length mounting hardware.  You can be sure that Talley will make it right.  GREAT people.

Did you find out which base goes where?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldTimeHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2013 at 18:08
Hey for once something was easy - the bases are drilled differently and I did call Talley, so I know which one goes in front and back; even here nothing was just one question because the front base is not symmetric and there is a forward and back facing portion here - fortunately Talley folks explained that one too.
You were 110% correct,
Their person on the other end of the telephone was very friendly, patient and helpful. When I get things mounted, I will post pictures of the bases and rings and the install so this might be helpful to someone in the future. 

I'm guessing the screws should be here by Friday or Monday; thereby giving me time to look for a scope for my old Remington 740; apparently Pa had a scope on it a long,long time ago and didn't like it; I shoot well enough with irons in the woods so scopes were never a passion until now.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
--- Mark Twain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2013 at 18:16
Good deal. We here recommend the good folks at Talley whenever we get a chance. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2013 at 10:40
As a good rule of thumb, I would avoid the rear windage / front turn-in style mounts like the plague whenever possible. As you've seen, the rear windage base / ring connection is very weak.

I'm glad you got the screw orientation worked out. The reason for the different screw lengths is because the screw holes go through the receiver wall, and on the front receiver ring, if you use screws that are too long, they will interfere with the barrel threads and the top locking lug on the bolt.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic