OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2013 Mississippi Alligator - Public Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 16:01
I was just wondering how an Entomologist ended up managing a resort... Yup thats a bug alright...step on em!  It seems a little off your area of expertise and chosen path is all.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 16:05
I think he was talking historically as in past employment Skip...  Sound like a great job though..
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 19:41
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I think he was talking historically as in past employment Skip...  Sound like a great job though..

Yes it does.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2013 at 07:19
It WAS (initially) a good job... made some $. Problem was, as it progressed it became rather political in nature. I pretty much suck at politics, and proceeded to manage with reckless abandon. After 11 years, I resigned to regain my sanity and health. WDW should be the world's greatest place to work. Unfortunately, it's too full of a$$holes and big shot wannabies. I didn't fit that mold. I was credentialed, experienced and good at it, but I don't kiss butt very well. It was a good experience though. Hippie
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2013 at 07:44
I use to help the my uncle with the wildlife catch gators in areas and release in the swamps.  They are super strong.  I had a picture of me with a small one I caught and released on here once.... it was photoshopped after the fact but I'll see what i can dredge up.  Take a big enough gun for sure.  Those shows with them taking them with a 22 are trying to keep the wounds small for the hide and skull retail values. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2013 at 07:50
Well you obviously survived it!  If you enjoyed it for a few years and made good coin you really can't complain!  Afterall, how many people do you know that actually love their job?!?!?
--Thomas Jefferson

REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2013 at 14:13
Was thinking about taking a little single shot 410 of mine.  Think it'll be enough?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2013 at 20:42
Maybe for the mesquitos.  Smile
--Thomas Jefferson

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2013 at 21:30
That's what I said!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 06:02

Big Grin
--Thomas Jefferson

REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 08:40
For real.  Thank God for Thermacell.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 09:19

REMF  do you have a lever action 357?  thats what T-roy and Bigfoot from Tx use on the big gators lolRoll on Floor Laughing

I think any good medum size round would work.  Heck a centerfire handgun round would probably be sufficent.   I'd opt for something compact and with GREAT sights.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 10:44
REMF will soon be schooled on exactly what is legal for dispatching gators in MS.  My choice is usually the biggest round the law allows.

I'd rather lose a little skin and meat off the animal than skin and meat off me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 11:03
here, here!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 14:10
Where permissible a .44 mag bangstick was fun.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 15:35
BANGSTICK?!?!?/  I want it already DEAD before I get close enough to use a bangstick!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 15:37
Hunting laws in MS differ pretty substantially from their Louisiana neighbors. 

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 15:44
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

Hunting laws in MS differ pretty substantially from their Louisiana neighbors. 

Why they are probably all cousins.

Only Kidding.

Whacko
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 16:45
Yep.  Handguns are specifically prohibited, but bangsticks are allowed.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2013 at 23:24
From what I have seen rimfire 22 and 22 mag are the cartridge of choice.  The intent it to make as small of a hole in only one place as possible.  The more damage to the skin the less money it is worth. I have seen them use everything from a musket to pistols to a ruger mini 14 etc.  What does the state law say does it require centerfire if it does  a 38 in a .357 lever gun would work you dont want over penetration or an exit hole if you can help it.  I would use a 22mag and also have something like a .223 for longer shots and zero that at 100 and know where it hits from 50 yds to 100.  I think the lead weighted  tripple hook and throw line is a must have item to recover one. Supposed to be a small round spot at the back of the head that is the target.  Do be cautious of snakes and have snake boots or chaps available.  Not sure what you have for a boat but  be carefull trying to load one that you dont sink it look at load capacity and figure what a 900 lb gator will do.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic