OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2013 Mississippi Alligator - Public Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Mississippi Alligator - Public Water
    Posted: July/15/2013 at 21:51
Time to head back to my roots.  I was born and raised in Mississippi, so I have a lifetime non-resident native son hunting license that pretty much allows me to do anything in the state that a resident can.  That includes registering for the public alligator lottery - which I've lost for the past five years or so.

This year I was picked.  Trouble is... I don't know squat about alligator hunting.  

I've got to attend a class before being issued my tags, but I was wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips or suggestions.  I'm not so stupid as to believe I'm an expert because I've seen Swamp People.

Thanks,
REMF
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 06:44

Excellent  good luck with this!  I'd shoot them but don't think I'd be interested in hooking one first... Shocked
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 07:11
While employed at Dismal, we caught / captured hundreds of gators. However, we were limited to live trapping (we used over-sized, self manufactured hav-a-hart style traps) and / or catching them with a looped pole or a thrown treble hook. We were not allowed to use firearms or to dispatch them... had to call the state trappers in for that and was usually done off-property. I will say this... they love marshmellows... LOL. Good luck and do pay attention during your training. Some of those creatures can get a might nasty when riled up. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 08:49
Still I'd pick a gator over a croc everytime if I had to tangle with one!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 08:50
Wasn't that a little out of your realm of expertise, bug man??? Smile
--Thomas Jefferson

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 09:16
How hard can it be: hook a big one, reel for dear life, shoot it with a 12-gauge when it gets close, it is gonna be awesome!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 10:11
First you have to  get someone to knock out your front teeth or black them out with shoe polish so you fit in. Cool Build yourself a huge trebel hook by taking three large hooks inside a short piece of conduit and pour melted lead in to give it some weight.  I'd use  550 chord.   rotten chicken or anything that smells bad should attract them the lines are hung above the water so fish dont get the bait.   Most gator hunters have one pulling the line and the second guy shooting it in the head with a 22mag but some are shot over open water with higher calibers then recovered with the throwing hook.  Should take some serious time on the water scouting.  Like other animals the males  also react to sent of  urine  of the female. So if you come across someone who has a female see if you can get some urine on a rag and set that with a bait line for scent.  
We had them in Texas had to have Parks and Wildlife catch them live with a dogcatchers rod and noose then tape the mouth shut and transport the unhappy critter and release.   PS:  CHOOT EM
Keep your hands out of the mouth Wizard and make dam sure its dead before you pull it in the boat.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 10:50
Oh yeah. Rancid Coolaid is invited. Hope the boy can fish for gator.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 10:52
Is there something your not telling us, Oh Eclectic One? Smile
--Thomas Jefferson

REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 21:01
Last time Rancid and I hunted nuisance animals together, he shot a beaver (multiple times) with a 45-70 -then had to go back to the Polaris for my .22 pistol.  I wish I had those 10 rounds back.  22 ammo is hard to come by!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 08:45

Wait a minute...45-70 won't do the job so go to a .22?!??   BRILLIANT! Excellent
--Thomas Jefferson

REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 08:55
Don't ask me.  I was in a deer stand 200 yards away.

He said the critter was still moving, and he didn't want to mess with a mostly dead beaver.

Rancid?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 09:19
Are you trying to get Rancid on the ballet for the next Darwin or something???  Seems to me that would be... hazzardous to your health...Wink 
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 09:21
Personaly I would have deployed a small explosive device.... Hippie
--Thomas Jefferson

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 09:34
The beaver was a zero check on a gun that hadn't been in the field for 3+ years.  The beaver was swimming toward, so I aimed a little behind the head and spined him.
He seemed to be paralyzed from the wound back, so back legs and tail were dead.  Rather than leave him there suffering, I decided to dispatch him quickly - but without putting 2 more 1/2" holes in him.

REMF mentioned he had his suppressed 22, so I decided that was the way to go.  I haven't shot the gun before, didn't know where rounds were falling, and had to fire a few rounds to make sure I put one in his brain.  He thrashed (with the good half of his body) a bit, so I fired a few more to end his misery.

In the end, it was about 10 rounds of 22LR, all subsonic, just to be sure.

If you will recall, within a few days of this incident, a guy was killed by a beaver.  "They are mean little animals, but their coats are worth a fortune."

He was a big beaver!

Now, can we return to the topic of the hilarity that will result from my alligator hunting?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 13:21
Dont forget to have the camera crew on standby. Cool

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 15:10
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Negative. Anything inhabitating a spot where it wasn't suppose to be was relocated. That included creatures such as peacocks, snakes, armadillos, birds, iguanas, gators, roadkilled deer, bobcats, etc. I was the property-wide manager on the resort side. It's a big place!!! We had crews 24/7/365.
               Anomymous
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 15:34
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Negative. Anything inhabitating a spot where it wasn't suppose to be was relocated. That included creatures such as peacocks, snakes, armadillos, birds, iguanas, gators, roadkilled deer, bobcats, etc. I was the property-wide manager on the resort side. It's a big place!!! We had crews 24/7/365.

Wow how did u land that gig?  Sounds like fun and a ton of responsibility.
--Thomas Jefferson

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 15:55

Possibly because I was eminently qualified and highly sought after. Probably, just lucky. LOL  Bow
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2013 at 15:59

Possibly because I was eminently qualified and highly sought after. Probably, just lucky. LOL  Bow

Great answer bNb!

Cool
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic