OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BROWNING RIFLESCOPES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fefe2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BROWNING RIFLESCOPES
    Posted: July/04/2004 at 11:10
HI, DOES ANYBODY HAS ANY EXPERIENCE WITH BROWNING RIFLESCOPES? WHERE ARE THESE MADE, BY WHICH COMPANY?

THANKS,

FERNANDO
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2004 at 14:45

I have yet to hold one in my hand or research the issue so this is pure rumor.  Made in Japan by Hakko.  Almost anytime you see a scope with a gun company's name on it, it has been made in Japan.  Hakko is essentially the number two man in Japan for scopes and they do a ton of brand labeling.  The scope's quality will be a direct reflection on how much they spent getting it built.  It really does not matter who built it, a brand labeled $200.00 scope from one manufacturerer is essentially the same quality of a brand labeled $200.00 made by someone else.  That being said, some factories have better reputations then others, but if the same money is spent, quality will be close.  I am guessing that the Browning scopes are probably a mid quality product that will be around 3-5 years and then no longer be offered.  I can't think of any gun company that actually kept their scope line around for more than just a few years.  The latest to try this was Smith & Wesson and they have apparently called it quits after just a couple of years.

ranburr 

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2004 at 15:22

..............I see Browning is continuing to whore it's name out.

I hope the scopes are better quality than Browning bows and knives.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2004 at 16:03
I have to agree with ranburr 100% on this one. If the scopes don't sell well, some corporate brain trust decides to kill the product for whatever reason or any number of reasons you will have problems down the road if your scope fails, gets damaged etc. There are so many quality scopes available from solid companies like Burris, Bushnell Elites, Leupold, Nikon, Weaver Grand Slam's and Zeiss(for ranburr) that it makes no sense to take a risk. Any of the above should provide you with a lifetime of trouble free performance.
fefe2003 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fefe2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2004 at 17:56
Thank you all for the feedback....I think you are right about sticking to well known brands...
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 14:39

They are made in the same factory as the Bushnell Elite scopes.  The Browning scope has a hair more eye relief .  They also rate the light transmission at 93% instead of 94% like the 4200 scopes (probably a marketing ploy so Bushnell can still advertise the brightest scope made).  The tube is constructed out of standard aluminum stock and the Elite uses a special alloy.  The Elite also has rainguard and the Browning does not.  Elites come with a $100.00 gear bag too.

So basically its a stripped down 4200 with different cosmetics.  If any gun maker branded scope ever had a chance of making it.....this one is it.  We just special ordered two for Hank Williams Jr. that are shipping out today.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 15:24

Note the cool rubber accents on the power selector and adjustment caps.  Also a square saddle.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 17:54

Thanks for the info Chris.  If it is a watered down 4200 why will anyone buy it instead of the Bushnell?  A scope line does some what compliment Browning's current lineup.  But, does it really make good business sense to try and take on full-time optics companies?  I don't think you can gain much market share when you have nothing to differentiate yourself from the competition.  The only way that I can see this lasting is if they really push Browning rifle and scope combos straight from the factory or if they can really leverage their distribution channels and force them to move the scopes.  I think that Browning firearms is probably going to need to be the number one customer of Browning optics if there is any chance of survival.  Personally, I would think that MBA 101 would tell them that this is a bad idea, but, Browning has managed to be the brand label king of the outdoor product world for a long time.  Who knows?  Maybe they can be the ones who finally pull it off.

ranburr     

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2004 at 10:18

I think they will sell because they are being distributed through Bushnell's existing dealer/distributor network and they offer models not covered by the current 4200 line-up.

2-7x32.....$239.95

3-9x40.....$249.95

3-9x50.....$289.95

5-15x40.....$339.95

Rainguard does not mean much to Texas hunters and if I could save over $100.00 by getting an aluminum 4200 with no rainguard I think I would do it every time.  Only problem would be that damn Browning logo mounted on my Remington.

BTW, we will be stocking them shortly.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2004 at 17:11
Chris, looks to me that the Browning scopes are more akin to the 3200's when you compare the models offered, specs and the fast focus eyepiece that is on the 3200. If that is the case, I hope that they are utilizing quality optics and your not just paying for the Browning name. Maybe the Browning logo is 18K gold!!!
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2004 at 17:24
The best we can tell with out getting the official word is that they are 3200 powers using 4200 glass with cosmetic attempts to camouflage their origin.
WileyCat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WileyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2005 at 21:24

Well, here is a shocking idea . . . why not just ditch the whole "buy a browning scope" idea and buy a Bushnell since they are made by the same manufacturer.  Bushnell will not discontinue thier scopes in a few years - so you will have an intact warranty.  By the way, I am probably stating the obvious, but Bushnell Elite scopes are great.

WileyCat
TwoLaneBlackTop View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoLaneBlackTop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2005 at 21:35

For the price range of the browning scopes I would rather go for something in the Weaver Grand Slam line-up myself.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2005 at 05:59
WileyCat, the Elite 4200's are on the short list of the very best scopes out there today. Buy one, try one, and I'll thing you will agree. They are feature packed tough scopes at a bargain price.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2005 at 02:12
P.S. I believe the Elites are still covered by the 1 year " No questions asked refund ". That's pretty much what Bushnell is tellig you about the confidence in the Elites!!!
IKE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 04:45

Good Morning,

Being in the market for another rifle scope and considering the Browning / Bushnell Elite I ran across this old post Thurs., while surfing the internet, which inspired me to order two new matte Browming 3-9x40's yesterday from competitorss that are on closeout for $129.95 each + shipping....they came to $137.19 each with the shipping figured in.

I was just wondering, for those that have being using them since they came out, how satisfied you've been up till now with their quality and performance ?

Ike
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 06:49
I have a Browning 3-9x40 mounted on my TC Encore muzzleloader and it works just fine. It is surprisingly bright. It has the same adjustments as the 4200 and is very comfortable to look through. It allows a little more head movement behind the eyepiece without blinking out. The only thing I dont like about it is the plex crosshairs are just a little too thin for me, but they are the same as the ones in the 4200. I got mine last year off ebay for $129.00 also. For the price I think is a great scope.
Bippen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bippen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 06:29
Hi!

Im trying to find a Browning scope on closeout... any suggestions where to look?

Thanks!
IKE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 07:06
I sent you a PM.

Ike
Bippen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bippen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 10:47
I have a Winchester Model 70 with Leupold QR Weaver bases... Anyone know if I need medium or high rings for a browning 3-9x50??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic