OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Really really weird !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really really weird !!!!
    Posted: May/16/2006 at 11:25
Count every " F" in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI

FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

(SEE BELOW)

HOW MANY ?

WRONG, THERE ARE 6 -- no joke.

READ IT AGAIN !

Really, go Back and Try to find the 6 F's before you scroll down.

The reasoning behind is further down.

The brain cannot process "OF".

Incredible or what? Go back and look again!!

Anyone who counts all 6 "F's" on the first go is a genius.

Three is normal, four is quite rare.

Send this to your friends.

It will drive them crazy.!

And keep them occupied

For several minutes..!

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 11:51
  I failed that with flying colors..
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 12:20

Hmm...  I saw the six F's no problem, and as for the misspelled text, that's even easier.  My brother's spelling is far worse and I am used to editing his essays.

ILya

bill47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 14:29

6 = genious

4 = rare

3 = normal

0 = born in texas

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 14:31
Originally posted by bill47 bill47 wrote:

0 = born in texas

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 14:50

= Born in Texas !!!!!!   Born and raised!!!!!

Originally posted by bill47 bill47 wrote:

6 = genious

4 = rare

3 = normal

0 = born in texas <-----------------

That's a capital "T" too you !!!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 15:40

Never been to Texas for any length of time.

I heard Austin is a nice place though.  You think I should move?

ILya

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 15:51

I recommend you taking a trip to Austin and Dallas. If your ever make it to Austin, take a trip down to San Antonio to see the Alamo and a stroll down the River Walk or ride the river boat...

http://hotx.com/rb/ 

http://thesanantonioriverwalk.com/

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 17:35

I've been considering getting the heck out of California in a couple of years and I've been asking people about places that have good quality of life and reasonable real estate prices.  In Texas, Austin keeps coming up, partly because of better climate than the rest of Texas, if I understand this correctly.  Interestingly, North Carolina is also mentioned frequently.

ILya

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 17:35

I promised not to got back to San Antonio after boot!  If ever do get back down that way I do want to see Waco and the Texas Ranger Museum.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 18:29
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Interestingly, North Carolina is also mentioned frequently.

Oh Great!!!!

Now, along with countless thousands of illegal aliens, "The Dark Lord of Optics" is thinking of moving in my AO.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 19:01

Great, there goes the neighborhood.

Where in North Carolina are you?

Is that where you grew up? or did you end up there by choice?

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 19:11

Great, there goes the neighborhood.

Where in North Carolina are you?

Is that where you grew up? or did you end up there by choice?

ILya

Outside of Charlotte, koshkin.

Gastonia, specifically.

If your in a construction trade, its a cornucopia.

(I know your not a construction worker.)

I grew up in the Midwest and came here in the early 90's from E Tennessee.

Nice place to live, but I want to head back out West.

New Mexico maybe. Lived there for 5 years.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 19:19

My brother lives in Albuquerque.  A very fast growing city and great if you like the outdoors.

I guess I'll have to wait until you move out of North Carolina before going over there 

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 19:47

I guess I'll have to wait until you move out of North Carolina before going over there 

Heck no, come on over!! 

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 08:00

Koshkin,

ANYWHERE, outside of California is better than where you are now, Maybe north of the Napa Valley there might be a small section of California that still could be considered normal. I live 43 miles from work and can be there in under 40 mins. Y'all can't do that anywhere in the San Fernando or the San Gabriel Valley. We've discussed this before, you really need to move before the real Dark Lords (aka Dianne Feinstein,Barbara Boxer) and thier minions find you. Man, thats just to horrible to imagine.  

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 08:19

Cheaptrick,Silver and Steelbenz..

When are ya'll going to take the test and let us know how smart ya'll are! 

I failed, I only found 3, but would love to see how well ya'll did..

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 11:59

Steelbenz, I hear what you are saying and in a couple of years when both my wife and I are done with school I'll have to think about it long and hard.  Anywhere might not work because of job opportunities, but there are a few places out there that look promising.  The tough part is that I have friends, family and 15 years of history here in SoCal.  However, the way it is going I need to make sure I get the heck out before they declare Spanish as the official language and make English illegal (except for Ebonics of course).

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by Stephanie Stephanie wrote:

Cheaptrick,Silver and Steelbenz..

When are ya'll going to take the test and let us know how smart ya'll are! 

I failed, I only found 3, but would love to see how well ya'll did..

Bro, I only got 2!!!!

Where you been hiding Steel??

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 23:44

As you approach the grocery check out line, you look up to see two lanes,- one regular and the express lane with a big sign Express 10 items or less. A quick cursory glance at the cart shows at least 21 items. But wait the secret is in the checkers. Could chance favor the prepared mind? The express lane checker looks like a set theorist and if chance is in our favor will group the 10 ears of corn, hot dogs and buns, and beer as a set each and our total count will still be the magic 10 items. Therefore the union of sets will include 2 vegetable subsets (asparagus), the beer another set of drinks although packaged separately – Hmm wonder if individual wrapping counts? If so she will put them in a union of sets and I’ll be be over. Wait the reg. checker has a tattoo, likes detail, probably a specific number counter. Sees the number line as discrete intervals. Has no idea the only numbers that exist are primes and bases. Hurry the guy with the Heineken is going for the express got to beat him.

Both this and Chris’s example are an example of counting and pouring problems types Discrete Mathematicians deal with. Both deal with different ways people were taught to count, not particularly the perception of the problem. People counting 3 f’s included more articles than those who got 4 or more.

Here is pouring problem, the same thing without the additional visual clues.

At the end of a tough day of horseback riding, needing exactly one cup of water to make crepe suzettes, the cowboys have only a  3 cup and 5 cup measure. The nearby stream has plenty of water, but how can you measure just one cup? Remember that the only legal move is to fill or empty a container.

That ones pretty easy

Move up the difficulty scale with counting and logic still no visual clues, and include symmetric propositional logic:

A tourist in a land where some people always tell the truth and the rest always lie wants to ask directions of a native. He needs first to see whether the fellow is a truth-teller. What one yes or no question can he ask the native to determine his truth-value?

Still pretty easy.

Now move to set closures like the second example and read what the head of the Harvard psychology depart has to say.

“Drawing from Gestalt for slightly different perspective, the issue is whether visual mental images rely on depictive representations (which are in turn interpreted by other processes) or whether they are purely prepositional representations. (Kossyln). The two kinds of representations are very different. When a depictive representation is used not only is the shape of the representational parts immediately available to process, but so is the shape of the empty space. Depictive representations specify also size and orientation and do not represent predicates explicitly but instead the relations between the arguments emerges from the spatial positions of the depicted object and parts. Propositions (and their predicates) can define without orientation and size. Thus closures and THEIR RATE OF CLOSURE work to create the things humans call patterns (all animals).”

(sounds more complicated than the problems)

Introduced into this very complicated problem is "phenomenology". Fractals which are not actual pictures but a 180 degree rotation slice of a Poincare map represent two sets of information.  One being depictive the other prepositional. The predicates to the depictive fractal (fractals in general) has "false arguments" thus the brain is tricked into thinking pattern. Because a depictive event resembles a repeated event, and fractals are repeated events, fractals are depictive, but the event may not be fractal. This phenomenology or "emotional content" is present in Crop Pictures, and my favorite Escher prints. At the very basis of this when the brain decided (catch on) it has enough information to act by drawing a conclusion or painting a pattern (go one way or the other, this pattern or that, depictive or descriptive) would be a significant clue to Cognition. Obviously at some point in this process the brain "fills in" and connects the dots. (The punch line of a joke is the auditory analog or the sound of a broken stick, looks like a duck, sounds like a duck).

If you’re interested in this area of cognitive mapping, look thru the book “Dynamic Patterns” by Scott Kelso a researcher in this field.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic