OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR OPTICS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR OPTICS
    Posted: May/16/2006 at 08:16
I'M NEW TO FORUM, INJOY READING WHAT YA'LL TALK ABOUT. I NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE. I NEED A SCOPE FOR MY 700P CHAM. IN 308. IT HAS GOT TO BE DEPENDABLE WHEN I CHANGE ZEROS FROM SAY 100METERS TO 800, AND COME BACK TO MY ZERO. IS IOR IN 4.5X14X50 OR 6X22X50 GOING TO DO THE TRICK IF NOT PLEASE REPLY. I HAVE ABOUT 1000.00 TO 1200.00 TO SPEND ON ONE THANKS.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2006 at 21:52

Hi,  I looked into IORs for a Savage 10FP LE2B and even a Rem Sendero in 7mm.  In my research, IORs got pretty good marks.  Not the creme de la creme, but right up there.  I read some users comments and came across some issues with them chambered on heavy mangnum calibers, but that isn't uncommon across all brands to a greater or lessor degree.  The 308 probably wouldn't fit into this class of caliber, so a bit better for you.

Zeiss helped modernize/retool the IOR plant some years back and they also lent them some proprietary lens coating and as you know, they get their glass from Schott Glasswerks, which is evidently a nice glass maker.

Anyhow, I found some decent prices on the 4-14x50 30mm IR MP8 (849) and their 6-24x50 IR 35mm w/rings (1049) and would have pulled the trigger at the time on at least one, but I ended up going a bit cheaper route in a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 and a NOS B&L Elite 4200 4-16x50 AO and can't complain.

The one big knock on the IORs is the Customer Service here in the States, as it's made in Romainia and I don't think they have the support structure like other brands do, here in America.

I would love to try the 6-24x50 35mm out though.

Take care and keep us posted, Chris

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 14:27
Originally posted by ChrisGarrett ChrisGarrett wrote:

The one big knock on the IORs is the Customer Service here in the States, as it's made in Romainia and I don't think they have the support structure like other brands do, here in America.

Right on.

But, IOR is working on that.

Everybody on here knows I'm not a big IOR fan, but I'll give the devil (Val) , his due.

He's trying to rectify the CS issues that have plagued IOR for the past few years.

It's a work in progress, I'll put it that way.

And yes, I have dealt personally with Val (The US importer) on an issue I had with an IOR scope.

If you decide on getting an IOR....

BE ADVISED!!!!!

You really need to get it through SWFA, because if by chance you have a problem, SWFA will get you squared away.

No way would I buy one online somewhere from some Mom and POP optics shop or EBAY.

My.02......

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 18:29

Val has gotten better lately, and their current lin-up is very well regarded, especially the 35m tube scopes.

Cheaptrick is right (for once), get it from a retailer who will support you.

ILya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 18:34
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Cheaptrick is right (for once), get it from a retailer who will support you.

That was the best post about IOR and Val I've written in a LONG time.

I hope they turn it around.

They have the glass, that's for sure.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2006 at 20:57

Hello,  well, there are two sides to the coin.  As somebody who's been into 'big ticket' hifi gear for the past 8 years, I can tell you that I've gone the Internet Retailer route and saved vs. going with Dealers.  Should your dealer be local and the piece craps out on you, might be able to get a loaner, but you'll be paying close to retail for that item.  If you get the typical 20-30% off the net, you'll have to box it up yourself and send it to the factory, or authorized repair center, which the dealer will just do anyway.

I know a woman who has a 6 figure stereo and only goes through dealers, but pays retail.  She gets curb to curb service and plenty of handholding for her extra $30k and loaners whenever the stuff dies on her.  I guess it's ultimately up to each person?

Personally, saving a few hundred bucks, but maybe having to box up a scope and send it off myself if it dies,  is the way I go.  Obviously, there are other IOR dealers out there selling scopes and I don't mean to suggest that somebody buy one from a fellow standing on the street corner wearing a trenchcoat.

Take care, Chris

longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2006 at 15:46
thanks for info. ended up get ior 6x24x50 with 35mm tube love it so for. the mp8 is bad ass. it don't even cover up 5 rounds at 100 yards. it don't even cover a dogs head at 722 yards. no,no, did not take the dog out. but love the scope. now in low light that very small dot is hard to find, and the lighted rat. is bright even on low beam. i don't thank that is going to be a problem.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2006 at 15:53
oh yah, got scope and badger one piece base with + 20 moa for 1200.00 bucks from customgun shop in arer that is ior dealer. he tells me service is not a problem.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2006 at 13:37
Hey Trick you need to take this to Iraq with you. I know you will stay back 1000 yards......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic