OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

pentax gameseeker 2--china?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pentax gameseeker 2--china?
    Posted: July/08/2013 at 12:31
http://swfa.com/Pentax-2-7x32-Gameseeker-II-Rifle-Scope-P48567.aspx

this is sort of an interesting scope. i have heard it is supposed to compare with various nikons on the lower side of their price scale???

i think these are made in china--???

if they are comparable to nikons pro-staffs they might be worth a look.

one of my low budget pals is thinking of putting one on a 30-30

anybody have or try out one of these?

we don't hear much on the "lower budget' gear lately.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2013 at 16:15
Probably would be ok on the double 30. Never had one personally, but a friend loves Pentax stuff. I'll see if he has that scope and report back on his opinion (if he has it)!!!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
dstaffk5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstaffk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 11:46
If you go Pentax, stay away from gameseeker.  Go Lightseeker.  They are the same as a Burris Black Diamond.  Burris and Pentax are affiliated.  I had problems with 2 gameseekers.  I sold them off and went a different route. 
"If it aint broke dont fix it...unless you are upgrading your scope"
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 09:31
that what i been hearing about the pentax line of scope --that the older ones were far better.

the newer gameseekers are full of cost cutting/cheap scopes.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 10:10
i had a gameseeker for a couple days on a 44 mag marlin, 2 shots and it was dead. i have the weaver 1-3 on it now, and it has taken a beating. and i have the weaver 2-7 on a 45-70 marlin, with no issues. the only issue with weaver is the customer service.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 10:13
I agree that the older Gameseekers were pretty nice scopes.  I've not used one of the newer ones, did pick up and play with one and it had some decent glass and adjustments seemed OK, but have heard many tales of woe.  Don't know that I would want one of the newer ones...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
opticalillusion View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticalillusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 14:15
The old Gamerseeker's had great glass for the class of scope. I had one on my son's 30-30 for several years (until he was 17) and it held zero on many hunts, rifle drops, and shots. I have since bought him a Leupold VX-II and sold the Gameseeker.
I have looked through the old "seeker" and compared them to the Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Trophy, and several other scopes in the class and the old "seeker" had better glass. The only thing really negative about them is the eye relief which is 3". Also, stay away from the BDC type reticle (hard to see in low light, trust me) and get what Pentax calls the Penta-Plex.

My nephew (a local police officer) has a few Gameseeker II's (new in the box) as swears they are the same as the old "seeker" he has mounted on his 30-30, 243, and 223 rifles. Although the glass appears to equivalent, the adjustments do not seem to be as good. But, that could be me. Why he uses the Gameseeker when he has a few Leupold Vari-X III's and a Zeiss Conquest that would serve him better is beyond my comprehension.

The good news is that you can still get your hands on the old Gameseeker's when browsing some well known bidding site's. Gameseeker's will display the model across the bell so make sure you pay attention to that.

Since I've sighted several of these models in for several people to include the one I owned and brother-in-laws, I should tell you that the adjustments aren't the greatest as the cross hairs do not always move 1/4 inch per click. Sometimes more and sometimes less. After making an adjustment, tap the scope a few times to help them reposition and then take the shot. An Army Sniper told me about that trick and it has helped speed up the process when I sight in rifles that have scopes with similar adjustment issues.

Summary, the old Gameseeker is a very nice scope for the money. But, that is only my opinion.

JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 14:39
wern't the old gameseekers made by burris or bushnell ?

i have heard that the older ones were good scope but the newer ones like the gameseeker 3s are problematic--

seems like i did look through one of the old ones --been so long thought i can't recall how clear the glass was on it.
opticalillusion View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticalillusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2013 at 15:05
The Gameseeker models are not made by Burris. But, the Pioneer's (Burris Fullfield equivalent) and Lightseeker's (higher-end burris equivalent) are.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic