OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Will this scope hold up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Labman2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will this scope hold up?
    Posted: July/05/2013 at 17:37
Hello all, new here.. I have a ruger redhawk .44 mag with 7.5" barrel and am trying to scope it preferably with a quality used scope...to save a little $. I dont shoot alot, but want it scoped. I have the chance to purchase a Thompson center arms 3RP fixed 3x20 scope. The power seems fine for all the uses need. My question is, Does anyone have any knowledge of this scope and its quality. I cannot find much info online about this scope....is it a quality scope? Will it hold up to the .44. Mag? Any help will be apreciated.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2013 at 18:00
Welcome to OT.

1) You didn't tell us what your "uses" are,
2) what is your MAX budget?
3) what are you paying for the Thompson 3RP?

Check SWFA's Samplelist...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Labman2000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Labman2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2013 at 18:11
My main uses are backyard target. Possibly deer hunting, and pig hunting from a box stand.
My budget, was wanting to stay around $300 if having to buy new, but to for as little use as this will get. This scope i am looking at is in like new condition, from a very good friend. For $20.00 i have already bought the scope due to price, but dont want to waste my time putting it on the .44 if it dont stand a chance of being able to stay on it for years to come.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2013 at 18:41
Yes, welcome.

May I ask how far you anticipate shooting a deer from a stand?
I've never hunted with a handgun before. If the distance isn't too far, would you consider a red dot sight?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Labman2000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Labman2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2013 at 18:45
Possibly 30-40 yards at deer and or pigs... Im wondering about the quality of the scope i may mount... The thompson center arms scope and its durabilty, to hold up to a .44 mag. Does anyone have any experience with them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic