OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Magnifiers for dot sights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnifiers for dot sights
    Posted: July/04/2013 at 21:31
I just set up a Colt's LE 6900 lightweight carbine as a general purpose utility/car gun with an Aimpoint PRO.  I'm considering adding a magnifier in a flip to side mount.  It's primarily for sporting use and varmints of opportunity and will see most use on the range from 25 to 200 yards.  I'd appreciate input and observations from those of you who have used these setups relative to utility and optical quality within 300 yards.  Options that come to mind are Aimpoint, Burris, Eotech and Vortex 3x units.  Is there justification to spend up to Aimpoint and Eotech or are optical and functional quality comparable for the lower priced units for sporting use by someone who is not hard on equipment?   
TominCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2013 at 17:05
I had the older 3X behind my EoTech on a flip to side mount - It worked but the optics were not real great and the dot was a little blurry (since its really several dots when magnified) About a year ago I bought a cheap $99 3X on the internet - It had terrible ergonomics (design of the flip to side mount) and it probably would not hold up nearly as well as the EoTech - but the optics were about the same -

As a comparison I have an ACOG and the optics are light years ahead of the first model 3X EoTech. The new one (EoTech 3X) may be better and perhaps there are some engineering challenges to designing a magnifier - but the visual quality was only so-so.

In use it is more valuable as a tool for target identification and will improve accuracy somewhat for shots between 100 and 200 yards. At 300 yards it would not be real helpful. A variable scope would, in my opinion, work much better.

The flip to side mount is great!
Tom in CA
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2013 at 01:18
I ended up buying a demo Vortex 3x from the SWFA Sample List that looked new.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the optical quality, it is easy to focus and was easy to center on my Aimpoint PRO.  It is effective at least out to 200 yards which is as far as I've shot it so far.  It will see limited use but will be in the rifle case when I want magnification.  I specifically wanted one of my SPRs set up with a dot sight as the primary optic and knew that 3x magnification behind a 2 MOA dot would not provide the same level of precision as the scope I used to test accuracy of the rifle.  For roughly 1/3 the price of a new EoTech I'm more than happy with the results.  I appreciate your response.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Postsonpercocet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postsonpercocet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2013 at 19:03
Primary Arms makes one that everyone raves about that I talk to.  They have a couple different models too.  3x -$69 I think.  3x extended eye relief, and a 6x.

I'm going to give the 6x a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic