OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Darn It Guys...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darn It Guys...
    Posted: July/04/2013 at 06:05
I have a Savage Hog Hunter in .338 Win Mag with an M-41 Precision Armaments muzzle brake. 

I just broke down and ordered the SS 3-9 Tactical scope for it.

Replacing the Weaver GS 3-10.  I could not resist the value and quality of the SS.

It will be nice as I can make the W and E adjustments easily now.

Pics when I get her mounted in the TPS rings.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 06:16
Good stuff. I love my SS 3-9x. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 10:06
Almost got a Savege Hog Hunter... how do you like it.  I heard some stories of dissatisfaction and ended up getting a different rifle... actually a few different rifles...,  but how is it?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 10:11
I love the 11/111 Hog Hunter.  Why are some not happy with it??

It does not have the accustock and has a blind mag.  Is that it?  I have to say it is very accurate and the accutrigger is great.

For the money it is a serious and hard hitting weapon.  

I was so happy with it that I just bought a Savage 10 TR and it is a super tactical rifle.  

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 10:38
Savage 10 TR in .308, Bomb Guy? 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 10:43
I still may get one.  The thread I saw had some issues with quality... little things that didn't work right.  One thread on OT, the guy said he took it out of the box and it was rusted and Savage would not take care of it... told him it was not rust.  He posted pictures and it was clearly rust.  Some of the others were things like mismatched screws, etc.  Nothing too serious, just lack of QC.  I really don't like having to do a lot of things to a rifle I paid for.  

Edited by Kickboxer - July/04/2013 at 11:04

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 11:32
Ive been looking real hard at the stainless model in .375 Ruger I just love the way it feels for me it comes immediately onto target with open sights.  Ive watched two come and go at Sportsmans here and I really want one but right now Im chipping away at a Marlin 45-70 when I get that paid off I will probably go for one. The only thing that has stopped me so far was limited brass availability and the fact that I have  375 H&H Ammo that would not fit it. The Alaskan stainless model looks to me like a winner I would probably already have one if one showed up in the  .338 WM but so far the only ones Ive seen were the  375 Ruger which is still a very nice choice for a thumper carry gun.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 11:51
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Ive been looking real hard at the stainless model in .375 Ruger I just love the way it feels for me it comes immediately onto target with open sights.  Ive watched two come and go at Sportsmans here and I really want one but right now Im chipping away at a Marlin 45-70 when I get that paid off I will probably go for one. The only thing that has stopped me so far was limited brass availability and the fact that I have  375 H&H Ammo that would not fit it. The Alaskan stainless model looks to me like a winner I would probably already have one if one showed up in the  .338 WM but so far the only ones Ive seen were the  375 Ruger which is still a very nice choice for a thumper carry gun.

I'll buy the ammo...

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 14:38
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I still may get one.  The thread I saw had some issues with quality... little things that didn't work right.  One thread on OT, the guy said he took it out of the box and it was rusted and Savage would not take care of it... told him it was not rust.  He posted pictures and it was clearly rust.  Some of the others were things like mismatched screws, etc.  Nothing too serious, just lack of QC.  I really don't like having to do a lot of things to a rifle I paid for.  

yes..in .308

Niccolo Machiavelli
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Savage 10 TR in .308, Bomb Guy? 

yes in .308

Niccolo Machiavelli
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 14:40

Niccolo Machiavelli
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 20:36
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I'll buy the ammo...
That could work. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2013 at 12:12
The bomb guy's TR 10 at the range.  Dialed in the Mark 4 today.  I did not take photos but I managed three hole group about 1/4 inch at 50 yds.  And I am not very steady.  But I am extremely happy with this Savage.

Niccolo Machiavelli
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2013 at 12:17
And unfortunately the SS 3-9 and 3-15 are backordered so I bought the Leupold Tactical VX-R 3-9 Patrol instead.  I think it will work on the .338 Win Mag Savage.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2013 at 12:41
Very nice. Eagle Stock Pack? 
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2013 at 17:58
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Very nice. Eagle Stock Pack? 

Hey cheaptrick..yep that is the Eagle Stock Pack.

I have just realized that they are hard to find lately.  I want one in OD and I found something that looks like the Eagle on a website that sells tactical stuff.  I know they don't like posting other businesses here so if you want to know where the place is shoot me an email at

druff52@yahoo.com

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic