OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New leather and wood for the ruger single action
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New leather and wood for the ruger single action

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New leather and wood for the ruger single action
    Posted: July/03/2013 at 13:03
I recently purchased this holster made by Mernickle Holsters for the single nine and can say I was happy I found them. Great product and the company has been around for awhileThunbs Up It is the crossdraw hunting model.
  The grips are my first pair of karl nill and can say they make me fricken happier than the leather...
I researched alot to find a manufacture that made an oversize handle for the single six frame. Not many out there that keep original shape of frame.  These did and I went with them Thunbs Up 

"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 13:11
Very nice Kev, I like cross draw for woods carry.
Doug
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 14:44
MI-T-FINE !!!Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 15:06
    Thanks Doug.  I figured in the sitting position while calling Wylie it would be the easiest to draw. 
 The fit and shape on the Nill grips are pretty impressive to say the least and the select walnut isn't too shabby either....
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 15:10
Thanks Bugs 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 15:13
Man, that's nice. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 15:17
I also like cross draw while hunting as i usually sling my rifle on my right shoulder and it hits the grip in my pistol. Cross draw fixes that issue for me

I really like your stock choice. It looks great
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 16:33
Very, very nice, Kevin! 

I recently bought a Single Nine myself, and I have something in the works on the grips too. I also polished the hell out of mine so it has a gloss nickel finish look to it like the stainless Vaqueros. When it's finished, I'll post pics.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 18:12
What do you think of the Ahrends grips now that you have the Nill?
Doug
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 18:34
Very nice!

Eagle
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2013 at 10:30
Thanks for reply's guys! Big Smile
Doug as far as the Ahrends grips go I still think they're a great grip especially for the S&W's 

Hi Ted, looking forward to seeing your single nine as well. I took some white scotch bright pad to the back strap and was surprised how easy the scratches cleaned up.  Is this a way I can put shine on metal with hand rubbing or does it take using a mechanical wheel for polishing? The reason I asked because I have a Wolfe spring kit that I will be installing and have to break down pistol. 
                                                                                                                             Thanks 
                                                                                                                                      Kevin
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2013 at 13:01
I polished mine to a mirror finish by doing the following:

1. Polish all parts with Scotch Brite pad.
2. Polish with a cotton polishing wheel
3. Rub everything down with Flitz metal polish, then wipe clean with cotton t-shirt material.
4. Repeat step 3 until you get the level of polish you're looking for.

Flitz really does an excellent job, bringing the surface to a mirror finish. If you polish with it long enough, it removes virtually all polishing scratches from previous steps.

You can actually omit step 2 and go directly to Flitz after Scotch Brite if you don't have access to a cotton wheel; the cotton wheel just evens out the "lay" of the tiny polishing marks from the Scotch Brite so you have less work to do with the Flitz polish.

It's really pretty easy; it just takes a little time. It probably took me 5 - 6 hours of total polish time to get mine to the point I was satisfied with the look.

Let me know what you think of the Wolfe spring kit.

I've thought about putting a Bisley style hammer on mine as well, but the replacement hammer has been out of stock and backordered for so long I've basically given up on that idea for now.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2013 at 08:48
Thanks Ted   I appreciate your directions.....
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2013 at 10:38
Man, that is awesome ! That is about as good as it get's in my opinion !! Excellent

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2013 at 01:39
The Wolfe spring kits work great.  Just don't go too light.

The single-action mechanism of these Ruger .22s provides a considerable hammer impact.  This means that a skilled gunsmith can set up a beautifully smooth trigger pull for you, while maintaining the necessary impact to reliably fire rimfire ammunition.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic