OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmac36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best gun
    Posted: July/01/2013 at 14:05
hey guys im at a loose end,i cant win this debate because I outnumbered. I hey a cz 222 and my shooting buds reckon I at the low end of the market compared wiv the ruger 204, rem 223, and sako 22-250, is this the case of the genral public? I can still group 6"at 230yrds, my buds can only manage 10" groups, surely they talking   rubbish?
long runs the wolf...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2013 at 15:34
Ballistic performance wise, your buddies are right for the most part, but if you can hold 6" groups to their 10" groups and have the power in your cartridge to get the job done, then what difference does it make. A hit with enough power is better than a miss with more power.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2013 at 20:24
Originally posted by pmac36 pmac36 wrote:

I can still group 6"at 230yrds, my buds can only manage 10" groups, surely they talking   rubbish?

If those groups are all you and your friends can manage, then everyone is shooting rubbish.

A good rifle should be capable of one minute of angle (MOA) with ammo it likes (which can take a while to determine, for some rifles). One MOA, or 1" at 100 yards, is often thought as a minimum standard when discussing accuracy of centerfire rifles. This means that if you and your friends think that you are shooting really accurately, then you should be shooting 2.3" groups at 230 yards *at minimum*. If one is bragging about 6" groups at 230 yards, then you have a lot of improvement to go......
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2013 at 20:56
Depends on how those groups are shot. Are they ptone, bench, standing? No matter which, 6 is better than 10 in this case.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2013 at 23:52
Well time to trade up.  Buy a Savage in 6.5 creedmore and put a 16x42 Super Sniper on it and tell them to kiss off.
Devil
The 222 is a nice little cartridge for a lot of things so is .223 the .204 Ruger and the  22-250 are in an entirely different class they are a lot faster so trajectory is flatter.  Still a .223 can have a fast twist like  1 in 7 or 1 in 8 which allows it to shoot heavy 77 and 80 gr bullets which do better at long range. The .204 is a favorite of prairie dog hunters due to low recoil and powder charges that dont over heat the barrel with continuous use.   When you want to get out past 300 yds though you need to look at the 6.5mm cartridges and the .30 cal cartridges of which I prefer 300 WSM but heavy bullts do better in the wind at long range than light ones.  You could ask to try the .204 and  22-250 and see how your groups are with those.  6 inch groups at under 300 yds are not bad if they are off hand but if that is with a rest you need to go back and study basics breathing, trigger control etc.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2013 at 00:08
Originally posted by PhilR. PhilR. wrote:

Originally posted by pmac36 pmac36 wrote:

I can still group 6"at 230yrds, my buds can only manage 10" groups, surely they talking   rubbish?

If those groups are all you and your friends can manage, then everyone is shooting rubbish.

A good rifle should be capable of one minute of angle (MOA) with ammo it likes (which can take a while to determine, for some rifles). One MOA, or 1" at 100 yards, is often thought as a minimum standard when discussing accuracy of centerfire rifles. This means that if you and your friends think that you are shooting really accurately, then you should be shooting 2.3" groups at 230 yards *at minimum*. If one is bragging about 6" groups at 230 yards, then you have a lot of improvement to go......

Good grief and this helps the original poster how?
pmac36 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmac36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2013 at 15:55
cheers u guys for the most part, but philr take it easy man I should of made it clear that we were standing!!! I think my gun and i are doing just fine. Foxes are the largest prey we shoot, and the average distance is about 150-200yrds so yea i take comfort with your comments. (except u philr, jumping the gun like that)          
long runs the wolf...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2013 at 22:34
pmac36  the best gun is the gun you are comfortable with the one you practice with and like.  What everyone else thinks  -- who cares.   Years a go a bunch of guys went and hunted Africa together one was an old farmer who took a beat up old 30-06 that he carried on his tractor and he killed more game with it than the rest of the group combined because he knew where the bullet would hit he knew his rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2013 at 14:59
Pmac, your triple deuce is just the ticket for fox hunting. Its only downside is the relative lack of brass due to the fact it's overshadowed by the .223.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2013 at 23:38
Years ago, .222's were used in lots of matches before the 6mm PPC and 6.5's and so forth took over. I prefer the .204 Ruger as a varmint round, nothing at all wrong the .222 though.
pmac36 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmac36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2013 at 15:58
cheers u guys but am right in saying the 222 still holds bench records against the 204 and 223? surely such a feat cant be brushed under the carpet. ok the 222 might have "two many birthday candles on the cake" but I like to compare the 222 to tom jones, if yer still firing at 80 u a legend!!!!!!!
long runs the wolf...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2013 at 19:30
The .222 was dominant in benchrest competition for many years... until the .22 PPC and 6 PPC was introduced.

Although the .204 and .223 are inherently precise cartridges in their own right, they were never used in BR competition like the .222.

It is a very fine round, with fantastic accuracy. There really is no downside to it other than the fact the .223 took away much of its popularity due to military adoption of the 5.56, which meant lots of readily available, relatively inexpensive brass.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pmac36 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmac36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 07:09
cheers rifledude I did not know that. just cleaning the "pride and joy" at minute, wat a simple cost effective weapon. thanks again u guys, nice to hear proper feedback from men/women who actually know wat they talking about.....
long runs the wolf...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic