OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for ruger mk77 compact .243win

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwaterdogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for ruger mk77 compact .243win
    Posted: July/02/2004 at 22:26

All,

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a scope in the 100 to $150 range to go on a compact ruger (16.5" barrel) in .243.  I've bought the rifle primarily for my son to hunt whitetail, but will also use it myself(perhaps for deer as well, but for varmints and coyotes).

I've found a nikon for aobut $150, but have also looked thru $70 simmons, and I can't really tell the difference, but that is in the store, not in low light conditions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks!

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2004 at 01:29

Save an extra $30 and buy the kid a Burris Fullfield II or a Bushnell Elite 3200.  Either of these scopes in 3-9x40 will last him a lifetime and work in just about any hunting environment.  In my opinion, quality scopes start at about $180 for a variable power.  You can ge a fixed 4 or 6x for less, but they do not offer the versatility of the variables.

ranburr

leathernk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leathernk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2004 at 01:58

I have looked through the Nikon Pro Staff in 3x9.  That would be a nice scope also.  Gonna buy one for my dad for his .308 compact Winchester light wieght 70.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2004 at 17:55

i would get that burris FF2 with the ballistic plex, and the free spotter for $197, or sumthin liek that, its a heck of a deal. just my opinion, and its worth exactly what you paid for it.

cory

2ndtimer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2004 at 11:27

redneckbmxer24 wrote:

i would get that burris FF2 with the ballistic plex, and the free spotter for $197, or sumthin liek that, its a heck of a deal. just my opinion, and its worth exactly what you paid for it.

cory

That's why I bought one, too.  Can't be beat for price, value, and quality.  The problem with $70 scopes is that they look fine in the store, but once you get them mounted and start using them, you realize there is a difference and it is too late.  i.e. won't hold zero, won't consistently adjust properly, can't be adjusted to zero on your rifle, reticle breaks,  etc.  Why take a chance?  A lot of knowledgeable hunters and shooters claim you are better off with a $100 gun with a $1000 scope than the other way around.  Of course most of us can't afford either one, but when it comes to scopes, it is good advice to buy the best you can afford. even if it means saving for awhile to get at least a weaver, burris, nikon or leupold.   (I have no personal experience with the new bushnell elites, though I hear they should also be considered)

Edited by 2ndtimer
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 12:24

"$100-$150 on a 16.5" .243"

Simmons WhiteTail Expedition 3-9x42.....$119.95 (closeout priced)

Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44.....$129.95

Bushnell Legend 3-9x50.....$136.95

Nikon Buckmaster 4x40.....$159.99

Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33.....$179.99 (close to your budget and really nice on compact rifles)

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 w/ FREE 20x50 Spotter......$197.95  (think of it as a $150. scope and a $47.95 spotter that way it qualifies)

Edited by Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic