OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - anyone have experience with Burris Fulfied scopes?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

anyone have experience with Burris Fulfied scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone have experience with Burris Fulfied scopes?
    Posted: June/28/2013 at 14:33
my dad has an old Browning 243 im wanting to fix up with a new scope...maybe use it as a woods gun and put a decent but not overly high priced scope on it.....was looking at the Burris Fulfield ii in a 3-9x40 or 3-9x50....they seem to get mostly solid reviews and can be bought at a great price.....just wondering anyones thoughts on these and also would u choose the ballistic plex or regular plex..thanks guys
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2013 at 15:06
There are a lot of guys who just love the Burris Fulfield II scopes.  Having said that I have had horid luck with all things made by Burris with the exception of a 1x scope they no longer make. Personally I would pick the Redfield or a Bushnell or a Weaver even a Nikon in the same price range.   In general I like balistic reticles but they are only useful at max power unless a scope is first focal plane.  When I think of a "Woods Gun"  I am thinking lower power like a 1.5-6 or a 2-7  or a fixed 4x which is a tough scope.
IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope 4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
Stock # - 403240
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$359.95 

Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster Riflescope BDC Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster Riflescope
Stock # - NIK6421
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Discontinued, Closeout price
$179.95 
Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849400
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$169.95   
Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849405
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$179.95  
Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope
Stock # - RED67080
  • Matte
  • 4-Plex
  • 1"
$179.95 
Bushnell 1.5-6x44 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope Bushnell 1.5-6x44 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUS731646E
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 30mm
$132.95 
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE3940
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • RainGuard® HD
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
$279.00 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2013 at 15:17
Generally, the Burris FFII scopes are ok. Urimaginaryfrnd listed several other good choices. For a "woods gun", I'd get a regular plex or a #4 reticle of some sort. The fixed power IOR mentioned above would be great.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 17:26
are the fulfield 2 still made in the usa?   ive seensome older ones that were made in the usa sell on fleabay. was wondering if they still make em here or is china crap?
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 18:29
they are not made in the usa
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 18:32
so if i was to find a deal on an older one that was made in USA any idea if those r optically better?
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 18:45
I dont have a clue if they are better optically. I know i replaced my burris because i felt that it wasnt as good as it used to be and have compared it to an old simmons that i have and the simmons is brighter. Its been a tough scope, it sat on my 300 win mag for about 4 years until i upgraded to a zeiss. If i were to do it again i would buy one without the ballistic plex. 
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 18:48
yea i just realized kahles made a 2-7x36. i may look around a bit and try to find a deal on a used one. not in any rush.     
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 20:28

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 20:32
that minox is a heck of a deal
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 20:53
Heck of a nice scope for that price very nice glass.  I have one.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2013 at 20:58
i may end up getting that one .........id say its between that one and a 3-9 meopta....and i found a place that has the Burris 2-7 with the #4 reticle for $189...so im trying to decide which to go with
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2013 at 00:46
The Burris is currently made in the Philippines. I have only owned one FFII scope and I did not like it. I no longer have it. Up against a Kahles, there is no contest. Kahles is a terrific, high performance, high quality scope.
CDR3
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2013 at 01:29
I have several Burris Fullfield II scopes, and like them.  They are an excellent buy in the lower price range.  When they came out, they forced Leupold (and possibly some other companies) to improve their game and upgrade their scopes.

I replaced an older model Leupold Vari-X III 2-7 with a Burris 3-9 Fullfield II.  The Burris was much brighter and offered almost as much field of view.

The ballistic reticle can be used or ignored.  I like a 200 yard zero for hunting, so pretty much ignore it.

On the best power range for a woods rifle, I tend to agree with Urimaginaryfrnd.  I like scopes that begin with 1.5.  I'm not sold on 2-7x scopes, even though I've owned some and looked through others.  They're not as good as the 3-9 for long range, and they don't give you the wide field of view that makes a 1.5-5 work so well at close range. Of course, this is just my opinion.  YMMV.

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2013 at 03:23
id really like to get my hands on the kahles if i can find a decent price on one
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2013 at 16:18
Plus 1 on the Minox for 329....bought one off the sample list a few weeks back for a 9.3x62, no complaints.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2013 at 20:44
I am one of the guys that love the Burris ffii, I have been using them for a bunch of years, and never had a problem yet!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2013 at 20:48
do u hav te 3-9 or the 2-7.     some r saying the 2-7 has poor eye relief
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2013 at 12:42
i have a old 3-9x 40mm .  i can't recall when i bought the thing. -- i think it was one of the last USA made ones.

it has been a great scope so far and has seen much use  and abuse.

the 2-7x FF2s were very popular , i suspect the old ones were very good.

now today who knows?? my FF2 is a decade or more old-- i have no experience with the new PI made ones. the newer ones are supposed to be improved --the e1s have etched glass and so on. they got rid of the entire bell adjusting the mag--

in a woods scope deep woods i like a 1-4x dangerous big game type of scope. there very popular with hog hunters and night time predator  hunters around these parts.

medium range woods the 2-7x looks good.

the best buys on the market these days all seem to be in the 3-9x -- the thing is the 3-9x is like a monkey   wrench --sort of a "one size fits all solution" it is good at range provided you got good glass.

it is a little big and clunky--  the 3x power is a little "limiting' at closer ranges, it is however a decent compromise for many hunters. i think they like to zoom in to 9x and count antlers.

i can't say i hit a bit better at hunting type ranges with a 9x over a 4x  i suppose if i was making 300M + shots them maybe most everything around here is under 200M and you mostly get moving shots @ around 80m or less .--

one i think you should consider is the vortex diamondback, i hear they have very good glass for the $$

there are plenty of scopes that will do fine on that set up--

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2013 at 12:50
thanks man. kinda looking at the zeiss terra 2-7 or meopro 3-9....i can get either at about the same price    the 3-9 would be a bit more versatile. just hoping the 3x isnt too much for the woods?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic