OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting scopes for Junior Smallbore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotting scopes for Junior Smallbore
    Posted: July/02/2004 at 11:50

Greetings all,

I run a junior smallbore shooting program at my gun club in Raleigh, NC, and we are in the process of upgrading our spotting scopes. We have 60 junior shooters in the program this year, and most of them shoot the 50 foot NRA 4-position qualification course.  I'm not terribly concerned about that setup, since we do have a few older 50mm Bushnell scopes, and some newer Burris landmark scopes that work fine for 50 feet.  We're planning on introducing the more advanced kids to prone competition, and we'll be purchasing several new scopes for 50 and 100 yard match shooting.  I'm having a tough time finding what we need, for a reasonably affordable price. Ideally, we'd like a 45 degree eyepiece, and as much eye relief as we can get (the kids all shoot with safety glasses or prescription eyeglasses).  Is there any way to get a 45 degree eyepiece and more than 12mm of eye relief in a $150 - $200 scope?

Thanks,

Lou

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2004 at 11:39

We can get pretty close.

magnified product

Leupold WindRiver Sequoia 15-45x60....$234.95

Angled view and it has an average of 14.5mm of eye relief.

Sequoia Spotting Scope Kit

It is also available in a Kit Form with a nice tripod and hard case for another $40.

luigi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2004 at 13:58

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply to my question, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to the forum.  I've been busy scoring a pile of junior targets!

Are you at all familiar with the scopes offered by Champion's Choice, under their own name brand?  I'm comparing this Leupold scope with their CC645, which is a 22x60mm scope, also with 45 degree eyepiece, selling for $230.

Naturally Leupold is a very good name, but I'm leery when they modify it with another name like "Wind River", which leads me to wonder whether it is a lower-quality line?  Do the Leupold Wind River products carry the same warranty as their riflescopes?  Can you comment on the overall quality of the Wind River line?

Thanks,

Lou

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2004 at 15:59

Lou,

Never heard of them.  I would steer clear of any off brands, at least we know Leupold will be around to warranty their goods.  They uses the Wind River name on everything they import as to not damage the Leupold name.  The quality of the spotter is the best you are going to get in that price range.  They would not be a top choice for bird watchers but for paper punchers they are above average.  They do have a lifetime warranty.

luigi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2004 at 13:04

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I will give the Leupold some serious consideration. Good to hear it's covered by Leupold's lifetime warranty, without that, I would have been somewhat concerned.

I'll be attending a highpower match this weekend, I will have to see if any other scopes are represented there.

Thanks,

Lou

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic