OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hard earned barrel lessons for cheap...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard earned barrel lessons for cheap...
    Posted: June/19/2013 at 07:52
All you need to do is read...

I have been shooting, plinking and firing up rifles for a good few years. At one stage hiiting the bull at 100 yds was a major event. Then I started reloading, fine tuning and doing everything I read about. And some more. Groups shrank a bit, the old flyer stayed around to spoil those clover leaf groups.
More tinkering, cleaning barrels, bedding, heavier barrels, better scopes and all that followed. The groups and accuracy stayed about the same. That did not put me off....new Rem Varmint rifle, more tinkering, new dies...man I was a gunshops dream.

Enter my first true cut-rifling, hand crafted accurate barrel. A whole new ball game.

Firstly this barrel cleans up with 5 patches. And I mean cleans up. Not a spot of carbon or copper remains.
Secondly, this rifle has no cold bore shot. From the first shot to the 30th, it puts it in a dime.
Thirdly, this rifle shoots with a clean barrel (all those stories of a barrel should not be cleaned to often or to well is busted.)
Fourthly, practising becomes so much more positive. If the shot is to the left, high or whatever, I look for the fault with myself. No more surprises, such as a shot felt good and when I get to the target it is in a different place to where I expected.
Lastly, I have not touched the zero on the rifle for months. It puts it there where I left off. Each click of the scope lands exactly where I expect.

So, my thoughts are that 99.99% of accuracy lies with the barrel. All the other stuff cannot overcome a crappy, poor or mediocre barrel.

On my hunting rig I load up, get three shots to within 2 inches at 200 yds and I go hunting. I used to load and shoot out a box of bullets trying for a clover leaf on my hunting rig. No more, I accept the limits of it.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 08:59
You are talking about your Moyet barrel righ?
Regards Chris
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 09:00
A good trigger is just as important to me as a good barrel.  Sounds like you've found something that works and gives you confidence.  
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 09:12
Glock yes, that is the Mojet barrel.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 09:48
I have noticed the cold bore thing as well.  My last .308 barrel was a Lilja which is button rifled, while that thing shot excellent the cold bore was always a touch high and left.  The clean cold bore was a bit more so in the same directions.

My Obermyer cut rifle seems to have no cold bore change.  I really like that as well.

They both cleaned super easy.  I shot my Lilja over 300 rounds without cleaning an noticed no accuracy drop.  My Obermyer I hit about 200 without cleaning and it was still very accurate as well. 

Maybe they would be better always clean, but I hate cleaning Bucky  and more barrels are ruined by cleaning that shooting so I don't put to much effort into it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 10:41
It sure is a good thing to have confidence in your set-up. Sounds like you are there. Congrats. Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 13:27
Sounds like Andre Moyet makes some good barrels Wouter, that freind of mine is extremely happy with his two. Both are very accurate.

Edited by Glock - June/19/2013 at 21:03
Regards Chris
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 16:34
8-shot, keep in mind you have already learned the reloading lessons and the basic marksmanship lessons.

Someone new to precision rifles might learn things in a different order.
But barrel is of paramount importance, as is load quality and marksmanship principles and trigger and breath control and natural point if aim and...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 17:54
...a good night's sleep. I always find I shoot better if I'm well-rested. But no doubt that a custom barrel is a whole other game.
Reaction time is a factor...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 02:46

I just wonder if I had started with a good barrel how different the learning curve may have been ????

My advice to anyone entering the high end of competive shooting is to make sure you start with a high end barrel. In my humble opinion factory barrels just will not do it.

I was advised for instance that my rifle stock is not good enough. (The Rem synthetic stock) I have not changed it, with mediocre barrels I was still getting that flyer etc. It would have been easy to blame the stock and buy a new upgraded stock..

With the current barrel and the old Rem stock I am doing quite OK. So I wonder how much swopping and changing we do for no result????
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 14:14
I could not agree with you more about barrel quality.

I have seen some superb button, hammer forged and cut barrels.  I think the method of making the barrel is less important than who is making it.

Then there are some barrels out there that are comparatively inexpensive and shoot well, but foul a fair bit, so they have to be cleaned more often.

My DTA barrel cleans up by means of a hard stare and a couple of patches.

My Savage shoots really well, but fouls quickly and took some serious effort to clean originally.  I treated the bore a bit, so it now cleans up better, but it is still not close to what a truly nice lapped barrel is.

I wonder though if we are heading toward a state where a cleverly treated inexpensive barrels are as good as truly custom ones.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2013 at 07:08
Dyna bore coat is the ticket
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic