OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TS500 Kowa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TS500 Kowa
    Posted: May/09/2006 at 21:05

Has anyone have any advice on the TS500 Kowa? 

I’d like to get something that’s small and light a try.  I’ve gone through a couple of scopes that I shook what was left of them out of my pack.  By no means was it the fault of the scopes.  I’m just a little tough on equipment.  So I not interested in spending a dump-truck load of money.  I need to get into the 30 to 40 power range in medium light conditions, with good to better clarity. 

Last fall I grabbed a 15-45x60 Wind River Sequoia on the way to hunting camp.  If it was heavier and had a good place to tie rope, it would make a good boat anchor.  But other than that, it was useless. 

I’ve learned my lesson on impulse buying.  Your help and opinions would be appreciated.

SCOOP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2006 at 16:01

I can say this.Kowa is a respectable lens maker from japan.They have been making optical glass and camera's  since the early 20 th century.they supply glass to many optic companys and camera companys.

Barr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2006 at 18:32

I appreciate the background.  I was just in hopes that I could find out how they have been holding up.  I’m leaning back to the Bushnell’s again or give the Burris a try.  I’m just afraid that compacts are out.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2006 at 16:51

My buddy loves Kowa.

He's an accomplished BR shooter that has owned most all the big name brands, including Swaro and Leica.

"For the money" he chose Kowa.

He claims they are almost as good as the Euros and a lot cheaper.

Regards and welcome to The OT!!!!!!!

cheaptrick.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Barr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2006 at 21:05

Because of the feedback I’m growing more interested in the Kowa all the time.  I’m sending the Sequoia back to Leupold to see what they can do or should I say are willing to do for me.  I haven’t got any great expectations.  I just ordered a Zeiss Conquest in a protest to Leupold, that and I feel that the Zeiss gives more bang for my pitiful income.  

Well, thank you folks for your opinions and I’ll let you know what happens with Leupold.

Barr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 09:52

I just got back the spotter from Leupold and it really out performs that five year old 15-45 X 60 Bushnell’s.  Of course the Bushnell has a chip out of the lens the size of a dime and you have to focus it with pliers.  Even then I used them instead of the Windriver last year.  I was embarrassed to show my clients, critters through the new scope.  This morning we compared the Windriver with a friend’s 15-45X60 Nikon S&E and there wasn’t any discernable differences in our application of watching some muleys and a gaggle of elk.  They both fuzzy-out a bit at 45 power, but at 30, both had equivalent clarity in the center (90%) FOV, as far as we could tell.  I’m going to keep the Leupold, which is different than I had planned.  The performance between this scope and the last one is a 100% better.  This scope meets my expectations and makes me feel like I made a good purchase.  May be another reason I’m keeping them is; if/or when they get destroyed, I won’t get that awful sick feeling in my stomach like I have in the past.  I still could be little bitter about the first scope, I’m not sure.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 18:11

Folks, Kowa makes many kinds of scopes, and the 823/824 series, with 82 mm ED objectives are as good as Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Nikon ED.

In fact, the Kowa 25x and 27x LER (long eye relief) are outstanding because they offer the longest eyerelief of any eyepiece on any scope: 32mm. If you use eyeglasses or shoting glasses or a gas mask, you will appreciate this.

As to Leupold Sequoia scopes, well i am trying to pick my words carefully here because i don't want to insult anyone. But they suck! On top of everything, Leupold people show up at all Wildlife and Natural Resource and Ornithology conferences and showcase their products. To go there and show their products, i think that they find some sort of "cherry" samples for their products, because they all look better than whhat you get when you come home and order them.

I should sit down and write them a letter, and maybe send them the scope back, maybe they send me a cherry instead of the "lemon" that i have. 

Speaking of variability and cherry vs lemon optics: I also have 12 binoculars of the 8x23 Leupold Wind River Mesa kind. Some of these are so different from the rest of the group, they might as well be a different model. In those 12, i have 3 that are acceptably good and sharp, 6 that are just your average junky reverse porro compact, and 3 that plain outright make me scream.

I also have 2 different Wind River Pinnacles 8x42. Guess what, one is nice, the other sucks.

And i also have a Golden Ring 10x42, the new ones. Don't let anyone fool you. These are good, but not Swarovski good, not even close. 

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 18:35

anweis, I just have to know...

Why would you have 12 of the 8x23 WR Mesas? 

Even if you really liked them (which, judging from you post, you don't) that would still seem a bit excessive.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 18:39
Loaners for children and students.
Barr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2006 at 19:51

Anweis,

Send them back to Leupold.  They may work on the same business practice as Uncle Henry Pocket Knives.  Years ago, they guaranteed those knives against losing them.  To off set the cost to the company, they inflated the price of the product knowing that a percentage of folks would not file a claim.  Of course this is just a story I’m telling.  I don’t have any idea if there is any truth in it or not.

In my opinion Leupold’s aren’t really a bargain in the first place, but they do stand behind their warranty without a question.  So box them up and put a stamp on and send them on their marry way.  I’m sure they will replace them with good ones.  No matter how many boxes they have to sort through to get them.Big smile

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 12:15

Barr, i was thinking more or less along the same line.  It might be a business philosophy, they lower the threshold for what they sell, and raise the threshold for how they service their products.  

I will send some stuff back to them with a letter one of these days.  

Barr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 12:50

The fourth day of this years hunt and guess what fogged up on me. Yep, my brand new replacement spotter. Well I least I got 4 days use out of it in 30 days of hunting. My clients more than likely needed the extra hiking to get better looks at the critters anyway. Twice burned is enough. It will be a cold day in hell before I’ll trust the reliability of Leupold products

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 18:30

I had a 15x45 Leupold Windriver spotter that I bought from SWFA.  I never could get this thing to focus.  During the day I always had heat distortion, etc.  I do like SWFA because I traded it back in, toward a pair of 10x 50 binocs,

now I have something I can really use. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic