OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 vs. Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 3-15x42 vs. Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50
    Posted: June/15/2013 at 18:21
You know I rely on you guys for educated information when it comes to rifles scopes and bi-nos etc. I mean I can look at one to the other but as to the inner working and hidden build quality differences are just not my thing.

Well here is where I humbly ask for opinions as to one over the other and why. The rifle is a mid HVY. Savage in .308. It is to be used as a hill side hog thumper etc... 
Thanks for anything you can add, REP

SWFA SS 3-15x42 vs. Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 I should add that I already own both scopes but plan on giving one up as part of a gift rifle build. 
Enough is to much.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2013 at 18:31
According to my eye, and my buddy who owns a PST 4-16, the SS has better glass. He likes the knobs on his scope better, I like the SS's better. We both agree the zero-stop and illumination are good features on the PST. Basically the scopes are pretty even, but the SS just feels a bit more robust to me...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2013 at 18:36
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

According to my eye, and my buddy who owns a PST 4-16, the SS has better glass. He likes the knobs on his scope better, I like the SS's better. We both agree the zero-stop and illumination are good features on the PST. Basically the scopes are pretty even, but the SS just feels a bit more robust to me...

I'll have to check the diff out. Maybe worth mentioning; I know that the SS is at least twice the weight of the Vortex.
Enough is to much.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2013 at 18:42
Ummm, NO. The SS 3-15 is 2oz heavier than the 4-16 FFP Viper PST.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 17:48
Viper HS is a second focal plane scope.

SWFA SS is a first focal plane scope.  

There are spec differences of course, but ultimately if you like FFP reticles, go with the SS.

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 20:52
The Viper HS LR is offered in FFP in both the 4-16 and 6-24 versions.  The reticle is a pretty nice Christmas tree style design.  The elevation clicks are also in 1/2 MOA, which is a little coarser than the 1/10 MIL clicks of the SWFA, so that can be a consideration.

The SWFA is a little less expensive.

The Viper HS LR is MOA/MOA while the SWFA is MIL/MIL

I think both look like pretty good FFP options.
-Matt
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 10:57
My hog guns have illuminated reticle scopes, pigs like darkness.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 11:02
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Carry on.

I'll bet the hogs doan like your hog guns though!

Krazelegs
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 21:48
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Ummm, NO. The SS 3-15 is 2oz heavier than the 4-16 FFP Viper PST.

Dang busted again, last time was over a manhood discussion with my wife. LOL I know your most likely wright, I have had the Vortex on the rifle unfired for some time now and just recently bought the SS. I just remember thinking how substantial or heavy duty the SS was when I first took it out of the box. And I don't recall this realization with the Vortex. 

Not putting one over the other in this reference, just didn't realize how literal my statement read until I came back and read it. I took the SS out of the closet tonight and gave it another once over. With the Vortex side by side and I must agree at least in a well lit room that the SS's glass is noticeably clearer.      
Enough is to much.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 21:53
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Carry on.

Good point for the night time rig, this rifle is my day light mid range rifle. It is a bit to much rifle for our close encounter night time hunting.   
Enough is to much.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 21:56
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Viper HS is a second focal plane scope.

SWFA SS is a first focal plane scope.  

There are spec differences of course, but ultimately if you like FFP reticles, go with the SS.

ILya

Thanks for the good points all and thanks for chiming in Koshkin; I'll have to send over Pic once my SS is mounted. 
Enough is to much.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 11:27
Sorry REP,

Missed the part where you already had the scopes.  I would love to hear how the SS does as a daytime hog killer.
-Matt
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2013 at 16:50
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Sorry REP,

Missed the part where you already had the scopes.  I would love to hear how the SS does as a daytime hog killer.

No worries friend I think the SS is the ticket...
Enough is to much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic