OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid-Priced Bino Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 19:10
Yeah, I think the Monarch 7 world be a very great bino to have. My brother broke his nikon binos and they had him fill out a big form and made him send them money and he never saw his binoculars for over six months. Plus they were very rude about everything. I broke a cheap 200.00 vortex scope 3 days before the deer hunt and called vortex and they expedited the same scope to me just on my word that i would send them the old one in the new box when it arrived. -no questions asked. Thats the difference (in my perspective) of the warranties. Everyone is going to drop their binoculars every now and then. Its just peace of mind. Warranties aside I would buy the Monarch 7 if it had a vortex sticker on them.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 19:15
after owning a crappy prostaff   scope that had too much veiling flare and a pair of monarch3 binos that flat out sucked i will never buy nikon again. just save up more and buy vortex or meopta or a zen ray
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 20:26
Nikon needs to stick to cameras and camera lenses IMO.  They suck with their hit and miss CS, and piss poor sport optics marketing.  It's a shame because the EDG is a great hunting bino.
Demonical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 23:11
Today I finally got a chance to look at a few models. Honestly I couldn't see much difference in the optics f anything I looked at. What I did notice was the focus wheel; some models had noticably smoother action.
Demonical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 23:17
Models I looked at: Vortex Talon. Didn't like. Bushnell Elite E2. Didn't like.
Vortex Viper. I like those.
Pentax DCF-SP, I was impressed by those.
Leupold Mojave. Did not like.
I was not happy with the small selection of binos that were available. Tomorrow I'm hoping to see some more.

I'd really like to check Nikon Monarch 7, vs those Pentax DCF-SP, against Vortex Viper and some Steiners.
Demonical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2013 at 23:28
I still prefer the old foldup eyecups vs these twist up things. On that note, certain of the binoculars had better, more positive detents on the eyecup adjustment.

Oh yes; and I looked at a Vortex bino that had some STUPID ranging function on the glass. Ruined them for me! Without that crap on there, I'd have been seriously interested in them.

So as it stands, Bushnell is out. I gotta see a LOT better from Leupold to be interested. I have a buddy that showed up on a moose hunt once, with new Leupolds. They fogged internally, day one that we got rain. My old Bushnell Trophies handled that rain, and all the other crap I've put them through, and have never failed me. But I think I can get better glass...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 09:59
I wouldn't let one bad pair of Leupolds completely turn you off from them.  Most modern day optics are water and fog proof.  Something was obviously wrong with them for them to do that.

That being said, lots of other awesome options available as well.  Now is a great time to be buying optics.  There are so many excellent choices out there.  I have had or used Meopta, Vortex, Zeiss, and Leica in the last 6 or 7 years and have been very satisfied with all of them. 

I really like the Vortex Viper HD for the money.  Comparing them next to my Meopta Meostar and Zeiss Victory, they looked pretty darn good.  I can see a pair of the 8x32s in my future for sure.    
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Demonical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 14:29
Cabelas Euro are awfully nice, eh? Is the HD version really worth $400 more?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 14:46
Thats what I have is the Euro's, same as the Meopta Meostar.  They are very very nice.  They say the HDs have less chromatic aberration.  So if that bugs you then they might be.  But I have been perfectly happy with mine.  I also have a set of Zeiss Victory RF binos and optically they are much closer that one would think.  If I did not want the range finding function I would have a real hard time spending anything over the Meopta Meostar line for sure.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 14:56
Originally posted by Demonical Demonical wrote:

Cabelas Euro are awfully nice, eh? Is the HD version really worth $400 more?

Looks like they are only $300 more, not $400. 

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 17:56
i own the Meostar HDs as well...ive never looked thro the non HD ones but ive heard the main difference is no chromatic abberation.....if i were id go on and save up a bit extra and get the HDs...i got mine new in box at a deal i couldnt refuse....the view thro them is incredible...im also glad i didnt get the 8x
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 19:27
The HDs have improved CA control as stated, but also offer much more neutral color.

Because of this they have better apparent resolution, to me.
-Matt
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 20:39
I looked through those 10x42 Meopta HD's again today.  The more I use them the more impressed I am with the whole package.  Optics are outstanding, fit and finish are outstanding, ergos are outstanding.  I'm with supertool,  if I didn't already have the SLC HD, those Meopta HD's would go home with me.  I preferred them to the Conquest HD side by side.  
Demonical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 08:01
I ordered Pentax DCF ED 10x50[/] binos.

I was very impressed with the DCF SPs that I looked at the other day. My understanding is that the ED is a step up from those, so I figure why not give them a shot?

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 08:57
Not knocking your choice of the Pentax ED because it has glass that rivals most anything out there.  Did you look through them first?  The biggest complaint about these is the abysmal FOV.  Nowhere near as wide as the Meopta HD.  If that's not a big deal to you then you ought to have a winner.  
Demonical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 15:18
^ JGRaider, FOV doesn't matter to me too much. They are for hunting.

I liked the military spec build of the Pentax, coupled with the quality of the optics.

I might end up with an 8x pair as well.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by Demonical Demonical wrote:

^ JGRaider, FOV doesn't matter to me too much. They are for hunting.

I liked the military spec build of the Pentax, coupled with the quality of the optics.

I might end up with an 8x pair as well.

What the devil is the relationship thinking since they are for hunting fov does not matter?  Pentax pretty much disappeared from the scene after the ED's and those are a pretty old design.  But only you have to like them I guess.

The prime use of binoculars for hunting is glassing for game hidden somewhere in a thicket or sage flat...or somewhere.  FOV is pretty important there.  Not so much I guess if all you are doing is using the binocular to look at something you have already seen.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 17:34
Kind of what I was thinking Klamath.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 17:49
Wide FOV is one of my first considerations in a hunting binocular as well.
-Matt
Demonical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2013 at 12:08
261/1000 yards, admittedly a narrow FOV. I will live with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic