OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

steiner 8x30 hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steiner 8x30 hunting
    Posted: May/09/2006 at 14:37

Hello,  I recently did purchase a pair of steiner predator pro 8x22 binoculars.  They were good quality  optics but did not work with glasses. I did send them back and now I am looking to spend a little more on binos that will work with glasses and that have a little better brightness on overcast days.

My question is which is the better optic for hunting and scouting.  (I hunt eastern turkey,canada geese,and whitetail deer).  close focus is not really a concern as long as I can focus over 25 yards.

steiner 8x30 hunting  (the sample list)

pentax 8x28 dcf mp

The pair with the best resolution and glasses compatibility is what I am looking for.

If anyone has experience with other binos in this price range please let me know.

Their is little info on the steiner hunter as for eye relief, bak 4 or bak 7 , waterproofing, eye cups , etc.

I will sincerly apreciate all replies, and will thank everyone in advance.

THANK YOU

Michigan

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2006 at 18:10

Personally, I would choose the Pentax. 

I own three Pentax binoculars and have been very pleased with each of them.  Their optics are unilaterally fantastic and the build quality is there in spades.  I wear eyeglasses with a very strong prescription and have never had any trouble getting the full field of view from any Pentax binocular. 

I have never been super impressed with Steiner optics.  Part of this is admittedly a strongly held personal bias against the Individual Focus mechanism they incorporate into the majority of their offerings.  You may have a different experience. The Pentax will also be more compact and will serve better in a wider arena of purposes.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 08:44

Not meaning to argue with anybody, but, if you have no problem with individual focusing, as lucznik suggests, the Steiner should also work for you.  Its eye relief is 20 mm, which should be very acceptable for eyeglass wearers.  The minimum acceptable eye relief for eyeglass wearers (most people say) is 16 mm.  The Hunting series of the Steiner brand has been discontinued for some time, but when it was in the line, it was the top line of the brand. 

Pentax binoculars are excellent.  I'm not certain where the dcf mp series stands (or rather, stood) in the Pentax line-up.  I think, among the roof prism models, the SP's are top-of-the-line. 

SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 08:46

I forgot to add: 

The Steiner Hunting binocular's eye-cups are the standard, soft type.  So, for eyeglass use, the user must fold them back on themselves.  You may or may not have a dislike of that.  Other brands now offer push-down/pull-up eye cups.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 09:39
Just to add to Steve what Steve wrote, the Steiner bino features a focus system that you focus once and your done. That is the advantage to the sports focus system utilized in their porro prism bino's. In my opinion, this is a big advantage for low light hunting situations.
michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 11:59

Well, I just orderd the steiner hunting 8x30 the nice lady at swfa was very helpful and that made me feel better about buying a used binocular that I havent even had the chance to see yet.

I was going to buy the pentax dcf mp 8x28 partially because they now have a liftime no fault warranty.

however the pentax were not in stock (on backorder) .

thanks again,

Michigan

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 13:10
Let us know how you like them. Good luck.
michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2006 at 13:47

Hello,  I have recieved my 8x30 steiner hunting and am very happy with them.  They have the best depth of field of any binocular I have looked through.  The view s clear and even in low light they still give a good image.  It will take some time to get used to the auto focus and I am finding slight reajustment is needed to get the optimal view.  I still am very happy with the steiner binoculars. 

I would however like to know how much better the 8x30 nighthunter xp are. Would there be more resolution, a crisper image, and would they be any bettet during dusk viewing hours. 

Also, the 8x30 hunting have a small tear on the rubber armouring.  Not sure what I should do about this.

Michigan

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2006 at 14:34
michigan, try focusing them on a license plate or road sign, something with good definition, at about 40 yrds. or so. This is what I have done and it seems to work for me. As far as the difference between the Hunting and NightHunters are concerned, I don't think that you would see any real difference. They improved the stray light baffling system in the NightHunters and they have the winged eyecups which makes a noticeable difference between the two. I believe the winged eye cups on the Nighthunters will fit on your Hunting series bino's. They fit on my 7x50 Whitetails from a pair of 7x50 NightHunters. The Whitetails preceded the Hunting series and are super bright bino's. Steiner's tech guys are knowledgeable and should be able to give you the info on the retro fit you you desire. It's worth the phone call. A far as the tear on the housing, it will have no effect on the waterproofing integrity. Check with them if you are concerned. Glad you like the 8x30's.
michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 14:35

Hello, I went and focused the 8x30's on a license plate at about 40 yars and that worked great.  I had them out untill dark last night and they worked untill it was almost completly dark, (they did not work in total darkness though).  I am very happy with them.

I called the people at pioneer research and was told the winged eyecups would not fit my steiner 8x30 hunting.

I also have found a pair of 6x30 whitetail binoculars in very good condition for $160.  Would these be a good deal, and will these work in even darker conditions due to the larger exit pupil.

they do not have the reticle.

thanks Roy

michigan

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 14:43
No, it's not a good deal, it's a great deal. I have 6x30 and 7x50 Whitetails and they are not for sale. Where I have property in western NY the terrain is thick cover. The 6x30's are perfect for that. They are very bright due to their 5mm exit pupil and great glass coatings. The Whitetails were renamed into the Hunting series due to a name conflict with another sport optics company years ago.
michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2006 at 18:56

Sadly I had to return the steiner binos. They were clear and good quality nothing at all wrong with them. However because of the everything in focus at one time it was just to hard to not look at the branches of trees in front of me and see past them across the field that was also in focus to the next tree line where i wanted to be looking.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic