OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

reloading 308 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reloading 308 ?
    Posted: June/10/2013 at 12:55
i am new to reloading and have put together a few 308 rounds out of 2 different brands of brass but all other components are the same. the rounds with remington brass is chambering fine but the federal brass takes a bit more pressure to close the bolt. both were trimmed to 2.005" and sized in the same die that was not readjusted inbetween. niether round has been crimped. does anyone have an idea why this would be
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:02
Probably need to push the shoulder back just a touch for the fed brass. 

Your die may not be set to bump the shoulder at all.  The remington brass may have been bumped back a bit more to start with.  Upon your first firing your remington brass will grow and probably need that bump as well.  You just want to bump them a tiny bit, so they don't have much room to grow when fired.  Otherwise your brass will wear out faster. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:12
Ditto
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:16

You really shouldn't use different brands of brass to develop one load.  Powder capacities can differ quite a bit if the brass capacity varies too much,shown by weight comparisons, and can cause pressure problems.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:18
Good point Earl, even different lots of the same brand can have pressure differences.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

fatboy15th View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:29
ok but boyh sets of brass set in my headspace guage the same
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:34

I'm guessing there may be a dimensional difference somewhere between the two brands causing the problem. For example rim thickness. Doesn't take much.

I haven't done any brand comparisons for yrs since I have enough of one brand for each cartridge I load for.  I know at one time the weight diff between Remington (heavier) and Winchester was substantial enough to give a capacity varition not to be ignored. 

Edited by 300S&W - June/10/2013 at 13:40
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:36
What headspace gauge you using?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:39
im not, i used rem brass for load development and fed brass for a primer comparison, but good point.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:40
dillon precision
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 13:47
Can you see on the shoulder where the Fed brass is touching? 

Do you have a tool to measure the shoulder? 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 14:00
no and no and as for 300 s&w ? about rim thickness does the rim contact anything in the chamber to make that an issue?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 14:21

"im not, i used rem brass for load development and fed brass for a primer comparison, but good point."
     Thunbs Up  Not personally knowing the experience of those who read these threads I just thought I should mention it.

The rim contacts the bolt face which can put the shoulder a bit more forward in the chamber. It also contacts the shellholder on the press which can mean the shoulder is a bit more forward than a casing with a thinner rim.  Rim variation was just an example and it would surprise me if the diff was enough to be your problem.  Got to start somewhere. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 15:40
this gives me things to think about, thank you for the input i appreciate any info i can get. man i got a lot to learn bout reloading!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 22:49
supertool u were right i just needed to set my die a little tighter, i wasnt bumpin my shoulder back enough. i tightened my die a little at a time till the cases chambered like they should. one would think that if a cartridge was fired out of only 1 chamber that it couldnt grow any larger than that chamber or enough to make it hard to rechamber but i guess thats not the way it is. thank you all for the input, much appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic