OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st Impressions with the 7 LRM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Impressions with the 7 LRM
    Posted: June/10/2013 at 09:13
A good friend, Aaron A. and I had set aside two mornings and two afternoons for some LR doggin. He and his family would be coming through our area and we wanted to commit to some LR doggin.
Rain and high winds took away three of those shooting opportunities. We did go out on a Saturday afternoon late. Winds were in the 7mph zone but were not constant.

Aaron is running a rear-grip XP-100 chambered in 7mm Dakota (180 Berger Hybrids). He made a benchrest stock for his XP that is 3" wide in the forend and is also 3" wide at the base of the grip. He added lead to it to make the weight overall around 32 pounds (no muzzle brake). 20" 1.250 diameter Krieger or Bartlein 8.5 Twist, Jewel trigger, 12-42 NF benchrest scope. Has a Variable Gantry Mount scope base that can be adjusted to over 100 MOA.

Mine is a BAT non-designated action, 7mm LRM (Long Range Magnum), 1-8 twist Krieger W/Gunwerks brake, Jewel trigger, Eric Wallace Benchrest stock, 20 MOA base, Burris Signature Zee Rings (added 20 MOA with inserts), Sightron S-III 6-24 with MOA reticle.
Gunwerks factory ammo (180 Berger Hybrid). It weighs around 16 pounds.
Gunwerks chambered and fitted the barrel. I was going to run a 20" tube for this project, but once I realized that Gunwerks was looking for ballistic information for shorter than their normal barrel length in their rifles (25.5"), I decided to go with a 21.75" tube. This is closer to what they are considering.
I guessed MV based on what the typical MV was in a 25.5" 7 LRM would be when cut down to 21.75" to be around 2850 fps. I ran several different drop charts in 50 fps increments.
First time I shot this rig was sighting it in at 100 yards a couple of Saturday afternoons ago the very day we went after dogs, using only their ammo.
I shot out to just over 1600 yards. No dead dogs, but a handful of real close ones. If they had been rock chucks, they would have been dead for sure. Beyond 1500 to 1600 yards the 6-24 S-III with its 1/4 minute dot was just to large. Chose this scope since it has 100 MOA internally and a 20 MOA reticle. Should have put my 8-32 S-III (less internal MOA) on.
I would normally had a heavier barrel, but this was the only 8T Krieger I could find at the time.

These are purely bench specialty pistols, built for the sole purpose of accuracy off of the bench.
Both of us were using MAX Rests.

My longest shot was just over 1600 yards. Dogs were going down after 1 or two close shots which made things difficult.

Fast forward several weeks.

I chronographed the 7LRM, using Gunwerks ammo this past Friday afternoon.  I was fortunate and one of my guesses was correct, as it was right at 2850 fps.
The story behind this 5-shot group at 100 yards below:

I shot this 5-shot group at 100 yards yesterday after engaging two targets per 100 yards from 400-1100 yards, in increments of 100 yards in a local LR match.
We could take up to two shots per target, but only one hit counted.
Everything was under time requirements.

Targets at each distance were 1MOA and 1/2 MOA, so of course, the target sizes varied.
You got more points if you hit the target the first time.

The man who put on the match on his own private range took 1st on this portion and I came in second using the 7 LRM.

This all was done with Gunwerks ammo-No tweaking by me!
I just chronographed the load the night before the shoot and had not had a opportunity to confirm drops.
Between me confirming my zero, chronographing the load, shooting the match and letting some guys shoot the 7LRM for fun (Never had shot a SP before), I had over 50 rounds through this barrel since the last cleaning.
I am very pleased with the chambering (Gunwerks) and accuracy of this barrel (Krieger) and with the manufactured ammo produced by Gunwerks.
It is one thing to expect a good group out of clean barrel, but to get a great group after that many rounds is truly pleasing when using a cartridge of this size.

In talking with Aaron Davidson of Gunwerks, he told me he wants at least 1/2" groups at 100 yards with their ammo and their rifle.
I forgot at the moment, whether this was a 3-shot group or a 5-shot group, since they make LR hunting rigs, not comp rigs.
Scope continues to be a Sightron S-III 6-24 with MOA reticle.
For guys who do not reload, and want a excellent long-range cartridge in 7mm, the 7mm Long Range Magnum is one good option.
This non-designated BAT action (Jewel trigger) is a switch barrel/switch stock, and I will be reconfiguring it with a different barrel for a LR specialty pistol match in a couple of weeks.
After that, I will put the field stock on it, a McRee pistol chassis, and set it up for field shooting and hunting for this fall.
I still have not loaded for it yet.
This is the best 5-shot group I have ever made with this many rounds through the tube, and I didn't load for it  :grin:
That feels weird and great all at the same time.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 18:09
How hard to convert 7mmRemMag to 7LRM?  I'm giving my Browning Stalker in 7mmRemMag to my son-in-law, maybe 7LRM conversion prior would be cool.  He's a Marine Gunny... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 18:15
Since it has the same boltface, I don't think it would be hard at all.
But beyond that, I would need to ask.

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

How hard to convert 7mmRemMag to 7LRM?  I'm giving my Browning Stalker in 7mmRemMag to my son-in-law, maybe 7LRM conversion prior would be cool.  He's a Marine Gunny... 
Ernie

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 18:26
Please let me know.  I think he would like that.

Great shooting there, sir.  Always LOVE to see your pistoles and your stories.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 10:57
Yep, you have everything you need.
I would use at least a 1-9 twist barrel for the 180's, if you want to use them.
Mine is a 8T, since I am waiting for the 195 Hybrids to come out.
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Please let me know.  I think he would like that.

Great shooting there, sir.  Always LOVE to see your pistoles and your stories.
Ernie

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 11:10
I'm curious: why not just add a should stock to those things and be done?  A 32-pound pistol with a 20" barrel, you're most of the way to a rifle already!

If the answer is "because I can", then carry on.

The 7 LRM sounds interesting.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 11:24
Aaron and I are both working on a 2000 yard plus prairie dog connection with specialty pistols.
Just as ultra long range rifles do not resemble a practical field rig, neither do a intentionally built SP.
Aaron added so much weight so as to not worry about a brake when using a 12-42 scope.
My set-up was built with the "heavy pistol" Long-Range Handgun match in mind.

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I'm curious: why not just add a should stock to those things and be done?  A 32-pound pistol with a 20" barrel, you're most of the way to a rifle already!

If the answer is "because I can", then carry on.

The 7 LRM sounds interesting.
Ernie

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 15:23
Great shooting Ernie, and as always, fine write up and pictures. I now feel inadequate only having a TC in .223.
Doug
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 17:24
No sense feeling inadequate, what do you want? Bandito
Ernie

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 23:21
When I look at those i dont feel a bit bad about paying what I did for my Bullberry / Encore barrel. Cool

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2013 at 00:16
True, very true!Big Grin
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

When I look at those i dont feel a bit bad about paying what I did for my Bullberry / Encore barrel. Cool
Ernie

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2013 at 15:41
I am not sure what barrel I want, something for 200 yd target, though.
Doug
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2013 at 16:23
Encore or Contender?
Ernie

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2013 at 18:59
Contender

Doug
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2013 at 00:02
6mm-223?
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 23:52
Changing out stock and scope for a LR tactical match in a couple of weeks.
Hopefully the LRM will give me an edge.
Ernie

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2013 at 08:13
Doubt if you really need an edge Ernie!!! Howdy

Carry on having FUN!!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2013 at 09:40
I will always take an edge if I can get one.  There are some really good shooters out there.
Here is the transformation of the LRM:
On Memorial Day weekend my 7mm LRM looked like this:

After that I took off the 7 LRM barrel and put on the 7WSM barrel.  It turned in my best 10 shot group at a grand as well with a 8 inch group.

Then this afternoon, I took of the bench stock and put on the McRee. 
Took off the 7WSM barrel and put on the 7LRM barrel.
Took of the original Gunwerks brake and put on a Holland Radial Brake. 
The Sightron S-III 8-32 came off and on went a FFP Leupold 6.5-20 with Holland's all MOA ART Reticle.

I thought about chopping the barrel down, but I still have not done the load development with Retumbo yet.
I will take the added MV advantage for this comp for sure.
Also added a sling swivel stud in the back on the left side, so I can sling it up.
Now the 7 LRM is ready for WTRC
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2013 at 10:00
Here is a 100 yard group off of a bi-pod this morning.
The sucker really torques!
Ernie

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2013 at 11:41
Dammit, Ernie... you're gonna convince me to built one of those LR space pistoles yet!!!!

Nice shooting!

My longest confirmed prairie rat kill to date has been 980 yds with a 6BR. The main limitation I've faced so far in besting that has been my inability to see the little b@stids through the mirage at further distances during most of the day.

Question: why 7LRM over 7WSM? It seems to me that 7WSM would be a bit more efficient in the short bbl, coupled with better brass availability.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic