OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica Ultravid HD vs Peregrine XP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahotrophyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica Ultravid HD vs Peregrine XP
    Posted: June/08/2013 at 16:33
I have very happy with my 10x44 Steiner Peregrine XP and consider them in the world class optics category. However I am contemplating moving to a pair of 10x50 leica ultravid hd's. The cost difference to me is bout $500.00 out of pocket. Am I going to notice a difference or am I trying to cut hairs to much and be happy with my Steiners?
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2013 at 21:00
I had a pair of XP's for about five days. Central sharpness was a great disappointment. I would bet dollars to donuts that the Leica will be noticeably better.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2013 at 11:19
Originally posted by PhilR. PhilR. wrote:

I had a pair of XP's for about five days. Central sharpness was a great disappointment. I would bet dollars to donuts that the Leica will be noticeably better.

Great disappointment compared to what ?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2013 at 19:14
Originally posted by PhilR. PhilR. wrote:

All I can say is that the Peregrine XP I had for review were exceptionally sharp.  I would bet that any difference is minor, but all eyes see differently.

To the OP I would suggest...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Smile
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 10:18
+1 with Klamath.$500 buys some lots of ammo!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 10:44
I have an Ultravid HD. It's fantastic!

That being said, so is the Peregrine XP. It's probably comparable or very close to any of the alpha binos. If I had a Peregrine XP, I wouldn't sell it to get another alpha bino, unless for some reason I didn't like the weight, ergos, etc. and I got such an exceptional deal on another alpha-level bino that did have a form factor I preferred that I couldn't pass it up.

Keep your Peregrine and use the extra $500 for something else you need. I'd be very surprised if you would notice much, if any difference in image quality between it and the UV HD.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 19:41
+1 to what Rifle said.  The XP's I used take a backseat to nothing at any price.  Steiner makes arguably the toughest binos on the planet also, including the XP.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 18:04
The only thing I can add to this is that everyone's eyes are a little different, so we all see a little differently.

Overall, there is little difference between the top notch binos out there, but they all have their own "flavor" of sorts.  For example, traditionally, Zeiss emphasized resolution, Leica emphasized contrast and Swarovski focused on the widest sweetspot.  It is not quite that simple anymore, but there are some fairly subtle differences that do not make one optic better than the other, but are rather specific design choices unique to each brand.

Make sure you get your hands on an Ultravid if you are seriously considering and see if it looks better to your eyes than the Peregrine XP.

The Peregrine XP is a superb piece and if your eyes agree with it, it will be as good as anything else out there.  However, only you can really tell, since noone else is looking through these binos with the same set of eyeballs.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic