OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illumination like S&B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illumination like S&B
    Posted: June/08/2013 at 03:01
Works like a non-illuminated scope when not illuminated. NO floating dot in the centre when not illuminated.

Do you know any others who makes it like this? I may have heard the new Minox ZE5i have this feature.

I know Kahles and Meopta dont.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2013 at 10:58
Not that I have seen
That is one of the reasons I love my 1.5-6 Flashdot 9
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2013 at 11:00
I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly but Bushnell has a system that's called firefly.I'ts a non illum.ret but if you shine a light into the scope you will get a temporary illum. that last about 1/2 hour.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2013 at 11:04
+1 with ccoker on the FD9,I have one on my S&B 3-12 Zenith.They are about as good as it gets but I think the best would be the Trijjicon's
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2013 at 14:01
The illuminated dot in the center of the S&B flashdot reticle is only present when illumination is turned on. It isn't part of the black reticle when illumination is turned off. This is accomplished by having a tiny round prism in the center of the crosshairs. The red illumination light is projected to the prism to cause the red dot to appear only when the illumination switch is turned on. So, you preserve the thin crosshairs for max aiming precision when you don't want illumination and you have a distinct red dot for aiming speed and contrast in low light when you do. The best of both worlds. To my knowledge, only S&B offers this feature in a conventional magnified riflescope. It's one of the features I really like about the S&B Zenith with Flashdot.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2013 at 16:00
Yea rifledude just described it.

By the way I can now tell you that the new Minox ZE5i has this feature.

They got two attractive models in 2-10x50 and 3-15x56 :)
De_Tomaso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De_Tomaso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 01:56

Only similar illumination technology like S&B Flash Dot on the market at the moment is also used by Kaps in their TLB series of scopes.

Very similar effect is also achieved by Zeiss in their Victory HT scopes where the dot is so small that when switched off it is smaller than the cross-hair and thus not visible. 

MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 01:50
The MeoStar R1 1.5-6x42 with 4C reticle has the same type of "flashdot" originally from Schmidt Bender.
When the illumination is on, the center point of the #4 reticle is illuminated, when the illumination is off you do not see a dot in the center, only the intersection of the fine crosshairs.

To be clear though, this is the only scope from the MeoStar R1 series which has this technology.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 06:00
Cool
I dig Meopta glass

Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2013 at 06:53
Wow Cool MeoptaSurujuh, didnt know that.

Hope the new R2 series will use this feature too
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2013 at 04:58
The technology in the upcoming R2 series is again different (improved) versus the R1 1.5-6x42, but has the same effect...no more center dot.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2013 at 07:54
Cool
Make us a lightweight FFP, mil/mil, 30mm 3-12x50 with a low profile elevation dial with a zero stop and capped windage.

The guys that get used to running "tactical" scopes want a lighter, more compact scope for hunting.

Priced right it will sell.

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2013 at 09:21
Burris euro diamond 3-12 I had with German 4 reticle worked like this.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 05:42
Meopta - When do you release the new R2 series? I know the first in the line 1-6x24 is out now?
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 16:00
Doesent Leupold firedot use this feature? the vx-6 ?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 16:54
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Cool
Make us a lightweight FFP, mil/mil, 30mm 3-12x50 with a low profile elevation dial with a zero stop and capped windage.

The guys that get used to running "tactical" scopes want a lighter, more compact scope for hunting.

Priced right it will sell.

Make that MOA/MOA...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 18:08
Ha!
How about a compromise
Mil reticle and MOA turrets ?

:)

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2013 at 19:55
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Ha!
How about a compromise
Mil reticle and MOA turrets ?

:)
THAT is way "old school"... shows your age...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 10:16
You saw the smiley face right ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic