OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 Initial Thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodstriker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 Initial Thoughts
    Posted: June/05/2013 at 18:51
I just received and mounted my Zeiss Conquest 5-25x50 Rapid Z Varmint today. I was looking for more information about this scope prior to buying and could find much, so here are my initial thoughts for anybody interested in this scope. I will be comparing it to the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and the S&B PMII 5-25x56.

Image Quality:

The image is clear, bright, and has good contrast. However, there is a bit of pin-cushioning at the edges. This is very, very minor, but if one really looks for it, it's there.

Compared to the old Conquest, the clarity is about the same. However, the image is noticeably brighter and has better contrast. This may or may not have to do with the larger objective lens.

Obviously, the S&B PMII wins hands down in image quality. It has it beat in every category. And it should, since it's 3x the price. However, the HD5 is no slouch. I look at both scopes at objects from 100M - 10KM. Where the S&B really shines is at longer distances (700m and up). Still, the HD5 was able to pick up on mirage at long distances.

Adjustments:
The new HD5 target turrets have a good feel to them. They're nothing spectacular, but they aren't mushy either. There's a total of 65 MOA of elevation. The problem really comes with the zero stop. I'm only able to get 16.5 MOA of elevation with the zero stop installed. IMHO, this is the weakest point of the scope and may be a deal breaker for some. The zero stop can be completely taken out if the user wishes.

Tracking:
Will report soon.

Reticle:
The Rapid Z Varmint reticle is very good for it's intended purpose. The stadia strike a good balance of being thin enough for target shooting and thick enough for varminting - which is to say, they are thin.

Size and Weight:
The HD5's size is perfect for it's power range and objective size. I could not ask for much more. It is an extremely compact 5-25x50 scope with a 1" tube. It's only slightly longer than the 4.5-14x44 and much, much shorter than the PMII. I had also compared the HD5 side by side with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, and the length of the HD5 only reaches the start of the bell of the Viper.

I would expect a scope of this size to be very light. However, that's not the case. The scope has some heft to it. Not as heavy as the PMII, but not nearly as light as the 4.5-14x44.

Pros:
Excellent glass
Good magnification range
Positive feeling turrets without being too stiff
Locking Turrets

Cons:
Zero stop limits total usable elevation
A bit on the heavy side

Closing Thoughts:
I am extremely happy with the Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 thus far. The two best features of this scope are the magnification range and glass quality. I had compared this scope to the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP and although the Vortex had pretty much every feature I could ask for, the Zeiss had it beat in glass and size.

130M @ 5x

130M @ 25x

Bloodstriker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodstriker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 18:53
Oops. Here's the pic @ 5x

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 23:24
Nice review, Bloodstriker! Thanks for your feedback, and welcome to OT!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodstriker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 02:11
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Nice review, Bloodstriker! Thanks for your feedback, and welcome to OT!

Thanks! I've been lurking here for about a year and just realized today that I never registered!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 05:34
Welcome aboard and thanks for contributing! Howdy
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 06:01
Any good stuff in any of the windows?

Cool
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 09:37
Thanks for the notes, Bloodstriker.

Welcome!

Peddler,

Butt Kick

-Matt
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 10:26
I did some testing last night with the Conquest HD 3-15 against 2 scopes I own.
Kahles K312 3-12x50
Meopta 3-12x56 RD

I must say the Conquest did much better than I was expecting.
I was looking under dense trees at 2-300 yards.

I had to back the power off some but there wasn't a big difference between any of them.

I was looking at tree branches and leaves looking for details.
It was 9pm CST
At 200 yards I could clearly see individual leaves and branches.
The tree line was black to my naked eye and I would not been able to see a deer there.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodstriker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 12:15
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Any good stuff in any of the windows?

Cool

I wish!!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodstriker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 12:46
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I did some testing last night with the Conquest HD 3-15 against 2 scopes I own.
Kahles K312 3-12x50
Meopta 3-12x56 RD

I must say the Conquest did much better than I was expecting.
I was looking under dense trees at 2-300 yards.

I had to back the power off some but there wasn't a big difference between any of them.

I was looking at tree branches and leaves looking for details.
It was 9pm CST
At 200 yards I could clearly see individual leaves and branches.
The tree line was black to my naked eye and I would not been able to see a deer there.

What did you see with the other two scopes?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 15:18
Kahles has the best resolution

Glass between the other two a toss up really

I am sitting hairs here..
All are damned nice scopes

I will so some more optical testing..

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 15:44
im seriously thinking about getting one of these zeiss 5-25x50. my 4-12 swaro just is not enough magnification for me.    
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 16:45
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Thanks for the notes, Bloodstriker.

Welcome!

Peddler,

Butt Kick

Matt, ya never know if you don't ask.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodstriker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2013 at 03:39
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Kahles has the best resolution

Glass between the other two a toss up really

I am sitting hairs here..
All are damned nice scopes

I will so some more optical testing..

I've compared a Meopta with the HD5. I agree that the glass is a toss up between the two. Im not familiar with Kahles but I looked it up and it looks like a great competitor to some higher end scopes like the Zeiss Victory it Swarovski Z5/Z6.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2013 at 06:53
whixh meopta did u compare to? meopro or meotar?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2013 at 09:05
I have both a Meopro 4-12x50 and Meostar 3-12x56

According to John Lara at Meopta they both have the same glass and coatings.

The Meostar 3-12x56 is a tiny bit easier on the eyes trying to resolve detail past sunset.
In the day I couldn't tell the difference and so I asked.

For a hunting scope I want great low light performance and the ability to count points on a buck at 200 yards 30 minutes after sunset.

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2013 at 10:11
im considering a 4-12 x50 meopro if i dont go with the zeiss hd5
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2013 at 10:36
If you are near Austin,TX I would be happy to help..

BTW, I spoke with Kenton Industries a few weeks ago and they are working on custom dials for Meoptas

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2013 at 12:18
im in MS lol.   i think i may order a 4-12 meopro and do a comparison to my swaro. if the swaro is just way better ill send meopro back.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2013 at 13:20
Cool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic