OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Still 6 inches right.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still 6 inches right.
    Posted: June/05/2013 at 01:40
Hello all! Im new here to optics talk. I have read quite a bit of the postings but Im still confused. So recently I had purchased a Savage LRH in 300 WM. I dressed it with burris extreme tactical bases and rings with a 5-20x44 Nikon Monarch. I took it to the range and started @ 50 yds got it close to zero leaving it an inch or to high. Then when I took it out to 100 yds it was 6 inches to the right I adjusted accordingly till I actually ran out of adjustment even though it was still sending then down range 6 inches to the right in a 1 inch group or so. I assumed it was human error so I checked torque on everything and double checked. I eventually assumed it was the scope so I sent it back to Nikon. Just to take a little more human error out of the question I purchased a one piece rail at Academy and mounted a brand new Leupold VX3 with the same rings. Well yesterday I finally got back out to the range and It was the same story different day. Im pretty flustered by the whole situation. To this point I went ahead and swapped the rings out for some redfield tactical rings so it will be a whole new set up next time. Im just starting to question if it might be the way the rifle was drilled & tapped but just eye balling it looks fine and lined up true to the barrel. Any ideas? I sure wouldn't think a rifle like this you should have to shim the scope to make it work.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 03:59
If your scope mounting is done correctly and you then still run out of adjustment someting must be out of alignment.

Try the following:
Make sure your turrets are zeroed. Count the number of clicks from full right to full left, then dial back half that number.
Now mount the scope, but do not tighten the screws. Just lightly tighten them.

Now mount your rifle in a vice, sturdy rifle cleaning station, sandbaags ore any other plan you can come up with. The bolt must be removed and a target must be about 15 meters in front of you.

Now peer through the barrel and shift either the target or the rifle untill you can see the bull through your barrel.

Now look through your scope. Where is it pointing? Can you tighten on side of the mounts so as to shift the scope? Try shifting the scope untill you are also on the bull, without shifting the rifle.

Is it impossible? Then someting is badly out of alignment and a gunsmith or engineer would have to sort things out.

It could even be that your rifle barrel is bent, this can easily happen.

Hope this helps.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 08:26
Some scopes have a lot more internal adjustment than others. 6 inches at 100 yds is not a lot.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx The Super Sniper scopes have plenty of adjustment and this would never be an issue with one of them.   SWFA does allow trade in of optics http://www.samplelist.com/TradeInForm.aspx.  The best rings and base would be Badger Ordnance but Talley Lightweight ringmounts have the base built in which makes one less thing to go wrong.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 08:51
Are the Burris rings the type with the insert that fits between the scope and rings?
http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-1-Rings-P1301.aspx
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Porkchop88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 12:37
Thanks for the replies.

8shots I will give that a try. I have a lead sled I rarely use but I reckon that will work. I sure hope the barrel isn't bent It hasn't made but 2 trips out of the safe since I bought it.

Urimaginaryfrnd I would think I wouldn't have to purchase another new scope for this gun both the Monarch and the VX3 were brand new. I am looking to get a 10x SS for my remmy 700 varmint I guess I could give it a try.

BeltFed I was using these.

http://swfa.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactical-2-Piece-Base-P6130.aspx

http://swfa.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactical-1-Rings-P7957.aspx
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 13:09
I can make a few suggestions, some of which you will not like.

Most high magnification scopes,especially the ones with a 1" tube have pretty limited adjustment range, so you want to make sure your bases/rings are straight on or have some adjustment in them.

The problem can be with the way receiver is drilled, or with the bases or with the rings.

I simple check to see if it is the rings, is to swap them front to back.  If all of a sudden your problem is resolves or the POI is not to the left, the rings were the problem.

However, in your case, I would simple get a pair of these rings:

and a set of these inserts:

Zero out your scope's adjustments and use the inserts to get as close as possible,  then do fine adjustment withe turrets.

Ilya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 13:51
Thanks Koshkin I wish I would of known that before I took the Burris rings off. I guess I can back track to that if needed. hopefully the Redfield rings will do the trick though.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 14:12
Well the Nikon Monarch scope has 30 MOA of internal adjustment where the Super Sniper has about    100 + MOA of internal adjustment often over 120 moa. That translates to 30 total inches of adjustment for the Nikon at 100 yds half of which should be left half to the right or half up and half down so 15 inches of travel and you aparently need 6 more inches of travel.  The Super Sniper simply will have much more adjustment.  
There are several ways of fixing the problem.  Leupold standard base uses two screws one on each side of the back ring which allow a lot of adjustment left and right. While this is not my favorite mounting system it would work with the Nikon scope. I dont understand the Leupold being short of adjustment range even though one inch tubes dont have as much room inside as a 30 mm tube Leupold usually has better than average adjustment range.   Which VX 3 scope is this you have?
Leupold Standard 1 Piece Base Leupold Standard 1 Piece Base
Stock # - LEU51011
  • Savage 110 through 116 Right Hand Long Action Heavy Barrel
  • Savage 110 through 116 Right Hand Long Action Sporter Barrel
  • Silver
$24.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/05/2013 at 14:31

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 14:36
Leupold 6.5-20x40 VX-3 Riflescope Fine Duplex Leupold 6.5-20x40 VX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66550
  • Matte
  • Fine Duplex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
  • Elevation Adjustment Range90.00 moa
    Windage Adjustment Range90.00 moa
$699.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 01:54
Had this problem with a savage long range varminter.....bought it new in box at a substantial discount, was sealed, but even using Burris signatures adjustable rings could not take the cant out of it to where I felt good with it, especially for medium to longer range. I gave up, figured not drilled and tapped straight, and sold rifle. No problems with it since!
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 15:28
http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12682.aspx

This is the VX3. I wonder if savage will fix the problem if it is the alignment of the base screws. I really enjoy the feel of this gun.
H.D.- MO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H.D.- MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 11:28

Had a similar problem with a Savage model 12FV .223, the rifle shot FOUR FEET to the right

no matter what I tried. Swapped scopes,rings, bases several times, made sure everthing was tight,

checked hole alignment,nothing helped. Finally checked the muzzle with pilots from a crowning tool,

the largest pilot I had easily slipped into the muzzle for about two inches then suddenly tightened up.

The muzzle had what amounted to, a reverse choke. I called Savage, explained the issue and what I had determined to be the problem, I sent the rifle back to them, the rebarreled it and sent it back.

The rifle now shoots under a half inch cosistently and several times a quarter inch with just about every bullet I tried. It likes 69 grain Sierra's the best
.22-250 HDM IMP. SHOOTER
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 12:38
I would be looking at the rifle at this point..

One quick question, have you tried different ammo?

You could potentially just have a load issue.

If you have taken all the excellent advise from above and tried different ammo I would check the crown or have a smith look at it (is there a good one locally, perhaps where you bought the gun?)

You may be left with calling Savage to get an RMA..
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 12:52
That scope shows 71MOA http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-4-5-14x40mm-cds/ so it should have 71 inches of adjustment half of which should be up half down half right half left.

Call Savage and ask them. (413) 568-7001   service (please have your serial number available)

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 14:52
Thanks guys for the info. I actually just traded it and another bolt action for a Savage 10BAS
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 23:15
OK now you really will need a scope with a LOT of adjustment. (which caliber did you get?)

http://www.samplelist.com/TradeInForm.aspx  trade in form if you want to trade scopes.

http://swfa.com/Savage-C3305.aspx   Talley Base for Savage Long Action +20MOA

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2013 at 13:58
I got it in 308. For right now I put my Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 with Burris tactical rings
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic