OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65
    Posted: May/30/2013 at 20:21

Thanks Skylar McMahon and S.W.F.A  for helping out on latest purchased !
Its a real winner....
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 09:20
That is what I'm talking about.

Mr. Kerr, would you be so kind to write a small review or post on SWFA.com what you think about the spotter?

Glad to see that it arrived quickly as well. Excellent
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 09:37
Awesome.

I was glassing with the angled Razor 65 for bears last night.  This scope is an outstanding value!  Sharp to 48x.

Does the foot fit in that head without the adapter plate?
-Matt
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 10:48
Skylar, I will post review for sure when I get back after weekend. I get to go ride with oldest daughter and her husband on fundraiser for Salvation Army in Somerset,PA. We get to ride on the Allegheny rail-trail and looking forward to it. 
Here is a picture of the cruiser from a last weeks training session along the Huron River.

Hi Matt, I did have to mount plate in order for it to work. I also think that this scope is an outstanding value. Their wasn't much to review on it, but made my choice based on its big brother. The sharpness 
is very impressive to say the least.. 
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 11:35
48X with a 65mm objective?

I have the older 20-60x85 and like it allot.  I have gone to the 30X mil reticle wide angle eye piece for most applications.

I am curious to know how it works out.  I don't need a new spotter, but get lots of requests for recommendations.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 11:43
RC,

the 16-48 is the same eyepiece as the 20-60 on the 85.  It comes marked 16-48 when ordered with the 65.

The 30x MIL eyepiece will work with the 65 too, but provides 24x magnification.
-Matt
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 11:53
Makes sense.

I recommend the fixed wide angle, much brighter, slightly sharper, buch wider FOV (obviously.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 13:08
Thanks to SWFA and Kevin's latest spotter, I now have the 20-60x80 ED Elite he has been showing you guys here for awhile.
I used it on the moon rises and the eclipse last weekend up on Lake Superior. It is a a fine scope. We are going to get together and compare his new Vortex and the Elite very soon.
Doug
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 13:09
I'd like to hear how it appeals to you Doug.
Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 07:01
I am strongly considering this 16-48 x 65.  I am leaning hard at 65mm for weight and pack ability.  I like the low mag goes down to 16 as well.  The Price is basically like buying the high end Kowa and getting eyepiece for free.  I am not sure I will have any regrets with the Razor especially because it is my first spotter.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 11:24
I reviewed the 85mm Razor and I am currently playing with the 50mm one.

If the new 65mm holds the same standards as the 85mm, there is very little to differentiate it from the more expensive alpha spotters.

I am well familiar with both eyepieces they use on the larger Razors and they are quite good.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 11:59
Very nice Kev, great choice in tripod too!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 12:15

Thanks Mike.                It just so happens I am heading to Dougs for the first review tonight, its been a long time coming...  Smile  This might come at a good time Cajun.

Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 13:11
Yep, Are you happy with the straight purchase?  I am struggling between straight and angled.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 13:07
I will let Kevin get the bulk of observations going on this. But, the 16-48x65 is very high end glass. I was really surprised about the edge to edge sharpness. It has better resolution than the Elite at all powers and nearly all ranges.
The Elite is angled and the Vortex is straight. For general spotting I will take the straight. It is easier to pick up objects and really nice when standinding behind the eye piece. In the most comfortable standing position with the angled, I still am tipping my head down with my chin on my chest. The straight view is a more natural upright position.
Doug
Rudy Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudy Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 19:52
I'm jealous, I think that is the one I will be getting in the near future. Now if I only had more $$$...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic