OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

flashlight for hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flashlight for hunting
    Posted: May/30/2013 at 04:52
I need your advice. Tell me about your flashlight? Do you use it for hunting? If yes, which one? how many lumens? budget?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2013 at 07:17
Not legal here in Kali.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2013 at 07:39
Can only use the for hunting coons with dogs in Ontario.

Check out this link, might give you some ideas.

www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...242149-Best-Hunting-Flashlight-Maglite
God save the Empire!
fishbone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2013 at 07:11
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Can only use the for hunting coons with dogs in Ontario.

Check out this link, might give you some ideas.

www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...242149-Best-Hunting-Flashlight-Maglite

Thank you for the link, but it doesn't workSad

I'm a noob in hunting. And why can only use for hunting coons with dogs?
Can you explain me this, pleaseBig Smile
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2013 at 07:25
Its called a law.  Laws are often generated for poplitical reasons and have no bases in fact or justifiable logiocal reason.   its referred to as the Dumbocratic Effect..
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2013 at 07:32
Ones like using spot lights at night for hunting make sense, deer and other game freeze and are easy prey. No sport in that.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2013 at 08:11
Here you can use a flashlight to get to a stand or blind, or to locate downed game after sunset, but that's it. You can not use a light to take game, unless your coon hunting.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2013 at 09:02
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Here you can use a flashlight to get to a stand or blind, or to locate downed game after sunset, but that's it. You can not use a light to take game, unless your coon hunting.

Same in New York.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2013 at 00:36
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Same in New York.
Same here in Michigan as well.
Give me a shot, I won't disappoint!
fishbone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 07:05
Ok, but the way, do you use a flashlight for any other purposes? I need advice.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 07:08
Head lamp for gutting after dark. Really saves on the fingers.

Cool

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 12:33
I was just thinking the same thing and i really wished i would have taken one on the boat last week fishing. Use them alot dog hunting at night its nice to have free hands and then also a good led hand held .
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 16:02
I'm a big fan of Sure Fire flashlights. 

I've not been exposed admittedly to all the other stuff out there, but Sure Fire lights have always worked and worked well for me in the field. My OLD 6P is currently mounted on my home defense shotgun and the newer SF G2 is with me in my truck.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 17:56
Good stuff!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 18:03
I almost forgot, I have a Stream Light TLR-1?? on my AR and man, that thing is BRIGHT!!! Really good product. 

Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 22:14
https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=188&cid=16

This is one of the best I've ever used. Battery life is incredible and for trackin blood I can't imagine goin without it. Its the only light I carried in the shop. They have a good selection to meet the need.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 07:37
I use this for coon hunting -

lightest I've found and brightest amounst our group.  They all have the old style with 5# batteries on their hips.  They think mines whimpy until they need to see way up the tree and change their minds.

For to and from my stand I use a stylus style pen light or small LED flashlight.  I have used a green and a red filter before but I don't think it makes a difference
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 08:36
I use two surefire's that are pretty small and lightweight(one is smaller than the other). I believe both are 65 lumens and take 2 batteries. I have a hat clip that has green lights(think it's a stream light)that works pretty well for just walking in. The surefires are awesome but go through batteries pretty quick if your trailing for a long time(1-2 hours straight).That why I carry two usually(bowhunting anyway). Just finding a stand or something they will last a pretty good while. I have big mag-lites , and a multitude of other LED flashlights that are no where near as good for tracking as the surefire's I have. They are super bright and the light is real white so blood shows up well !My big mag-lite kind of has a yellowish light that even when it's bright it's not as easy to see the blood as my surefires that are 5 times smaller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 09:15
cbm, you can switch out to a 120 lumens deal for your SF. I did.

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 10:33
Thanks man ! I will definately do one of those before season !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic