OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss binos
    Posted: May/28/2013 at 08:59
Looking to buy a new Binoculair of high quality.

I have thought about either a Conquest HD 10x42 or a VictoryFL 10x42 or 10x50 or whatever I can find second hand.

Somewhere I heard that the Conquest HD and VictoryFL is the same binoculair in differnt designs. (VictoryFL has been replaced by VicotoryHT).

If this is somehow true, Ill go for the new conquestHD. But I dont know if it is..
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 10:13
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 12:29
The Conquest HD and Victory are not the same binocular.

Between the two, I would also pick the Conquest HD over an FL. For me, the increase in cost of the FL is not worth the increase in performance. As always, YMMV (and anyone else's too).

In case you didn't know, Zeiss is also coming out with an HD binocular that should sell around the $400 price point. Might be worth your time to investigate, depending on your budget.

I case you haven't done so, also look at the Vortex Razor and the Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD, Kowa Genesis, and perhaps the Steiner Peregrine XP.    Personally, at normal retail prices I would probably pick the Conquest HD over all of these, but I gotta say that I really liked the Meopta when I briefly examined it......
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 12:54
As stated the new Conquest and the FL are different designs.  The view is different too, the Conquest has pretty much done away with the very cool blue oriented color bias of the FL.

Depending on budget and other personal factors, I'd suggest starting at the lower price end of about $600 with either a Leupold McKinley or a ZEN Prime HD.  The Vortex Viper HD fits in that price niche too, but has a LOT less field of view.

Stepping up one notch in price brackets there is the already mentioned Conquest and Meopta.  You could add the Vortex Razor HD, but it seems (to me anyway) not to offer any more than the Conquest and will cost you another $300 or so.

I would seriously like to see an Alpen Rainier HD-ED.  These things kicked butt in both the Allbinos review and in the Allbinos Endurance test.  See allbinos.com, or just Google allbinos, which is a review site in Poland, of all places.

I have as my personal unit a Leupold Gold Ring HD, which is very likely not going to be replaced by any of the above.  My personal Prime and McKinley are likely safe too.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2013 at 22:14
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

As stated the new Conquest and the FL are different designs.  The view is different too, the Conquest has pretty much done away with the very cool blue oriented color bias of the FL.

Depending on budget and other personal factors, I'd suggest starting at the lower price end of about $600 with either a Leupold McKinley or a ZEN Prime HD.  The Vortex Viper HD fits in that price niche too, but has a LOT less field of view.

Stepping up one notch in price brackets there is the already mentioned Conquest and Meopta.  You could add the Vortex Razor HD, but it seems (to me anyway) not to offer any more than the Conquest and will cost you another $300 or so.

I would seriously like to see an Alpen Rainier HD-ED.  These things kicked butt in both the Allbinos review and in the Allbinos Endurance test.  See allbinos.com, or just Google allbinos, which is a review site in Poland, of all places.

I have as my personal unit a Leupold Gold Ring HD, which is very likely not going to be replaced by any of the above.  My personal Prime and McKinley are likely safe too.

Klamath:

Have you done a side by side or read a good review on the Victory FL vs Conquest HD for low light performance?  I am curious if there is much difference. 
KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2013 at 22:23
How about the Kahles.  I also like the Kowa Prominar.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 13:36
I have not seen the Victory HT yet.  Don't know when that may happen either Big Smile.  I have seen the Conquest HD several times and it seems to me to be as good as it is gonna get at $1,000, but I have not seen the Meopta HD yet either.  The Victory Ht is supposed to excel in low light and is supposed to be a designed for hunting binocular, but I bet birders will buy a lot.  There is some information here in the Zeiss section of the Bird Forum binocular sub forum.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 14:09
If I were in the market for a high end bino at the $1000 or so price point, I'd have a hard time passing up a like new/demo Zeiss FL 101x42 for $1200.   Fantastic stuff, and trying to wring out the last bit of optical excellence comes at a high price, which is not worth it to me.  
KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 17:09
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

If I were in the market for a high end bino at the $1000 or so price point, I'd have a hard time passing up a like new/demo Zeiss FL 101x42 for $1200.   Fantastic stuff, and trying to wring out the last bit of optical excellence comes at a high price, which is not worth it to me.  

Try finding the 10 X 42 Fl's these days.  Pretty tough to do.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 19:20
Not really hard at all to find a mint used/demo.  Since Zeiss has a lifetime transferrable warranty you can buy them with peace of mind included.  
KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2013 at 17:07
Zeiss 10 X 42's FL for Sale

FYI: http://www.opticstalk.com/zeiss-10-x-42-fl_topic37134.html

Krazelegs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic