OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice on new rifle scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yemtig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on new rifle scope
    Posted: May/27/2013 at 20:13
Hi all, new member here and wanted some advice....

I have a .223, .30-06, and a .22-250 as far as rifles...  I currently use Nikon buckmaster 3x9 scopes on all 3 and wanted to take a step up in quality and magnification...

I am currently looking at the 4x16 and the 6x32 Vortex PST line of scopes and wanted some advice based on the info I'll be giving you...

1)  Budget-Wanted to keep it topped out at $1000 or so...

2)  Tactical turrets are a must...  I'd like to have matching turrets (mil-mil) as well...

3)  I would like to mount my scope in a one piece QD base so that I can move the scope from gun to gun via picatinnay rails...  I don't really have the $$ to buy good glass for all my rifles but would like to move this scope from gun to gun depending on what I am hunting....  Keep in mind that I reload for all my calibers, so ammo cost in rezeroing as I move from gun to gun is not an issue..

5)  ffp or sfp??  Kinda torn between this one as I really like the idea of having an ffp scope and having 1 mil=1 mil at any zoom range...  Realize that zero is zero for either...  I like to target shoot with my .223 and mainly hunt mulies and elk with my .30-06 in New Mexico...  Never had a ffp scope before and am intrigued... 

6)  Want an illuminated reticle since most of my kills on elk and deer are during the early am and late pm hours...  I have had to pass on a few shots on 6x6 bulls since the reticle was so hard to see in the closing minutes of my hunt day....

7)  4x16 or 6x32??  I tend to think that 4x16 would be best for my needs and the rifles in my arsenal...  But would 6x32 be a better scope to grow into if I plan on purchasing a .338???  I realize that I might eventually need to get another quality scope if I plan on adding more rifles in the future, but just can't manage to atm... 

So should I get a 4x16 or a 6x32??  ffp or sfp??  Are QD mounts ok with a .30-06 and will they hold a reliable zero?? 

Any advice would be appreciated.... 

< name="session" id="session" value="true" ="">
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2013 at 23:08
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx
Simply one of the best bang for the bucks out there. As far as the mounts go, I would suggest a quality set of rings such as these: http://swfa.com/Aadland-Triple-Lug-30mm-Rings-P50709.aspx
Overall they will be lighter, and I bet, at returning to zero. Plus they will give you a better cheek weld than a mount optimized for an AR.
 As far as magnification goes, money does buy you more. At least as far a usable mag goes anyway. And for my dollar, I will always have FFP scopes. When the mirage gets to running here in AZ, I can dial down and still use the reticle without worrying about doing math. And my scopes pull double duty as both range/comp, and hunting rifles.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 12:29
Just curious... why so much magnification?

I can understand 4-16X, but 6-32X is waaaayyy overkill for most big game hunting. That's a good varmint / target scope, not a good all-around BG hunting scope.

Why pay the extra $ and have to deal with the extra weight and bulk of such a massive scope when you don't have to? How far do you intend to shoot at elk? A scope maxing out at 10X - 16X has more than enough magnification to take you well past the point most hunters have any business flinging lead at big game animals. An elk standing at 700 yards will appear as if standing 70 yards away through a 10X optic, and elk aren't small animals. A more moderate power variable scope will also provide wider field of view on the low end for when you're hunting in the thick stuff. If you have to make a quick shot at moving game up-close, you'll have a difficult time acquiring your target and may miss your opportunity with a 6-32X unless you have magnification turned all the way down because FOV will be too narrow. In addition, low light performance will be poor through such a high magnification scope on all but the lowest magnification settings due to a very small exit pupil. A quality scope with a 50mm or 56mm objective maxing out at 10X or 12X will give you the best combination of image "brightness" in low light without having to lug around a Hubble telescope.

Too many people seem to think "more is better" in everything, and over-scope their rifles unnecessarily.... and incidentally, having a bigger caliber rifle doesn't call for more magnification. In many cases, the exact opposite is true. Having more velocity and higher bullet BC, resulting in flatter trajectory, may call for more magnification to a point...but only if the rifle and shooter are accurate enough to truly exploit the flatter trajectory.

Edited by RifleDude - May/28/2013 at 12:34
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 12:46
I would tend to echo the caution offered by RifleDude, especially if you tend to shoot in darker conditions. The lower powered optics are going to generally perform better for you in the early and late hours of the hunting day.

Another way to go might be to look at something like:

http://www.samplelist.com/Bushnell-5-15x40-Elite-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P63021.aspx

Just to see if you really do want the higher power once you use it for a bit.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 12:46
Vortex PST scopes in question are 4-16x50 and 6-24x50.  Vortex does not make a 6-32x model to the best of my knowledge.

If you want a general purpose scope to do a little bit of everything, go with 4-16x50 or a similar configuration.

The 3-15x42 SS mentioned above is an excellent choice.

As far as reticle location goes, I really like FFP designs ad if precision shooting is part of what you want to do, FFP is a good idea.

ILya
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 11:16
Originally posted by yemtig yemtig wrote:

Hi all, new member here and wanted some advice....

I have a .223, .30-06, and a .22-250 as far as rifles...  I currently use Nikon buckmaster 3x9 scopes on all 3 and wanted to take a step up in quality and magnification...

I am currently looking at the 4x16 and the 6x32 Vortex PST line of scopes and wanted some advice based on the info I'll be giving you...

1)  Budget-Wanted to keep it topped out at $1000 or so...

2)  Tactical turrets are a must...  I'd like to have matching turrets (mil-mil) as well...

3)  I would like to mount my scope in a one piece QD base so that I can move the scope from gun to gun via picatinnay rails...  I don't really have the $$ to buy good glass for all my rifles but would like to move this scope from gun to gun depending on what I am hunting....  Keep in mind that I reload for all my calibers, so ammo cost in rezeroing as I move from gun to gun is not an issue..

5)  ffp or sfp??  Kinda torn between this one as I really like the idea of having an ffp scope and having 1 mil=1 mil at any zoom range...  Realize that zero is zero for either...  I like to target shoot with my .223 and mainly hunt mulies and elk with my .30-06 in New Mexico...  Never had a ffp scope before and am intrigued... 

6)  Want an illuminated reticle since most of my kills on elk and deer are during the early am and late pm hours...  I have had to pass on a few shots on 6x6 bulls since the reticle was so hard to see in the closing minutes of my hunt day....

7)  4x16 or 6x32??  I tend to think that 4x16 would be best for my needs and the rifles in my arsenal...  But would 6x32 be a better scope to grow into if I plan on purchasing a .338???  I realize that I might eventually need to get another quality scope if I plan on adding more rifles in the future, but just can't manage to atm... 

So should I get a 4x16 or a 6x32??  ffp or sfp??  Are QD mounts ok with a .30-06 and will they hold a reliable zero?? 

Any advice would be appreciated.... 

< name="session" id="session" value="true" ="">

1) Is this your budget for all three scopes? or would you like it to be under $1K for each rifle?

2) The PST boasts that feature as well as several other manufactuers.

3) Answers my first question. Rings, your best option would be to look at Leupold QRW or Warne

4) Are you going to prodominantly be hungting with this? If you plan to also shoot target, I would suggest implementing FFP.
Not saying you cannot utilize SFP for target, but I would be far more comfortable using a scope that had a FFP reticle.

5) Still in luck with the PST, because the illumination is a standard feature on all magnifications.

6) In this case, I would reccomend something with less magnification, since you stated that most of your hunting will be in low light, the exit pupil is larger with less magnification. In addition you will also have a wider field of view with less magnification.
I'm curious why you would like a 6-24? I think this is entirely too much magnification for about 90% of any hunting scenerio that would be encountered. I believe you would be better served with the 4-16.

I value your questions, but I do not think that the PST would be an optimum choice for big game. Would it work? Certainly, but taking into consideration of the weight of the rifle, scope, and any additional gear that you are carrying with you, I believe you will be exhausted before you reach the summit.

Just based on the knowledge that I have and hunting bear in the Boston Mtns. in NW Arkansas at 2000 ft. and how tired I was with just a bow, binos, and a small back pack, I can't begin to fathom the what Elk would be like. This is based off what I have heard from a couple on here and men that I have spoken with over the phone. One of the largestest concerns that they have is weight, and that is why several of them have choosen the Swarovski Z3, because of it weight, light transmission and and overal superior optical quality.

Now with QD rings, and the calibers, I'm willing to bet because the BCE is different, you are going to have to re-zero everytime you change from gun to gun, but with FFP and mil/mil this would be an exceptionally easy fix.

If it were me, I would lean toward the SS 3-15 and some Talley LW rings.
1) it is an exceptional magnification range.
2)Low light is exceptional.
3) The amount of internal adjustment is huge. There is a minimum of 40 mils of internal travel.
4) Side focus is from 6 meters - infinity.
5) Turrets are very tactile. Also configured in in mil/mil in .10 Mrad adjustments to correspond with the reticle.

I have 4-16 PST currently on a 300 WM, before that I was using a Leupold VX-3, but now, I am saving up for the 3-15, if that tells you anything.

yemtig View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yemtig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 14:02
Appreciate all the answers guys...  I did do a typo on my initial post saying I was looking at 4x16 and 6x32 but it should have been 6x24....  for my elk gun, I would really only want to stepup to a 4x16.....

I have been using cheap 100 dollar scopes for years but just wanted one really nice piece of glass to switch from my rifles while I hunt throughout the year...  It sounds like I can use a QD setup to do this...  I have always hunted using a 3x9 Nikon Buckmaster on my .30-06 when chasing elk and have never had any problems but would like to do more long range target shooting out to about 600-700 yards...  I currently am a member of a nice range with both 0-560yd and 0-1000yd ranges so the desire to use both is what I'm getting at...

I can afford to buy good glass for all my guns, but really have a hard time dropping the cash...  That's why I'd like my hunting rigs to "share" some glass until I eventually drop the cash down on a two of them...

So I probably want 4x16 and ffp if possible with mil-mil matching reticle and target turrets...  Any and all suggestions around $1000 would be appreciated...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic